Fourth Season Myth

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Keith Mayo

Re: Fourth Season Myth

Post by Keith Mayo »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:33 pm
Big Daddy K wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:29 pm Screen Gems also did Batfink.
Batfink was a cartoon (which Screen Gems did not produce) not an expensive live action series. Screen Gems' most successful productions were sitcoms; in addition to the series mentioned in my previous post, this is the same studio that released Dennis the Menace, Father Knows Best, The Donna Reed Show, among other series. That's where the profits were for the studio, not fantasy. Aside from that, why would any studio want to pick up the tab on a series that had long outlived its appeal a year eariler?
To answer your question BH, beats me.
I just thought it was interesting that in the discussion Screen Gems was mentioned.
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
Bob Furmanek

Post by Bob Furmanek »

Wham-O (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wham-O) produced the show in an effort to promote toys.

Screen Gems picked up BATFINK on March 8, 1967:
Batfink 3.8.67.JPG
Batfink 3.8.67.JPG (32.52 KiB) Viewed 6676 times
Batfink 3.16.67.JPG
Batfink 3.16.67.JPG (38.64 KiB) Viewed 6675 times
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

We sure had a lot of "finks" in my childhood. Rat Finks, Bat Finks and Fine Feathered Finks. 😁
BatMite

Post by BatMite »

How exactly did BATFINK "create a market" for WHAM-O's toys? Were the toys featured in the cartoon? Does anyone know?
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

BatMite wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 6:27 pm How exactly did BATFINK "create a market" for WHAM-O's toys? Were the toys featured in the cartoon? Does anyone know?
I found this at http://tralfaz.blogspot.com/2018/01/hot ... tfink.html

"Frank Buxton had one other career. As odd as it seems for someone involved with Peabody-winning children’s programming, he starred in a syndicated TV cartoon show, the stiffly-animated Batfink. The series by Hal Seeger Productions was originally distributed in early 1967 by Mission Productions, the TV arm of WHAM-O, the toy maker, before Screen Gems took over to sell the show in more cities and cash in on its exclusive merchandising rights. A deal had closed to sell Hanna-Barbera to Taft Broadcasting, meaning Screen Gems needed to find new cartoon characters to push. Suffice it to say, I have serious doubts that Batfink won a Peabody. Incidentally, after finishing Batfink in June 1967, Seeger turned its attentions (according to Variety) to producing cartoon series called Wilbur the Wanted and Mr. E. Whether Buxton was involved in these, I don’t know."
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

I'd have never guessed there were 100 Batfink cartoons, but I've seen more than a few of them. There was never any Wham-O product placement that I can recall. Of course, there was never any cereal in Bullwinkle cartoons, either, but General Mills produced them as a vehicle for selling Cheerios.

Batfink was kind of a hybrid spoof of Batman and Green Hornet. Batfink was an actual bat, with bulletproof wings. His sidekick was a big Asian human guy named "Karate," who did well, karate—and also drove the batfinkmobile. (I dunno if that's really what they called the car.)

Part of Batfink's schtick was to wrap himself in his invulnerable wings when bad guys shot at him. His catchphrase (at least the only one I recall) was "Your bullets cannot harm me. My wings are like a shield of steel!"

I wonder if Greenway ever pursued any legal action. I think it would've been hard to prove any kind of infringement; parody is fair game, on the one hand. And there were material differences between Batman and Batfink on the other: Batfink had no secret identity, and he was a superpowered anthropmorphic animal. Aside from the "Bat-" name, I don't think it was any more specifically a swipe of Batman than Super Chicken, Underdog, Atom Ant, Fearless Fly, etc. -- or Bob Kane's own self-ripoff, Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

I would say Batfink would fall under rules governing satire and parody.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Batfink was all in good Cartoon Fun.
Bob Furmanek

Post by Bob Furmanek »

Here's the first episode:

Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found the proof!!!!!! :-)
Attachments
40227205_10215730863855988_4978580180894220288_n.jpg
High C

Post by High C »

Nice photoshop, but The Wrath of Kahn?

'Kirk, this brisket is too fatty. I shall hound you to the ends of the galaxy until you make it a leaner cut!'
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

I notice McCoy is hitting on Batgirl.😁
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

clavierankh wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:48 pm I notice McCoy is hitting on Batgirl.😁
Well, his nickname was Bones after all. :-)
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

High C wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:38 pm Nice photoshop, but The Wrath of Kahn?

'Kirk, this brisket is too fatty. I shall hound you to the ends of the galaxy until you make it a leaner cut!'
Done by the same guy - Paul Brady.
Attachments
40253721_10215731072941215_1025964491835179008_o.jpg
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

"Batman, I'm a doctor..."