TO THE BATPOLES podcast #86: "Louie, the Lilac": Please Omit Important Scenes

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES podcast #86: "Louie, the Lilac": Please Omit Important Scenes

Post by bat-rss »

TO THE BATPOLES podcast: We discuss the episode "Louie, the Lilac" and its ancestor script "Please Omit Tomatoes"! Also, we confess our Bat-sins (for we have blasphemed against Batman '66!) and why the show attracts fans of Marvel Comics! http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/086-lou ... ant-scenes
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
clavierankh

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #86: "Louie, the Lilac": Please Omit Important Scenes

Post by clavierankh »

This episode like other third season episodes leaves me asking And then... Louie says he wants to take over the flower generation just like Joker wants to rule surfers. Then what? Because of the shortness of the episode there isn't time for a full master plan. In Joker Goes To School it turns out Joker isn't interested in recruiting high school kids his plan is to fix a basketball game. In Catwoman Goes To College Catwoman gets college students to loiter in Chimes Square as a diversion for her theft of the Batagonian Cats Eye Opals. We have no idea what Louie's plan is for the Flower Children.

This episode illustrates your theory that the teasers are like comic book covers and often have little to do with the actual story. In the teaser the commissioner learns that the well known gangster Louie the Lilac is in town, In the actual episode the commissioner has never heard of Louie.

It would have been interesting if in the second appearance of Louie he was still mildewed an decaying and out for revenge on Batgirl and Batgirl feeling guilty. Kind of an echo of the first Mr. Freeze episode.
Dan E Kool

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #86: "Louie, the Lilac": Please Omit Important Scenes

Post by Dan E Kool »

It takes a brave man to admit when he's wrong. Your heartfelt confession brought a single tear to my eye, Tim. Please Omit The Onions.
- Boy Genius
High C

Post by High C »

Tim and Paul, another fine podcast by you two. Some observations on your observations:

Tim made a great point about the choppiness, which he used in the podcast title. I think the massive rewrite helped cause that, but still, the finished product was sloppy.

I didn't think of it, but you guys were spot-on about how Batman's 'amazing' line when entering the flower shop is out of character. As you guys noted, he wouldn't just make some comment like that, he either would tell Robin something scientific about the flowers themselves or look at them for clues.

Paul's point about Berle's low-key, often menacing performance is well-taken. Interestingly, Norman Spinrad, who wrote an episode of Star Trek among other things, was quoted in one of the Marc Cushman Star Trek books talking about having written an unproduced Trek script that was being eyed as a Berle vehicle, and Berle wanted it to be a serious role. So it seems that for whatever reason, Berle was trying to expand as an actor and do something more serious, as opposed to being Uncle Miltie. With all due respect, I'm not sure he had the acting chops to do so-called serious stuff.

Schuyler 'Skye' Aubrey's father was the late James Aubrey, the president of CBS at the time. He was responsible for Julie Newmar being cast in My Living Doll.

Good stuff about the henchmen. You didn't mention Lisa Seagram, who played the moll. She had a lot of roles in the 1960s, including playing a rival witch on Bewitched.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Yet another great show, guys.

Paul, your "sitcom misogyny" was on target; Gordon is so dismissive of Barbara's concerns, I almost expected him to pat her on the head, saying, "There, there, Barbara. Perhaps you need some warm milk?", with O'Hara adding, "Sure'n she does, Commissioner!". I know the plot needed the GCPD to play their usually clueless part so the superheroes will need to jump on the case, but Gordon's behavior was out of place.

The "I Just Can't Let You Go" song. UGH. Its sounds like it could be a rejected track from a Batgirl soundtrack album that was never released...and we can be thankful that did not happen.

Regarding Marvel fans' view of Batman '66, i've read many a 60s/early 70s letters page in various Marvel comics where "DC" was used to mean "Dumb Crud" comics. Disparaging references to Batman '66 were not uncommon. Marvel egged that on, by satirizing all things "Bat" in the September 1967 issue of its comedy title Not Brand Ecch--

...unlike MAD magazine's "Bats-Man" satire, in the hands of Marvel, the comic served as a "friendly" knife in the back of the competition's biggest characters (at that time), supporting some Marvel fans' belief that Batman and Robin were saggy, goofy jokes.

...well, the satire was sort of funny...
Beneath Wayne Manor
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Dan E Kool wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:44 am It takes a brave man to admit when he's wrong. Your heartfelt confession brought a single tear to my eye, Tim. Please Omit The Onions.
:lol:
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"