LEE MERIWETHER on the Sadness of VICTOR BUONO

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dan Greenfield

LEE MERIWETHER on the Sadness of VICTOR BUONO

Post by Dan Greenfield »

Hey, folks:

Victor Buono would have been 80 today. Here's a recent interview with Lee Meriwether at 13th Dimension, where she talks about working with him on BATMAN:

https://13thdimension.com/lee-meriwethe ... tor-buono/

Check it out if you like!

-- Dan
High C

Re: LEE MERIWETHER on the Sadness of VICTOR BUONO

Post by High C »

I enjoyed all three parts of the Meriwether interview but feel compelled to point out that her recollection of why Julie Newmar didn't do the movie isn't correct. Archival research by others on this board has demonstrated that Julie had a signed contract to do the movie but had to bow out because of a back injury. I'm not criticizing Lee--from everything I've heard and read, she apparently is a wonderful person. But I believe she is mis-remembering, so to speak.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
dell

Post by dell »

Hey High C, I agree with you. We have discussed before on this board how people form the show don't remember the details of things that happened over 50 years ago. Think about your job, do you remember specific details about events that happened even 5 years ago? I sure don't. And Batman was over 50 years ago. Additionally, the issue really didn't involve Lee other than she got the role meant for Julie.
dell
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Yes, and she calls out Gene Roddenberry for being welcoming on Star Trek, but by the time of her episode, I'm pretty sure he'd been run off in favor of Freddy Freiberger.

But 50 years is a long time ago, and she's as beautiful at 80 as she ever was. I remember watching her on Barnaby Jones as a kid and my Mom always, always made some comment about how gorgeous she was.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
High C

Post by High C »

SprangFan wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:25 pm Yes, and she calls out Gene Roddenberry for being welcoming on Star Trek, but by the time of her episode, I'm pretty sure he'd been run off in favor of Freddy Freiberger.

But 50 years is a long time ago, and she's as beautiful at 80 as she ever was. I remember watching her on Barnaby Jones as a kid and my Mom always, always made some comment about how gorgeous she was.
True, Roddenberry was no longer involved in the day-to-day showrunning.

I give Meriwether credit for putting in the time and studying acting. She wasn't merely trying to coast by on her (extremely) good looks and her Miss America crown. She wanted to do it the right way.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
K.G. Bird

Post by K.G. Bird »

Lee Merriweather's favorite Catwoman was Eartha Kitt? To each his own. I guess she was very good but as a boy I thought Julie Newmar was so incredibly beautiful and sexy. She was the grooviest Catwoman in my opinion and no one could replace her. IMO.
"Really Dick! I fear some recent romantic interlude has fevered your imagination. Aunt Harriet is..utterly..beyond..reproach".
dell

Post by dell »

K.G. Bird wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:23 am Lee Merriweather's favorite Catwoman was Eartha Kitt? To each his own. I guess she was very good but as a boy I thought Julie Newmar was so incredibly beautiful and sexy. She was the grooviest Catwoman in my opinion and no one could replace her. IMO.
I pick Julie first, then Lee and Eartha a close third. Over the years Eartha's performance has really grown on me and I appreciate her a lot more than I did when I was younger. Halle Berry and Michelle PfeifFer don't make the list - PERIOD!

Since Julie was the first Catwoman I saw she has a special place for me. But I admit my preferences are biased based on Julie's performance. She mixes menacing, flirtatious, serious, funny and many other aspects of the character purrfectly. Neither Lee or Eartha do that. And being a teenage boy when I watched Julie as Catwoman I have a different appreciation of Julie's performance than Lee would as an adult woman. Wink wink.
dell