When did the movie first air on TV?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

John Mack

When did the movie first air on TV?

Post by John Mack »

So, you'd think the answer to this would be extremely easy to find. Type in the question on Google, and there's the answer. Nope. I seem to recall the first TV broadcast for the movie in 1970. Not really sure. I remember my mom making popcorn and watching it, but I'm cloudy on when. The promos on ABC would be cool to see as well. Nothing on YouTube. I can hear the announcer's voice in my head to this day: "Tonight. The Dynamic Duo do battle with....or something like that. Oh well, another unanswered question that hopefully one our members can help with.
Music. BAT! Music.
AndyFish

Re: When did the movie first air on TV?

Post by AndyFish »

From Wikipedia;

ABC, the network which previously aired the Batman television series, first broadcast the film on the July 4, 1971 edition of The ABC Sunday Night Movie; the film was quickly rebroadcast on ABC September 4 of that year.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the ratings for it were very high, which lead to many stations ordering the syndication package of the series.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

AndyFish wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:18 am From Wikipedia;

ABC, the network which previously aired the Batman television series, first broadcast the film on the July 4, 1971 edition of The ABC Sunday Night Movie; the film was quickly rebroadcast on ABC September 4 of that year.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the ratings for it were very high, which lead to many stations ordering the syndication package of the series.
Thanks, Andy. I remember watching that back then. Didn't realize at the time it was the movie's TV premier. I believe it followed an episode of The F.B.I. w/ Efrem Zimbalist Jr. (Always loved how the announcer really emphasized his name like it was some fascinating aspect for the show. ;) )
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

AndyFish wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:18 am From Wikipedia;

Thanks Andy! I must have missed that. I'd love to see that opening. It was so impressive!
Music. BAT! Music.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

That scans. I remember seeing it at a very young age (I would've been 6 in 1971) and being blown away. Even after I saw it, I had no idea there was a TV show as well, so when that showed up in syndication a few years later, it was quite a thrill.

Other movies I remember seeing on ABC around the same time were the Beatles' "Yellow Submarine" (another Wow!) and "Killdozer." (Yikes!)
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
BatmiteReturns

Post by BatmiteReturns »

My sister was pretty well-off so we went to her house in the mid-70s to watch it on cable. It may have been even later because as I seem to recall it being on WTBS. I was born in 1971 so missed the entire first run of the series.
Jim K, Bat fan

Post by Jim K, Bat fan »

So I knew one day those old TV Guides would come in handy, :lol:

I found it in the July 3-9, 1971 TV Guide (with the Mod Squad on the cover.)

It was featured in the "This Week's Movies" section up front, but did not have its own "close up" (where they would feature something special that night.) Odd that it started at 9:00pm on a Sunday night??
I wonder if the kids had the next day off because of the holiday.

Yellow Oval wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:26 pm I believe it followed an episode of The F.B.I. w/ Efrem Zimbalist Jr.
Great memory - according to the guide the episode of the FBI called "Death Watch" did air right before the movie!
Attachments
batman.tvguide.2 (915x1024).jpg
batman.tvguide.1 (707x1024).jpg
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

HOLY WOW!!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Jim K, Bat fan wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:47 pm So I knew one day those old TV Guides would come in handy, :lol:

I found it in the July 3-9, 1971 TV Guide (with the Mod Squad on the cover.)

It was featured in the "This Week's Movies" section up front, but did not have its own "close up" (where they would feature something special that night.) Odd that it started at 9:00pm on a Sunday night??
I wonder if the kids had the next day off because of the holiday.

Yellow Oval wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:26 pm I believe it followed an episode of The F.B.I. w/ Efrem Zimbalist Jr.
Great memory - according to the guide the episode of the FBI called "Death Watch" did air right before the movie!
Don't kids have the whole month of July off?
Jim K, Bat fan

Post by Jim K, Bat fan »

AndyFish wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:31 pm Don't kids have the whole month of July off?
:oops: :lol: - they sure do! Don't know what I was thinking...
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Thanks Jim! You are indeed a treasure trove of information!
Music. BAT! Music.
Jim K, Bat fan

Post by Jim K, Bat fan »

John Mack wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:00 am Thanks Jim! You are indeed a treasure trove of information!
Thank you, but Andy deserves the credit for finding the info! However, I found the TV Guide for September 4-10, 1971 (with Jack Lord on the cover) and the rerun of the movie was actually Sunday, September 5. Once again a Sunday at 9:00pm! And once again it made the "This Week's Movies" section, but no "Close-up." Maybe someone can correct the Wikipedia entry.
Attachments
bat.sept.2 (1024x729).jpg
bat.sept (690x1024).jpg
Batfink

Post by Batfink »

I remember this airing. But wasn't sure if it was the first time on ABC. But I do remember getting excited for it I was I think 6 or 7 that it was about to be broadcast that summer. The promos must have been on in advance on ABC that it was coming. Because I remember getting set to watch it and instead it was Cat Ballou with Jane Fonda. Which must have been the week before it was broadcast! (we got ABC via WKBW in Buffalo in Grimsby, ON, Canada!). Also, I remember the promos for the movie and they used the comic book logo, the one by Carmine Infantino, that were on comics when the show originally were broadcast. That struck in my mind as odd that they didn't use the TV show logo for the promo commercials. Wish I could see those again!
Sweet Little Buttercup!