SDCC

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Anyone else going to SDCC this year?
Attachments
20180512_164155.jpg
Batman65

Re: SDCC

Post by Batman65 »

I live in eastern Wisconsin. I didn’t know we had werewolves here...lol.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

For myself I'm "ComicConned Out". I stopped going last year and am again skipping the Ottawa, Montreal, and Toronto ones. For my money, I agree with many observers that the 'Comic' part of the names should be removed as it's mainly all about various autograph signers and fans or pro costume models walking around. If people still enjoy going then that;s great but for me being a collector looking for either vintage or rare merchandise it's gotten pretty stale when every 2nd table seems to be selling balloon head Funkos and Dorbz or manga stuff I have never heard of. SDCC won't be on the horizon for me either.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Ha! Who's that guy? ;). Yup I'll be there.
And Wisconsin does indeed have a werewolf legend.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Wish I could attend Andy. We've known one another (at least by board names) since the Batboard was a bulletin board, but we've never met in person.
YO I get it, believe me I do.You won't find any parts to the 1966 Ideal utility belt there, or the like, but there's so much more to CC than buying things, such as meeting people such as Andy and while I agree the tables loaded with those silly Funko things over and over again is annoying, I just pass them. They don't really bother me THAT badly.

But you know, when I'm looking for vintage collectibles, I find that the Internet is the place. It used to be that you could pop into American antique stores and find at least something. Not too much now. Store owners all seem to have ebay and Amazon accounts and rather than have that Corgi Batmobile sit in one of their showcases waiting for probably months to be sold, they list on line and it's sold in days. Can't say I blame them. Afterall, you're in business to make money, not start a museum. Again though, point taken old chum. :D
Music. BAT! Music.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I'm only doing three shows this year and although I agree they are 90% Funko Pops and other things that have no interest to me, every show I go to has surprising vintage items, even the small shows, but you have to look around the booths.

Besides the old comics-- and at a tiny little show in New Hampshire last month I found some vintage 1966 Batman items like a mint in box pair of Batman sneakers, an Ideal Batman Helmet and the Ideal Figures. I also found a bunch of Golden Age Batman's including a 7,9,10 and a 14 cheaper than what they go for on eBay.

So there's stuff. I can't speak for San Diego-- and while the show is bringing us out and putting us up for the week our obligation is only to appear on some panels and sign at the Dark Horse and Papercutz booths so we won't be set up at tables, which is incredible because getting the stuff you need to sell at a show PLUS clothes (I do shower and change clothes at these things ;)) is very hard to do.

Sorry we won't get to connect John, despite the non-face to face I consider you a good friend. Someday we'll be in the same room and the Gin and Tonics (or your beverage choice) are on me.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Thanks Andy. G and T's are perfect. Someday soon....
Music. BAT! Music.