Will Adam West be in the "Deaths of the Year" section of the Oscars?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

User avatar
Waterratt
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:31 am

Re: Will Adam West be in the "Deaths of the Year" section of the Oscars?

Post by Waterratt » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:16 pm

Adam's work was mostly television with some work in film. He was highlighted in the 2017 Emmy Awards memorial reel back in September. I know they showed Roger Moore, while he did a lot of television, he also did a lot of movies.
https://www.emmys.com/video/69th-emmys-memoriam

User avatar
Yellow Oval
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:57 am

Re: Will Adam West be in the "Deaths of the Year" section of the Oscars?

Post by Yellow Oval » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:12 am

Lounge lizard wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:06 am
I think Adam would've received a huge cheer...
From the Daily Mail: http://dailym.ai/2FeH8a0
Yep, it's definitely now an issue as it seems to be making headlines.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment ... ar-BBJTdez

The Academy Awards of Hollywood... When you want to watch the best there is - either put in a DVD or change the channel to something else! :roll:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"

User avatar
batbelfry
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: Will Adam West be in the "Deaths of the Year" section of the Oscars?

Post by batbelfry » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:11 pm

Yup, turning out to be a "thing" now...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/05/entertai ... am-oscars/

User avatar
BATWINGED HORNET
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:32 am

Re: Will Adam West be in the "Deaths of the Year" section of the Oscars?

Post by BATWINGED HORNET » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:47 pm

Waterratt wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:16 pm
Adam's work was mostly television with some work in film. He was highlighted in the 2017 Emmy Awards memorial reel back in September. I know they showed Roger Moore, while he did a lot of television, he also did a lot of movies.
https://www.emmys.com/video/69th-emmys-memoriam
That's the essential point: most of his career--and certainly the most recognized part was on TV. You mentioned Roger Moore--a great example of someone with distinctive work in film and TV, and I'll add Martin Landau as the kind of actor who could be legitimately recognized at the Emmys and Academy Awards, thanks to a long, memorable career in film and TV. Its a rare achievement, and its not really a shock or anything to be upset about when you use the measuring stick of Moore and/or Landau kind of careers in the business.
Beneath Wayne Manor

User avatar
Progress Pigment
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:12 pm

Re: Will Adam West be in the "Deaths of the Year" section of the Oscars?

Post by Progress Pigment » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:46 pm

And the great thespian Chuck Berry was recognized. So many iconic film roles! I loved him as Julius Caesar! And as General Patton in Tora, Tora. Tora! And his long partnership with Ingmar Bergman. I like his Bergman period the best. A quite rare achievement as a film actor. I understand he sang a little.

Image
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!

User avatar
BATWINGED HORNET
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:32 am

Re: Will Adam West be in the "Deaths of the Year" section of the Oscars?

Post by BATWINGED HORNET » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:50 pm

Chuck Berry was not only one of the founders of rock, but he made a culturally pivotal appearance in Go, Johnny, Go! that was one of the major reasons rock was quickly used as movie subjects, and had an impact on films going forward. No matter how much one loves Adam West as a performer, he did not have any significant film appearances that would justify adding him to that list. TV--from Batman to Family Guy--has always been his biggest career stage.
Beneath Wayne Manor

Nick Charles
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Will Adam West be in the "Deaths of the Year" section of the Oscars?

Post by Nick Charles » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:13 pm

Roger Moore was James Bond - that's a no brainer to include him. Desmond Llewelyn was indeed in American films - very memorable in the Bonds.

Adam West was not known for his theatrical career - his fame came from Television and an appearance in the Emmy "In Memoriam" section would be far more appropriate. Let's face it, other than the theatrical Batman (which was really an offshoot of the TV show) and the "The Outlaws is Coming" (not the Stooges' finest hour) what movies was he known for?

User avatar
Progress Pigment
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:12 pm

Re: Will Adam West be in the "Deaths of the Year" section of the Oscars?

Post by Progress Pigment » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:40 pm

What movies was he known for? :) What movies were Chuck Berry known for?!! 'Hail Hail Rock & Roll' which starred Keith Richards? He should never have been included. Dorthy Malone received an academy award nomination, but was not included in the memorandum. She should have been! Every story I've seen online about people being left out of the memorandum, mentions Adam West first! I find that to be a great tribute. And the man actually had an enviable film career. His most high profile film was probably in The Young Philadelphians in which he, in a flashback, played Paul Newman's father!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2z4npk

I think when he got 'Marriage of a Young Stockbroker' with Richard Benjamin in 1971, for a second there he thought he'd finally beaten typecasting. I for one wish he had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Ty3sMbtWA

The New Age was an interesting movie. Big budget, edgy, mostly unlikable characters. I think he shows a bit more range than Chuck Berry here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hEU3WAs34o

And who could forget?!!!!

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/0cde9f05-8657-4217-bc09-8772875917a3

His shocker in Drop Dead Gorgeous alone would have been enough for almost anyone else! But as you say, he is a TV actor. He can do a dozen good film roles but it doesn't mean anything. I gather everything the academy does now has to be run past Meryl Streep before it get a go ahead. I'm being factious of course, but there is some truth there. Including West -- It's 2 seconds. And it would have meant a lot to this wonderful & talented man's fans & family.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!

User avatar
chrisbcritter
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:59 pm

Re: Will Adam West be in the "Deaths of the Year" section of the Oscars?

Post by chrisbcritter » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:08 am

For me, the "In Memoriam" that counts is the one TCM does every year - comprehensive, classy and not hurried.

User avatar
BATWINGED HORNET
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:32 am

Re: Will Adam West be in the "Deaths of the Year" section of the Oscars?

Post by BATWINGED HORNET » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:31 pm

Nick Charles wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:13 pm
Roger Moore was James Bond - that's a no brainer to include him. Desmond Llewelyn was indeed in American films - very memorable in the Bonds.
True.
Adam West was not known for his theatrical career - his fame came from Television and an appearance in the Emmy "In Memoriam" section would be far more appropriate. Let's face it, other than the theatrical Batman (which was really an offshoot of the TV show) and the "The Outlaws is Coming" (not the Stooges' finest hour) what movies was he known for?
...and in addition to the other films mentioned in this thread, he's still not considered a movie actor. Part of that is based on TV work being his greatest contribution to the medium. Its no disrespect on the part of the Academy at all.
Beneath Wayne Manor

User avatar
Progress Pigment
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:12 pm

Re: Will Adam West be in the "Deaths of the Year" section of the Oscars?

Post by Progress Pigment » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:04 am

BATWINGED HORNET wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:31 pm

...and in addition to the other films mentioned in this thread, he's still not considered a movie actor. Part of that is based on TV work being his greatest contribution to the medium. Its no disrespect on the part of the Academy at all.
You've said " ...still not considered a movie actor" about fifty times now. I'm curious, what is your assessment of Adam West as an actor, really? What do you think of Adam West compared to Van Williams for example? Just curious. Slightly more infuriating than West, Powers Boothe was left out. Who was nothing but a film actor, and a brilliant one. He starred in two of my favorite films. But there was Chuck Berry. :roll:
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!

User avatar
Therin of Andor
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:46 pm

Re: Will Adam West be in the "Deaths of the Year" section of the Oscars?

Post by Therin of Andor » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:21 am

It is rare for the same actor to get acknowledged in both the Oscars' and the Emmys' "In Memorium" sequences. They do try to stretch out the number of slots that way.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)

User avatar
BATWINGED HORNET
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:32 am

Re: Will Adam West be in the "Deaths of the Year" section of the Oscars?

Post by BATWINGED HORNET » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:36 am

Progress Pigment wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:04 am
BATWINGED HORNET wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:31 pm

...and in addition to the other films mentioned in this thread, he's still not considered a movie actor. Part of that is based on TV work being his greatest contribution to the medium. Its no disrespect on the part of the Academy at all.
You've said " ...still not considered a movie actor" about fifty times now. I'm curious, what is your assessment of Adam West as an actor, really? What do you think of Adam West compared to Van Williams for example? Just curious. Slightly more infuriating than West, Powers Boothe was left out. Who was nothing but a film actor, and a brilliant one. He starred in two of my favorite films. But there was Chuck Berry. :roll:
An assessemt of West as an actor is irrelvent to the thread topic, which is West not included as part of the Oscar's "death" tribute. I--and others--have already explained why he's more of a TV actor with no distinctive movie career like a Landau or Moore, for example.
Beneath Wayne Manor

User avatar
Therin of Andor
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:46 pm

Re: Will Adam West be in the "Deaths of the Year" section of the Oscars?

Post by Therin of Andor » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:36 pm

It also has to do with how easily a suitable image and/or footage is available, and if it has clearance from the copyright owner and the actor's estate. Several times, in recent years, I have had frantic emails from the producers of Australian TV's annual Logie Awards. The footage they sought was suddenly unobtainable in time, or of poor quality - could I suggest replacement footage? - and another time I had to send them an urgent high-resolution scan of an actress's "Showcast" photo, which they knew they had a clearance for. (It was a thrill to see it on the screen but, had I not supplied the pic, she would have been dropped from the "In Memorium" line-up due to tight pre-production schedules).
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)

User avatar
Progress Pigment
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:12 pm

Re: Will Adam West be in the "Deaths of the Year" section of the Oscars?

Post by Progress Pigment » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:58 am

Therin of Andor wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:36 pm
It also has to do with how easily a suitable image and/or footage is available, and if it has clearance from the copyright owner and the actor's estate. Several times, in recent years, I have had frantic emails from the producers of Australian TV's annual Logie Awards. The footage they sought was suddenly unobtainable in time, or of poor quality - could I suggest replacement footage? - and another time I had to send them an urgent high-resolution scan of an actress's "Showcast" photo, which they knew they had a clearance for. (It was a thrill to see it on the screen but, had I not supplied the pic, she would have been dropped from the "In Memorium" line-up due to tight pre-production schedules).
Shots from the preview of Batman: The Movie (1966) have been used over & over by everyone! Unquestionably, it's public domain. And THIS is how you do a memoriam. Adam West in the wet cowl from the film? Always works. It's just a heart tugging shot.

https://eatdrinkfilms.com/2017/12/27/tcm-remembers-the-movie-heroes-who-left-us-in-2017/
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests