General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dan Greenfield

ARCHIE MEETS BATMAN '66 Coming this Summer

Post by Dan Greenfield »

Hey, folks:

Just posted this at 13th Dimension:

https://13thdimension.com/archie-meets- ... is-summer/

And later on, we've got some variant covers to show off exclusively too!

-- Dan
SprangFan

Re: ARCHIE MEETS BATMAN '66 Coming this Summer

Post by SprangFan »

Cool to see the duo crashing in to prevent the heinous crime of a "Sugar, Sugar" encore.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

Maybe this will pave the way for a Gotham/Riverdale tv crossover. :)
To the Bat-Elephant!!
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

TBolt wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:42 pm Maybe this will pave the way for a Gotham/Riverdale tv crossover. :)
HAHA! I'd buy that! Lol!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

It's like Batman '66 has become a Super Chinese Buffet franchise-- the foods not good but there's plenty of it. Not a selling point for me.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

AndyFish wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:35 am It's like Batman '66 has become a Super Chinese Buffet franchise-- the foods not good but there's plenty of it. Not a selling point for me.
Agreed.

It seems there are people still bent on reducing the '66 series to something beyond the worst of its actual episodes--trying to make it some light, kiddie idea, hence this Archie story. The '66 series was never meant to be seen in any form close to Archie the comic, or cartoons.

This--like many of the Batman '66 comics--comes off as wrongheaded in the extreme, and sells the negative stereotype the series has struggled with for decades.
Beneath Wayne Manor
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

Yes, I can't read the '66 comics, as it just seems like the series through the eyes of some writer who hasn't seen it, and just making it a silly story!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

To be on the opposing side, I'll take Batman 66 anyway I can take him.

==jthree
ChAnOoD

Post by ChAnOoD »

I found weird that they keep doing those "oldies" crossovers and let the main title die. Why they did cancel the Bats66? Sales? Well, if they keep doing these miniseries, I think they could do small arcs instead of matching the heroes with different franchises. I admit having the 60´s Batman with the 70´s Wonder Woman is kinda cute, but I´m not a big fan of having them sharing stuff with every character from the era.
High C

Post by High C »

ChAnOoD wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:59 am I found weird that they keep doing those "oldies" crossovers and let the main title die. Why they did cancel the Bats66? Sales? Well, if they keep doing these miniseries, I think they could do small arcs instead of matching the heroes with different franchises. I admit having the 60´s Batman with the 70´s Wonder Woman is kinda cute, but I´m not a big fan of having them sharing stuff with every character from the era.
This is a valid point. The problem with the crossovers is that they have to give so much 'screen time' to the other 'crossover' people, e.g. Wonder Woman, Solo and Ilya from Man From UNCLE, etc., that I think it kind of takes away from the screen time for the villains, who were/are such an integral part of Batman '66.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
cammy85

Post by cammy85 »

^ Just like how the Green Hornet crossover played out in the show. I wonder if they're going for a Brave and the Bold style as Batman was always with another hero in that series.
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

Maybe if Jeff Parker and other writers can come up with some more Batman 66 stories, they can publish them later on. I always to see other writers (who may not have liked the sixties series) do their take on the show. Would love to see Chris Clairemont, John Byrne, and a few others do their take on it. Do I dare to even mention Denny O'Neil's name as a possible contributor?

==jthree
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

cammy85 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:41 am ^ Just like how the Green Hornet crossover played out in the show. I wonder if they're going for a Brave and the Bold style as Batman was always with another hero in that series.

The difference with the GH crossover is that the villian was not supposed to matter; Greenway was selling what fans wanted to see: the two teams meet--and fight. Even the "next week" bumper told the world what it was truly about:
Next week, Batman and Robin clash with The Green Hornet and Kato.
No one cared about Gumm, and Dozier was well aware of that. Gumm could have been a mop in a bucket for all it mattered, but fans were there to see the teams do exactly what the bumper promised.

On the other hand, the comics were adding known villains who should never take a back seat, such as Catwoman and Ra’s al Ghul in the Wonder Woman crossover. If such top shelf villans were shortchanged to any degree, that was the fault of creators cramming too much into one story, instead of it being focused on the heroes, as in the TV GH crossover.
Beneath Wayne Manor
High C

Post by High C »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:43 pm
No one cared about Gumm, and Dozier was well aware of that. Gumm could have been a mop in a bucket for all it mattered, but fans were there to see the teams do exactly what the bumper promised.

On the other hand, the comics were adding known villains who should never take a back seat, such as Catwoman and Ra’s al Ghul in the Wonder Woman crossover. If such top shelf villans were shortchanged to any degree, that was the fault of creators cramming too much into one story, instead of it being focused on the heroes, as in the TV GH crossover.
Fair point about Gumm. Not only was Roger C. Carmel not given special guest villain billing, he was paid $2000, far less than the standard $3500 villain paycheck for seasons 1 and 2.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
TheBlueHombre

Post by TheBlueHombre »

I'm sorry but not only does it look like a farce but Archie and the Gang are even drawn poorly and not like their 1966 selves. I'll pass.
Same Bat-Time
Same Bat-Channel
Same Perilous Predicament