A Change In Perspective: King Tut episodes

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Bryan Grantham

A Change In Perspective: King Tut episodes

Post by Bryan Grantham »

I think it's funny how years can really change perspective. When I was a teenager watching "Batman" reruns after school, I would cringe whenever a King Tut episode would air, and usually tune out to do other activities, thinking "He's not a villain from the comics". I also felt this way about Bookworm, The Archer, and several others who were original to the show. Now that I have seen the episodes on DVD, I have watched the Tut ones, even season 3, many times and had a blast. Victor Buono was truly gifted and brilliant, and I get just as much of a kick out of seeing him on Wild Wild West as Count Manzeppi. I was happy to see the character in the latest "Batman '66" animated feature, and in the "Batman '66" comic book, I always read his appearances with Victor's "voice".
Ben Bentley

Re: A Change In Perspective: King Tut episodes

Post by Ben Bentley »

Funny how that works out, right? You're not the first person i've heard have that exact same change of heart towards The King Of The Nile.

I certainly didn't dislike any of the Tut episodes I saw as a child, but I remember being bowled away by Buono's skills as an incredibly capable comedic actor when I re-kindled my love of the show in my early teens.
FLOYDLEWIS

Post by FLOYDLEWIS »

best VILLAIN BAT CURSE ever comes from KING TUT...Curse you, Batman. May you fall down a flight of stairs and break every tooth in your head except one and in that may you have a toothache for the rest of your life which won't be very long.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Victor's performances in S3 were one of the few highlights of that miserable death march.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Dr. Shimel wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:07 am Victor's performances in S3 were one of the few highlights of that miserable death march.
Ditto.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

Adam West was obviously still trying to be creative wherever he found the chance. Although he was by this time guest-starring on his own show.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

I think it's very common among 66 fans to dislike Tut as a kid and love him as an adult. I remember at age 9 disliking Tut episodes because they just seemed like retreads of each other. I think the "Egyptian" theme didn't really appeal to me; I didn't care that much about the character one way or the other. But, as our latest TO THE BATPOLES episode shows, my brother and I are much more on the Buono bandwagon now!
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
cammy85

Post by cammy85 »

The issue with me was due to that one episode of the 90s animated series where there's a guy named Maxi Zeus who suddenly thinks he's the God Zeus. Very annoying character and nowhere near the charm of King Tut. So whenever I would see King Tut on the 60s show, I was equally unimpressed. But thanks to many reruns and now the DVDs, he's one of my favorites. Even the Season 3 episodes are great.
dell

Post by dell »

I think Victor Buono "got" the idea of a Bat-villain as well as anyone. He overacted the part perfectly. He delivered his lines with just the right amount of sneer, glee, pomposity and faux evil.
dell
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

As a kid, Egghead was my favourite but, as a young adult, I realised that Victor Buono was a very gifted actor. He has some of the best one-liners and long speeches, delivered superbly. To top off his hilarious performances, he was consorting with Grace Lee Whitney and Lee Meriwether, both of whom I knew via "Star Trek" (I somehow missed Trek in first-run and spent the 80s catching up).
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

cammy85 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:04 am The issue with me was due to that one episode of the 90s animated series where there's a guy named Maxi Zeus who suddenly thinks he's the God Zeus. Very annoying character and nowhere near the charm of King Tut.
There was also the Victor Goodman comics version (named for Buono):

https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-novels ... -tuts-tomb

http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/King_Tut
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
K.G. Bird

Post by K.G. Bird »

I feel the same way. When I was young all I seem to focus on was Riddler, Joker, Catwoman, and Penquin. When I got older and I love the campy humor, other characters became so entertaining. Victor was the best. His humor and acting was wonderful. Definitely some of my favorite episodes. How about Liberace in his two episodes--hilarious. Even then so outrageously flamboyant. It took all your powers to imagine him romancing Aunt Harriet but what a fun character, lame but funny.
"Really Dick! I fear some recent romantic interlude has fevered your imagination. Aunt Harriet is..utterly..beyond..reproach".
cammy85

Post by cammy85 »

The Scoutmaster scene in the Simpsons (despite being about Radioactive Man and Fallout Boy) didn't help either.

Chandell and Harry. They were my favorites at the time!! It was a refreshing change from supervillains despite Chandell being called Fingers. Definitely better than the Minstrel, but even he has grown on me.
greatlakes6

Post by greatlakes6 »

We discussed a little in a much earlier thread and I completely agree. As a kid, I had no interest in the King Tut episodes, although I watched them. As an adult, Victor's sense of humor and awesome sarcasm are the episodes I look forward to most. He was definitely a comedic talent with great timing.