Check Out DC’s Strange Announcement of the BATMAN TV Series

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dan Greenfield

Check Out DC’s Strange Announcement of the BATMAN TV Series

Post by Dan Greenfield »

Hey, Batfolks:

I happened upon this historical tidbit, which I've posted over at 13th Dimension:

https://13thdimension.com/check-out-dcs ... 66-series/

Dig it!

-- Dan
High C

Re: Check Out DC’s Strange Announcement of the BATMAN TV Series

Post by High C »

Great find, Dan. Thanks for sharing.

And obviously, as you noted, this is the most concrete proof of what's always been said, that the show originally was planned for Sept. 1966 but was moved up because ABC's other shows were tanking (a common problem for ABC, mired in last place, at that time).
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Thanks for posting this, Dan. Yes, its no wonder Batman was launched early, since ABC was in a deep hole by the time 1966 rolled in, with long-running The Donna Reed Show, The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet and newcomer Shindig! all suffering from low ratings and eventually leaving ABC early that year.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Mr. Glee

Post by Mr. Glee »

DC must have had a long lead time with their publishing schedule - TV columnist Cynthia Lowry had announced the January premiere of BATMAN back on October 20th, in her nationally syndicated column.
651020-cl.jpg
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

In that great conversation with Julie Schwartz I had oh so many years ago I had asked him about the lead time and he told me it was closer to six months which is amazing, because in today's climate we've turned in pages to a major publisher TWO WEEKS before the book is out in print on occasion.

Remember how THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN used to give the old line at the end about buying "Superman Magazine" at the end of the show? I remember asking why we weren't pushing Batman Comics at the end of the 90s Batman Animated Series and was told the rules had changed about commercially promoting a tie in item.

I don't know when those rules changed, but I remember the surprise I had when I read these old Batman comics and the soft sell they were doing for the show even when it had premiered.

The BATMANA fan club was much more aggressive about the coming show and getting news out to fans, they were also the first to turn on the show when it got too campy.
Bob Furmanek

Post by Bob Furmanek »

The first mention of the show in Variety was August 25, 1965 and Adam is listed for the show on September 22, 1965.

Funny, there's no mention whatsoever of doing a feature first as a way to launch the series.

Another Bat-myth busted?
Variety 8.25.65 Bat.JPG
Variety 8.25.65 Bat.JPG (29.81 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
Variety 9.22.65 Adam.JPG
Variety 9.22.65 Adam.JPG (22.22 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

Obviously the writer of the first newspaper article didn't know anything about Batman "A fellow who disguises himself as a bat to solve crimes". Also the letter column piece was a blurb sent in by a letter writer and not something DC put in.

I don't think there was much cross promotion from DC. The only thing I can think of is this cover. Batmen 183 Aug. 1966 It may not even be our Batman series because the title screen is different. Given the lead time in comics this might have been drawn before the series.
Attachments
Batman_Vol_1_183 1966 August.JPG
High C

Post by High C »

Regarding the cover, I think Robin faked the Bat-phone call because he really wanted to watch Lost in Space instead. Holy Benedict Arnold!
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17