The (Crossword) Puzzles Are Coming

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Jim Akin

The (Crossword) Puzzles Are Coming

Post by Jim Akin »

SPOILER ALERT FOR TODAY'S WASHINGTON POST/L.A. TIMES CROSSWORD (7/27/2018)

Our local newspaper, the Hartford Courant, features the crossword puzzle from the Washington Post/L.A. Times Syndicate, and I've gotten into the habit of solving it online rather than on paper. (It's easier to fix mistakes that way.) Today's puzzle features a fun clue/answer combination worthy of the Puzzler himself, related to our own Bright Knight:
Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 7.53.51 AM.png
For bonus fun, the clue for 63 Down (it crosses the "D" in "Adam") is "Director Lupino." Dr. Cassandra herself! :)
John Mack

Re: The (Crossword) Puzzles Are Coming

Post by John Mack »

What is this thing you call a "newspaper?"
Music. BAT! Music.
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

John Mack wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:52 am What is this thing you call a "newspaper?"
It's something made of paper. There have been strange discussions about it lately. I don't understand it all.

---jthree
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

John Mack wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:52 am What is this thing you call a "newspaper?"
It's mostly a fond memory for me. I did a few years in the trenches as a reporter and copyeditor. The Courant is a husk of what it once was, and the days of analog news sure seem to be numbered.

Batman can still fool crooks by planting phony stories on Twitter, but it just isn't the same. :)
High C

Post by High C »

Adam had to be the answer because New Guernsey wouldn't fit. That's also 'West' of Gotham City.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17