BURT WARD's Fantastic -- But CASEY KASEM Was Robin's Perfect Voice

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dan Greenfield

BURT WARD's Fantastic -- But CASEY KASEM Was Robin's Perfect Voice

Post by Dan Greenfield »

Hey, folks:

Here's a piece I posted over at 13th Dimension that you may dig.

Burt Ward was obviously the total package when it comes to Robin, but here's a tribute to Casey Kasem -- Robin's perfect voice:

https://13thdimension.com/casey-kasem-r ... est-voice/

Check it out if you like!

-- Dan
Jackbtripper

Re: BURT WARD's Fantastic -- But CASEY KASEM Was Robin's Perfect Voice

Post by Jackbtripper »

That’s interesting. I’m not sure which I prefer. I’m a big fan of the New Adventures of Batman which was the one time Ward provided the voice of Robin on a show. It’s though because when Adam and Burt were together it was magic and probably why I like that show. Even more intersting is that Ward’s Robin never changed but Adam changed his Batman in the animated Batman and SuperPowers show. Adam’s cartoon Batman was much more serious and even Darker. If you haven’t seen it, check out Adam West in the Super Powers team with Adam West’s Batman dealing with the death of Bruce’s parents in the crime alley episode.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Eh.

Kasem's version of Robin was too scratchy and strained in an attempt to mimic the tone of Burt Ward's far younger voice & energetic delivery. It served the 1968-69 Batman series, but one can never forget that Kasem is trying to copy Ward, instead of creating a different take on the character. Further, since Kasem was also voicing other cartoons of the period, it was impossible to separate him from any number of cartoon characters.
Beneath Wayne Manor
High C

Post by High C »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:59 am Further, since Kasem was also voicing other cartoons of the period, it was impossible to separate him from any number of cartoon characters.
I concur. I think of him as Shaggy first, American Top 40 second and everything else after that.

And the fact that Burt had so few non-Robin credits in the 1970s and early 1980s actually cements it for me that much more. As an adolescent, I knew him for nothing but Robin.

I think Casey was fine as Robin, but I'm always half-expecting him to ask Bats for a Scooby snack or to announce a long-distance dedication. Zoinks!
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

Burt Ward is the Boy Wonder. There's no denying that. And it's great when it's Burt's voice playing sidekick to Adam West's, like in New Adventures or the recent '66 animated revivals, because of how it conjures up memories of the original show. That being said, I think it's fair to say that Casey Kasem was the superior voice actor. Doesn't matter what the role was, Casey was just a pro at what he did.
- Boy Genius
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

I gotta go 50/50 on this one. I come from the time of watching both the original live-action and Saturday morning animated series back in the late '60s. For me, it's second nature to accept Burt Ward as the live-action Robin and Casey Kasem as the animated Robin - especially when considering Casey did cartoon Robin from '68 to '85 (excluding Burt's one off with the separate '77 run which I also liked - except for irritating Bat-Mite!). When I watch Scooby Doo I don't hear or think of Robin and vice-versa when watching original animated Batman or the Super Friends. Actually, when I watch the two early '70s Batman and Robin appearances on Scooby Doo I never find myself thinking it's the same guy voicing two characters. To me they're separate and distinct. Shaggy has a lazy, wavering and bellowing voice while, Robin is energetic and intense.

If I may go further, I find that Casey's actual voice is also distinct enough when I listen to repeats of American Top 40 broadcasts every week. There, he sounds like the musically authoritative disc jockey the world knew him to be and I don't ever think about the cartoon voice-overs he did - just listen to him talking about whatever given musical scene at the time. I also found he did a great Peter Falk/Columbo imitation on the 2-part eisode 'Mystery of the Hollywood Phantom' - one of my favorites from the '70s Hardy Boys ABC TV series.

In any event, Casey's various voice performances, legendary radio show, and subsequent passing (like Adam's and all the others form that great era) leave me with a sad feeling inside sometimes that pines for the older days. :cry:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

I must be really immature because I couldn't get past the use of the phrase "total package". :-)
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

Holy long distance dedication!!

Kasem is WAY too famous for me to hear him and not immediately think of American Top 40. When I watch those cartoon versions of Batman & Robin, it's Kasem pretending to be Robin. For the record, that's not at all a knock. He was awesome as the voice of American Top 40. I loved it when it was happening back in the 70s and I still enjoy it now. I listen to it most weekends. They replay them on SiriusXM every Saturday & Sunday.

I don't have a problem with other people voicing The Dynamic Duo, but Kasem is Kasem no matter who he's voicing, so it's still a bit of a fourth wall break. I still like it though.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I never had a problem with Kasem as Robin, but Olan Soule always seemed a strange choice for Batman. Oddly, I eventually came to accept him "in costume" but when his voice came out of the very youthful, broad-shouldered Bruce Wayne, it never failed to be jarring.

When I finally got to see what Soule looked like "in the flesh," there was even more of a disconnect for me. I saw him on an episode of "The Andy Griffith Show" and next to him, Don Knotts looked like Hercules. Now it's almost impossible for me to get into the Filmation cartoon when he talks. Super-Friends I kind of give a pass because (1) it's how I remember it, so what the heck and (2) the show was nuts from every other angle, so why not?

The 60s cartoon seemed especially top-heavy with high-pitched male voices, between Batman, Robin, Gordon and all the villains Ted Knight voiced. It almost seemed like the actors were in a competition to see who could hit the highest octave. In that setting, having a bass-voiced Batman would've been a godsend.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
ja_stilwell

Post by ja_stilwell »

I haven't posted in this forum in quite awhile and that's because "real life" and some personal projects were taking up a lot of my time. Now, I still lurk now and then, but found nothing really pertinent to say, which I think was perhaps the "real" reason I haven't posted... plus I'm very sad about Adam's passing and I'm the kind of person who hides and does not like to talk or comment about the passing of anyone and I certainly wouldn't want to be judged for NOT commenting. I lost my daughter to suicide back in 2010. It took me a long time before I could even mention her name to friends and family without tearing up and even now(8 years later) I still tear up talking about it. It's a little different commenting on social media(nobody can see your face or hear sadness in your voice), still I feel awkward talking/commenting on the passing of anybody...everyone deals with it differently and I guess there is no right or wrong way of dealing with it.

You might remember I was doing episode commentaries in the archived forum, I started a reboot of my episode reviews two years ago with the pilot episode and never went anywhere with it since...I'm thinking of starting that up again, I'll pick up where I left off.

SprangFan wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:50 pm I never had a problem with Kasem as Robin, but Olan Soule always seemed a strange choice for Batman. Oddly, I eventually came to accept him "in costume" but when his voice came out of the very youthful, broad-shouldered Bruce Wayne, it never failed to be jarring.
I agree with Dan, Casey was fantastic as Robin. After reading through this post it occurred to me that there were several other Saturday morning cartoon characters that Casey voiced, which I can't think of off the top of my head. I believe "Speed buggy" was one of those other cartoons I think he voiced(I might be wrong), but it was truly Casey's voice for Robin that sold this cartoon...it wasn't a Saturday morning cartoon without Casey's voice as one of the characters.

In response to Sprangfans comment, as a kid "Olan Soule" I thought was better suited for the animated Batman than Adam West. The switch from Batman to Bruce(with Olan's voice) didn't bother me(I still feel this way) and the same was true for Robin/Dick Grayson. As an adult re-watching these cartoons, I find that it's Casey's voice coming out of 'filmations" Dick Grayson, Jarring. I think it's because the 60's live action show and the comics was that the intended depiction was that of a teenage kid...Casey's voice comes across as way too mature to voice a teenage kid.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Heck, Casey did Shaggy from Scooby Doo, Josie and Pussy Cat's manager, Alexander Cabot III, and voices for the Transformers cartoons.
Music. BAT! Music.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:59 am.Further, since Kasem was also voicing other cartoons of the period, it was impossible to separate him from any number of cartoon characters.
I agree. The first cartoon I heard Kasem's voice used was the Hot Wheels show which ran from '69 to 71. His character was named Dexter Carter. After Ward the cartoon producers should have used an actual teenager voice actor in my opinion.

Btw - another voice actor in the Hot Wheels cartoon was Albert Brooks as Kip Chogi.
https://youtu.be/2faOHCNFB6o
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11