Batman's upcoming marriage?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Yellow Oval

Re: Batman's upcoming marriage?

Post by Yellow Oval »

SprangFan wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:13 am I'm discovering tons of great material I missed back when I could only be bothered to read superheroes: Westerns like Doug Wildey's "Rio" and Joe Kubert's "Tex," even Dynamite's recent "Lone Ranger" title, old Marvel "Conan" books which somehow escaped me completely first time around and of which there is TONS of material, vintage Warren "Creepy," some ( not all) of the most recent James Bond miniseries, etc.

Superhero comics are pretty much dead to me, between being twisted to appeal to the prurient interests of fans "adult" enough to crave raunch and gore but not enough to move on from heroes in capes and tights, and the corporate bosses more interested in monetizing intellectual properties than caring for the core values of once venerated American icons. Happily there's probably still more vintage material for me to read in reprints than I'll live long enough to exhaust, and those non-superhero titles from past and present are satisfying my appetite for creative approaches to the comics format.

Anyway there are enough spoilers out there 24/7 that I can keep up with what the superheroes are doing without spending a penny. For instance now I know this whole marriage thing was a bust, anyway.
This! Total agreement, SprangFan.

I keep track of DC not out of hope for a sensible recovery, but now more for the laughs with all their desperate, goofy ideas. Looking at the 'Batman Marries Catwoman' sucker sales pitch again I'm finding DC seems to be trying hard to compete with MAD Magazine nowadays with the exception that MAD is still an enjoyable read.

DC (National Periodical) Comics - 1930s to 1990s. R.I.P.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"