Ida Lupino's Centennial

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dr. Shimel

Ida Lupino's Centennial

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Today marks exactly 100 years since Dr. Cassandra herself, Ida Lupino, was born. Besides her acting talents, she was also one of the few female directors who worked on a fairly regular basis.
elmrgraham

Re: Ida Lupino's Centennial

Post by elmrgraham »

Happy 61st Anniversary of your 39th Birthday Dr.Cassandra.
High C

Post by High C »

Dr. Shimel wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:06 am Today marks exactly 100 years since Dr. Cassandra herself, Ida Lupino, was born. Besides her acting talents, she was also one of the few female directors who worked on a fairly regular basis.
Interestingly, she starred in one Twilight Zone episode and later directed one. I wish she would have helmed a Batman episode. It would have been fun to see what she would have brought to the table in that capacity.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

High C wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:29 am
Dr. Shimel wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:06 am Today marks exactly 100 years since Dr. Cassandra herself, Ida Lupino, was born. Besides her acting talents, she was also one of the few female directors who worked on a fairly regular basis.
Interestingly, she starred in one Twilight Zone episode and later directed one. I wish she would have helmed a Batman episode. It would have been fun to see what she would have brought to the table in that capacity.
Sadly, given the fact that females in general were seen by Dozier and Co. as either eye candy or from the perspective of the Nora Clavicle episode, that wasn't going to happen.
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Agreed! In a lot of ways I think she would have been far better suited to directing a Season 1 episode than she was suited to playing a Season 3 villain.
High C

Post by High C »

Ben Bentley wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:49 pm
Agreed! In a lot of ways I think she would have been far better suited to directing a Season 1 episode than she was suited to playing a Season 3 villain.
That's a great way to put it. Especially because she was experienced in film noir both in front of behind the camera.

Most of the season 1 and early season 2 directors could play up and literally frame the adventure part of the stories much better than could, say, Oscar Rudolph.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17