Hollywood Walk of Fame/Neil Hamilton

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Therin of Andor

Re: Hollywood Walk of Fame/Neil Hamilton

Post by Therin of Andor »

I was a bit shocked by how run-down the WoF was in January 1984, but it was much cleaner when I returned in December 1991. Luckily, that visit coincided with DeForest Kelley's star ceremony. I caught up with some "Star Trek" friends who had worked on the series and movies, and I got a front-row position for the speeches. The day before, I had checked out the area the event was to be held and found a workman polishing the star for the ceremony! I guess I was one of the first people to see it before it was unveiled the next morning!

DeForest Kelley's star gets a polish by Ian McLean, on Flickr

I did enjoy the bizarre second hand, book, poster, souvenir and costume accessory shops that were prevalent along the strip in the 80s and 90s. Not many left today and all the regular souvenir shops seem to stock the exact same things. In 2013, there were sections that seemed neglected again, but I did find a cool shop that sold vintage packs of sealed bubble gum cards! What fun!

It's still a must-see when in Hollywood.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Big Daddy K wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:33 pm In addition to hearing everyone's opinion on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, can anyone answer my question?
WHEN did Mr. Hamilton get his star?
Try reading the responses.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

rajung wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:22 am I think 02/08/1960 @age 61
Thanks for answering my question. :-)
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Jim Akin wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:14 pm
Big Daddy K wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:33 pm In addition to hearing everyone's opinion on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, can anyone answer my question?
WHEN did Mr. Hamilton get his star?
Try reading the responses.
After your terse responce I went back and spent quite some time scrolling through the page you linked. I guess it was too hard to just cut and paste "On 8 February 1960. At 6634 Hollywood Blvd".
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

I took a stab at finding the date for you, and couldn't which surprised me. Thought it would be readily available. But a quick look showed some photos of Neil Hamilton; I'd been so used to him as Gordon it was interesting to see a much younger version.

cheers
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

robinboyblunderer wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:29 pm I took a stab at finding the date for you, and couldn't which surprised me. Thought it would be readily available. But a quick look showed some photos of Neil Hamilton; I'd been so used to him as Gordon it was interesting to see a much younger version.

cheers
I appreciate your effort.
Having RA and very poor eyesight makes it hard sometimes for me to look up things, especially on this phone. Mostly I use a laptop set at 200% but I was at a Dr's appointment and had to use the phone.
Thanks again!
robinboyblunderer

Big Daddy K wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:13 pm
robinboyblunderer wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:29 pm I took a stab at finding the date for you, and couldn't which surprised me. Thought it would be readily available. But a quick look showed some photos of Neil Hamilton; I'd been so used to him as Gordon it was interesting to see a much younger version.

cheers
I appreciate your effort.
Having RA and very poor eyesight makes it hard sometimes for me to look up things, especially on this phone. Mostly I use a laptop set at 200% but I was at a Dr's appointment and had to use the phone.
Thanks again!
I had to look up RA, if that's arthritis, I'm very sorry to hear that, same with the eyesight issue.

take care and I'm glad someone was able to answer your question.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

I can't complain, really.

I was crippled as a kid and had many, many operations that enabled me to later become a US Marine. Unfortunately all the years I spent in The Corps and then later as a Correctional Officer took its toll and now I'm pretty messed up for only being 58. Thankfully I have the internet and Sat tv to allow me to actually enjoy having to stay at home most of the time. If not for online auctions and deals between fellow collectors here and on FB, I'd be out of the hobby. I appreciate that you took the time to respond. :-)

Here's another benefit of the internet:
http://www.attackfromplanetb.com/2018/0 ... eith-mayo/

https://patchesofpride.wordpress.com/20 ... is-island/
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

robinboyblunderer wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:29 pm I took a stab at finding the date for you, and couldn't which surprised me. Thought it would be readily available.
Same deal here. Nice find, Jim Akin! 👍
- Boy Genius
Carobey

Post by Carobey »

I plan on visiting Hollywood on March 2nd. My trip is for going to see the 1966 Batman exhibit at the Hollywood Museum, Walk of Fame, Bronson Cave, and the Hollywood sign. Is there anything else I should see or go to while I am there? It might be the only time I get out there.
robinboyblunderer

Carobey wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:04 pm I plan on visiting Hollywood on March 2nd. My trip is for going to see the 1966 Batman exhibit at the Hollywood Museum, Walk of Fame, Bronson Cave, and the Hollywood sign. Is there anything else I should see or go to while I am there? It might be the only time I get out there.
I guess it depends on your interests.

If it's still there, Amoeba records is a fun place to pick up some music.
Griffith (?) Griffin observatory is also a neat place to visit.

Wherever you go, give yourself extra time as traffic is terrible. No joke. And it may take a while to find parking unless you have a cab or Uber.

In my opinion, the bars and stuff close a bit early on a weekend compared to other places. I haven't eaten there in years but if you like a good burger, Jerry's Famous Deli in Studio city was pretty good. Like I said, haven't eaten there in years. People are fond of In-n-out burger but I felt it was overrated.

If you're into this sort of thing, there's Chinese Mann Theatre and the area where they hold the oscars.

Anyway, this was off the top of my head. Have a fun safe time. Depending on where you eat drink, be prepared, things are more expensive out there.

cheers
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Big Daddy K wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:56 pm I can't complain, really.

I was crippled as a kid and had many, many operations that enabled me to later become a US Marine. Unfortunately all the years I spent in The Corps and then later as a Correctional Officer took its toll and now I'm pretty messed up for only being 58. Thankfully I have the internet and Sat tv to allow me to actually enjoy having to stay at home most of the time. If not for online auctions and deals between fellow collectors here and on FB, I'd be out of the hobby. I appreciate that you took the time to respond. :-)

Big Daddy K,

I'm ex-Canadian army infantry so please let me salute you and, if I may, extend an "OOH-RAH" to you and your serving years from Devil Dogs to Corrections. :D

Regarding the Walk, I sometimes wonder if it wouldn't have been better to have put the stars on a wall instead? That way the stars could be on a respectable even visual par with the public because, from a symbolic standpoint, being on the ground the stars and their legacies are being "walked all over" and forgotten and 'left in the dust' - so to speak - as multitudes of pedestrians just keep moving along over them day and night. I mean, look in any city and we've all seen people spitting on sidewalks, spilling stuff, dogs doing their stuff, etc. I don't care at all for today's Hollywood, but its history does deserve a certain measure of respect and acknowledgement.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

I saw Francis X. Buschmans star there :)
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Big Daddy K wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:56 pm I can't complain, really.

Semper Fidelis Big Daddy K.
Carobey

Post by Carobey »

Thanks for the info! I was going to try In n out burger but I think I will try Jerry’s famous deli. I was going to use Lyft. Which is cheaper and reliable?