Why Batman got banned in Norway in 1990

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Mr.Freeze

Why Batman got banned in Norway in 1990

Post by Mr.Freeze »

Some kid played Batman and jumped in front of a truck....almost got hurt.

Sadly the negative press (shrinks being up in arms over the fight scenes etc) led to NRK (Norways NBC) not showing s2 & 3 (they also did not show Zelda/CW shows and last half s1)....in fact the series has not been shown there since (and very very seldom do they show the movie)
SprangFan

Re: Why Batman got banned in Norway in 1990

Post by SprangFan »

This is pretty nuts. Batman isn't about jumping in front of trucks, so I don't know what the gripe is.

Superman I could kind of see: generations of dim witted kids jumped off of things thinking a costume (or just a cape) could make them fly, to the point where Superman in the comics and in the person of George Reeves would occasionally take a moment out to remind young fans that the powers were NOT in the costume.

I heard (probably apocryphal) tales of kids burning themselves trying to be like the Human Torch and when Marvel did a comic based on the rock group KISS I remember someone asked Stan Lee if he didn't feel guilty about it given that a kid had once been seriously injured trying to breath fire like Gene Simmons. Stan's answer was, more or less, "What are you gonna do? Some kids are just stupid!" which made my Mom declare, "I don't ever want you buying a Marvel comic!" Not a problem at the time, but I did get into Marvel later (and so far I haven't swallowed any gasoline).

Anyway, if the kid had jumped in front of a car while dressed as Moses (which would have made about as much sense), I wonder if Norway would have banned the Bible?
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

There was a kid in Hong Kong back in '75 that died cuz he had seen a japanese super hero show and imitated him :(

(actually Norway banned the movie Life of Brian when it came out.....that's all I'm gonna say due to the no politics/religion thing)
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

In Australia in the 60s, we had a TV commercial for milk which claimed, "Drink milk... and fly through the day." The actor, wearing a cape and holding a glass of milk, would get lifted up and out of the scene.

The ad came off TV after several kids in Superman capes leaped off their roof or balcony.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)