BATMANIA

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

Re: BATMANIA

Post by bat-rss » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:54 am

I'm curious about the name "Biljo". Is that "J" pronounced in the English way, the Spanish way, the Nordic way...? We're doing a "TO THE BATPOLES" on "Batmania" soon, and I don't want to pronounce it wrong!

bat-rss

Post by bat-rss » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:57 am

And another question -- am I gleaning correctly from the first issue that Batmania was built off another newsletter, Komix Illustrated? Batmania seems to have had a lot of resources -- many other Batfans quoted, and apparently a decent mailing list -- right from the get-go.

Well, I do see that publicity on Batman comics' letters pages brought his readership up in a hurry, he couldn't have known that was going to happen as he was writing the first issue.

bat-rss

Post by bat-rss » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:50 pm

Well, from continuing to read the newsletters I found the answer to my first question -- his name was William Joseph, so it's the usual English "J" pronunciation!

I'm still not sure where he rounded up his initial round of readership, though.

P “Junior Batman” Y

Post by P “Junior Batman” Y » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:33 am

Andy: Thanks so much for sharing BATMANIA and for your contextual notes. Tim and I are recording not one but two shows about the 'zine this week and next. Outstanding historical resource. Makes me want to start cranking out my own 'zine on a mimeograph machine. To heck with the Internet!

Paul

Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:16 pm

On an unrelated note, your new avatar is bomb, Andy.
- Boy Genius

Lee Kirkham

Post by Lee Kirkham » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:15 pm

Here's some more info on "Biljo" White - Tribute to William "Biljo" White
Yes, that is me...welcome to 1972! >>>

Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:14 am

AndyFish wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:18 am
Batmania had the tacit approval of DC, after White sent a copy of his first issue to renowned fan-friendly editor Julius Schwartz, who liked it
Wow! Amazing stuff.

In 1989, two Aussie Batman fans - to their great surprise - managed to get "kind permission", from DC Comics' Phyllis Hume, to run a Batman club we called "Battalion" (she said that was a clever title that stretched the "no Bat-prefixes" rule) and published a newsletter called "Utility Belt".

All we had to do was send each issue to her in NYC - she gave written feedback on issue #1 - and we lasted eight issues (originally announced as quarterly, but we took four years to put out the eight).

Battalion's Utility Belt #1, 1989 by Ian McLean, on Flickr
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)

Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:16 am

Therin of Andor wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:14 am
In 1989, two Aussie Batman fans - to their great surprise - managed to get "kind permission", from DC Comics' Phyllis Hume, to run a Batman club we called "Battalion" (she said that was a clever title that stretched the "no Bat-prefixes" rule) and published a newsletter called "Utility Belt".
Someone had added me to the "Fanlore" wiki a few years ago and I noticed numerous errors, so was correcting as much as I could this week. While my "Batman" fannish activities were briefly mentioned, I realised a lot more could be said about "Battalion, the Australian Legion of Batman Fans" (1989-1993).

https://fanlore.org/wiki/Battalion

When I get my eight issues of "Utility Belt" newsletter out of storage, I shall annotate them.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)

gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:39 pm

Thanks for the post, Andy. You always share some interesting stuff.