TO THE BATPOLES podcast #78: The Batpole signs aren't missing, and the monkey is

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES podcast #78: The Batpole signs aren't missing, and the monkey is

Post by bat-rss »

At first glance, Stanford Sherman's draft script of Pop Goes the Joker doesn't seem to vary much from the final. A few minor oversights of Sherman's were fixed (Oh, there are signs on the Batpoles?), and there were the usual cuts to lines to keep within the allotted time. But look a little deeper, and there are places where decisions by director George Waggner hurt or helped the arc, some interesting removed bits that we would've liked to see (and a stage direction we're glad wasn't taken literally!), and some subtle but important changes in how Baby Jane Towser was portrayed. Tim and Paul explore the development of this surprisingly good late season two episode.

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/078-pop ... -monkey-is
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
darrellsan

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #78: The Batpole signs aren't missing, and the monkey is

Post by darrellsan »

Hi guys,
I know this is the All Seeing, All Knowing Batman 1966 Message Board but you did ask a question about the old Mission Impossible TV show. Yes, there was a whole lot of face-mask-taking-off in that series, starting with the pilot episode. Martin Landau was the main person who got to take off his face, followed by Barbara Bain, Peter Graves and Leonard Nimoy, who replaced Landau in the 70's. Speaking of Nimoy, when Star Trek ended, he didn't miss a beat and jumped right into Mission Impossible. If Adam West indeed felt it took a couple of years before an actor could find work again after playing an iconic role (such as Batman or Spock), well Nimoy proved that notion wrong.
Speaking of Art Carney (which we weren't but just go with it) from the Archer episodes, he kept referencing a laugh track machine which he "purloined" from a producer of "alleged comedies." My take on the joke here is that by 1966, nearly every comedy used a laugh track, whereas in Carney's heyday, they did their comedy in front of a live audience (and therefore had to be truly funny, unlike, say, anyone who ever appeared on Gilligan's Island). I took it as Carney getting in a sly dig at the sad state of comedy television circa 1966. But that's just me.
Thanks guys for another great podcast. Hope I didn't derail the thread too much.
Dan E Kool

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #78: The Batpole signs aren't missing, and the monkey is

Post by Dan E Kool »

I love Pop Goes The Joker. I can't tell if you guys actually dislike Diana Ivarson's performance or if you're just kidding around. She's legitimately one of my favorite parts of this two-parter. The way she seems to shout every one of her lines at the top of her lungs cracks me up! Top five molls for me for sure. (Cheerleader Susie is right up there, too. ;) )
- Boy Genius
High C

Post by High C »

Ivarson makes Terry Moore as Venus look like Meryl Streep, IMO.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

High C wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:19 pm Ivarson makes Terry Moore as Venus look like Meryl Streep, IMO.
In a good way!
- Boy Genius
High C

Post by High C »

Dan E Kool wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:25 pm
High C wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:19 pm Ivarson makes Terry Moore as Venus look like Meryl Streep, IMO.
In a good way!
Well, they're both terrible in their roles, IMO, but if you get laughs from them, that's fine. To each his own. I just feel both of them take me out of the show because they feel like they're performing for a different series. Ivarson shouts her lines like a country bumpkin from Gomer Pyle or The Andy Griffith Show, which doesn't fit a rich young woman in an allegedly urban (and urbane) setting.

If Ivarson had played Baby Jane more as a self-absorbed airhead, instead of someone with the IQ of a grapefruit, I probably would have liked the arc more.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

I think the entire art performance scene (and Dick Grayson's "Governor" comment) was just marching to the same anti-pretentious art drum beat by many American TV series, including The Monkees, Bewitched, The Munsters and others aired in the 60s and beyond. To me, it illustrates just how different Hollywood producers and writers were--culturally speaking--from that scene. After all, despite Holywood's attempt to take advantage of any new social and/or cultural trend for exploitation purposes, many directors, producers and studio heads were from older generations, not as "edgy", or living the same life as the artists they mocked.

In other words, its not so much about Batman allegedly being a sitcom (even by late season two standards), and more to do with a resistance to the self-important art scenes of the 50s and 60s. Going back to The Monkees (a group and series that starred and was created by fairly counter culture individuals)even they found it easy to call out the pretentious modern art movement, as seen In this clip from the episode "Art for Monkee's Sake"--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRsgLDwh-9M

Diana Ivarson...anyone surprised at her six--count 'em--six career credits as an actress?

*crickets chirping*

About the value of a superhero secret identity: Well, arguably one of comics' biggest stories--the death of Peter Parker's girlfriend Gwen Stacy--only happened (in-universe) because the Green Goblin knew Spider-Man's true identity. If Parker's identity had not been compromised (in Amazing Spider-Man#39), the Stacy character lives. That's a pretty good reason keeping a secret identity...secret is important.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Given that music also falls under the wide umbrella of art, it's not surprising that many shows in the the 1960's routinely ridiculed rock music and the "long hair" of The Beatles, etc. Chad & Jeremy got plenty of guest appearances on sitcoms (and Batman, of course), most likely because their bouncy and mellow music was considered "safe."
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:35 pm Diana Ivarson...anyone surprised at her six--count 'em--six career credits as an actress?

*crickets chirping*
Too bad she never met John Waters - she would have fit right in with his stock company in the 1970s! She could have played Mink Stole's sister... :lol:
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Yes, one definitely can tell that "the establishment" was writing the bulk of sixties TV shows. The other side of the "generation gap" wasn't old enough yet.
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"