"Batman" Spoof On 1966 Bob Hope Special

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

epaddon

"Batman" Spoof On 1966 Bob Hope Special

Post by epaddon »

On February 19, 1966, Bob Hope did one of his periodic NBC comedy specials (usually several per season). This was just one month after "Batman" debuted and it's a testament to just how much of a quick phenomenon it was that Hope decided to do a sketch spoofing the new show. This required his writers to come up on short notice with a new sketch rather than dust off old material.

Bob Hope Special-February 19, 1966 (With Batman Sketch)

The resulting sketch is at the 11 minute mark. I am struck by how this sketch is the first to give us (1) a "Batgirl" (2) a giant clam and (3) a conceit of a prop that says "TNT" and another one that says "More TNT" that is just like the kind of gag we would see in Season 3 long before these gimmicks were on the series!

Of course most of it is Hope style silliness that was starting to show its age in the late 60s, but that they did this sketch just one month after the show got on the air is a testament to how much the show was the talk of the country and that it could be spoofed at this point because it was such a hit.

Somewhat surprisingly, Jill St. John is in this special but she doesn't appear in the sketch (that would have been more inspired if they had used her!)
High C

Re: "Batman" Spoof On 1966 Bob Hope Special

Post by High C »

Wow, this is fascinating. As you said, it's amazing how quickly others were trying to capitalize on the popularity of the show. It gives insight into what a 'shooting star' the show was in early 1966.

Yeah, I wish JSJ had been in the sketch. It's surprising to me that she wasn't.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Thanks for the link, epaddon. Its always interesting to see early parodies, and just how different they were from the actual series--a distinction that would not have been possible if the Hope special had been produced anywhere after late '66.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

OMG finally! I've only seen short clips or stills from this. I'd given up it would ever be unearthed. Jill St. John was not especially known for the series, or probably even remembered except for by a few. It's have been great for us if she's been included, but back then, the viewing audience wouldn't have cared at all.

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
dell

Post by dell »

I don't know if anyone else found this painful to watch. Yikes! As eppadon stated, Hope's comedy style was showing its age by this time.
dell
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Oy! Yes, a bit, but Glad it surfaced, but honestly, I enjoyed the commercials more. The new Dodge Charger etc! To quote Elmr, Holy Excellent!
Music. BAT! Music.
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

After seeing this sketch I can't shake the idea of Raye's "Batgirl" being Commissioner Gordon's wife who passed on what she learned to her daughter, Barbara. :D

But the sad thing is that some Season 3 episodes would be on about the same level as this sketch in terms of writing quality!
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

I loved it. The first Batgirl! Martha Raye and Yvonne Craig were both small in stature & well-endowed, and that's where the similarity ends. Did anyone notice the boxes "TNT" and "more TNT"? (Eye Roll) And this before Stanley Ralph Ross ever penned an episode! :)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9EDR90Yvd0[/youtube]
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

I believe the original poster did point that out lol. No worries
:x what? Me worry?
Music. BAT! Music.