What 1970s fan had

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

FLOYDLEWIS

What 1970s fan had

Post by FLOYDLEWIS »

I saw the batman movie in the 1960s theater..If you were a BATMAN fan of the TV series or the movie..this is what we had in the 1970s..I wish it was just a small sample of what we had...but no..this was it..just a memory you try to hold on to...the local stations ran episode film versions that looked rough even then...it would be the 1980s before the batman movie showed up on TBS superstation..but even then..the movie was again film footage..and all chopped up for long commercials
Yellow Oval

Re: What 1970s fan had

Post by Yellow Oval »

I don't know how many hours I spent back then looking at the Batman View-master set which provided crystal clear images that were way better than what was being transmitted on '60s and '70s TV sets at the time. Same went for Star trek and, not to the same degree, Adam-12.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Blue Meanie

Post by Blue Meanie »

Well, you can add the Corgi Batmobile to that list. Produced from 1966-1983.

John Mack

Post by John Mack »

We had tons of AHI Batmobiles and tin/plastic Aoshin/AHI Batmobiles
Music. BAT! Music.
FLOYDLEWIS

Post by FLOYDLEWIS »

I did have my own 1970s pictures I took from my TV..you could not avoid the banning effect with just one shot..I took five really quick..one of those shots would be visible..keeping in mind you could not know that till you printed the entire roll of film
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

For the kids whose mothers didn't cajole them to give them away to charity ("Gee, thanks Mum..."), there was the Topps (USA, 1966) and Scanlen's (Australia, 1967) set of movie "Bat Laffs" gum cards. In USA, there was also the "Riddler Back" cards with transparent decoder panel.

Topps' Riddler Back movie card reverse by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Topps' Riddler Back riddle decoder by Ian McLean, on Flickr

As a kid in Australia, watching Batman twice a week in 1967, my friends and I used to wonder when we were ever gonna see that epic team-up of four arch villains! It was 1973 before I saw a poster advertising the 1966 movie at my local theatre!

View-Master reels by Ian McLean, on Flickr

I found the Batman View-Master reels in 1980 (in the square envelope, with story booklet!), and only recently re-bought my Scanlen's "Bat Laffs" gum cards (on eBay), and a rare Dutch set of Riddler Back cards (with coin-rub answers).

Dutch Riddler Back movie card reverse by Ian McLean, on Flickr
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

FLOYDLEWIS wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:59 pm I did have my own 1970s pictures I took from my TV..you could not avoid the banning effect with just one shot..I took five really quick..one of those shots would be visible..keeping in mind you could not know that till you printed the entire roll of film
That's cool! Since I have always been into the music, I'd recorded every episode after school onto cassette tapes lol, I would later aquire a sound mixer/editor and put the strings of music onto other tapes sound effects and dialogue included. My quest continues for the pure music today.
Music. BAT! Music.
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

As someone mentioned, the Corgi Batmobile. There was another company that made larger, plastic Batmobiles modeled after the one on the TV show, but the name escapes me. I still have mine, but the packaging is long gone, since I got it in the 70s. However, instead of featuring accurate Bat-insignias from the show, it did have stickers replicating Batman's 70s chest emblem.

I thought the Mego figures looked more TV inspired than Comic Book inspired and the Batmobile, again, resembled the TV version. The other Bat vehicles, not so much. Of course, the artwork on the packaging was more in tune with the Neal Adams version in the comics, and I think he supplied some of the art.

Maybe I shouldn't say this as a fan of the TV show and since I discovered Batman thought the TV show, but....

The 1970s were THE greatest decade for Batman comics IMO. I don't think any character has had as much sheer talent working on him as Batman did in the 70s.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Duncan and SIMMS both made big plastic Batmobiles.
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

I believe the Duncan one is the one that I have.

https://www.retroist.com/2015/01/12/the ... batmobile/

Oh, and I forgot about this. The Batmobile here looks like the TV version and not any version in the comics in the 1970s. Wish I still had that toy when I googled and saw what it was selling for. Yikes!

Here's the TV commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3k9yREhMgg
Attachments
image.jpeg
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

I had these.
not this set, to be clear, but one just like it. this set is on display at
The Holy Hollywood Batman 66 exhibit.
Attachments
colorforms.jpeg
colorforms.jpeg (46.85 KiB) Viewed 5832 times
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

gothosmansion wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:48 pm I believe the Duncan one is the one that I have.

https://www.retroist.com/2015/01/12/the ... batmobile/

Oh, and I forgot about this. The Batmobile here looks like the TV version and not any version in the comics in the 1970s. Wish I still had that toy when I googled and saw what it was selling for. Yikes!
I had that in the 70s. There was quite a lot of 1966-themed/inspired merchandising in the 1970's, with only a few items carryovers from the 60s. Just listing the things we had in my family:

Corgi's Batmobile, Batboat and Batcopter (varying sizes)
View-Master reels
Simms / Duncan Batmobile
Mego's Batcave, Batmobile and Batcycle for the 8-inch action figure line
Mego's Batmobile for the Comic Action Heroes line (see above)
Samson Products rubber Batman ring pretty much in the shape of the TV logo

In print, one could find--

DC's tabloid-sized Limited Collector's Edition C-25 (Batman, 1974), which had a one-page photo tribute to the serials and TV show called "Batman of the Movies".

The hardback comic-book history, Comics - Anatomy of a Mass Medium (Little Brown & Co.,1972), had a photo from the movie and reference to the TV series in a chapter.

Fantastic Television (Harmony Books, 1977) had a fairly lengthy chapter on the 1966 series, numerous photos (black and white) and a full episode guide with descriptions no more detailed than the kind found in TV Guide, but it was (arguably) the first mainstream publication to focus on Batman to such a comprehensive level.

Warren Magazine still sold mail-order reprints of On the Scene Presents: Super-Heroes (coverage of the '66 movie) and Monster World (the TV series).

So, where Batman-inspired merchandise is concerned, the 70s had a healthy amount which was great for a cancelled series not having the kind of phenomenal revival of Star Trek.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

gothosmansion wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:50 am As someone mentioned, the Corgi Batmobile. There was another company that made larger, plastic Batmobiles modeled after the one on the TV show, but the name escapes me. I still have mine, but the packaging is long gone, since I got it in the 70s. However, instead of featuring accurate Bat-insignias from the show, it did have stickers replicating Batman's 70s chest emblem.

I thought the Mego figures looked more TV inspired than Comic Book inspired and the Batmobile, again, resembled the TV version. The other Bat vehicles, not so much. Of course, the artwork on the packaging was more in tune with the Neal Adams version in the comics, and I think he supplied some of the art.

Maybe I shouldn't say this as a fan of the TV show and since I discovered Batman thought the TV show, but....

The 1970s were THE greatest decade for Batman comics IMO. I don't think any character has had as much sheer talent working on him as Batman did in the 70s.
Perhaps these?
Attachments
37886278_828565860662654_5210735614353211392_n.jpg
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:26 pm Fantastic Television (Harmony Books, 1977) had a fairly lengthy chapter on the 1966 series, numerous photos (black and white) and a full episode guide with descriptions no more detailed than the kind found in TV Guide, but it was (arguably) the first mainstream publication to focus on Batman to such a comprehensive level.
Agree! I found this second hand in 1980 and read it to death (even the listings for series I had never seen on TV). Until this book, I had never seen a complete list of "Batman" episodes and cast members, and it helped me sort out in my head which episodes I had seen, but barely remembered in detail, such as "The Entrancing Dr Cassandra", which kept eluding me in repeats.

Today, eBay reminded me of another 60s TV tie-in: the Batman cards from Macleans' Toothpaste (the listing attributes them to Weeties & Rice Krinkles, but the hardbacks say Macleans). At first, I wasn't sure they were too close a tie-in - and I know False Face originated in the comics - but I would suggest that this particular sequence (below) draws from the TV series itself. Other cards in the game feature Mad Hatter, Mr Freeze (not Mr Zero), Joker, Catwoman (in her black TV catsuit, but with a long tail and a blue cowl), Penguin and Riddler.

1966 Batman card game from MacLeans Toothpaste by Ian McLean, on Flickr
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

There was a newer 1970's Utility Belt. Image
They made a Captain America and Spiderman version too

Mego stuff - I didn't see it covered per se. Batcycle, Crime lab, Batcave, Batmobile, Batcopter, villains
12" Mego Batman
Wayne foundation: Image
Mini-Mego figures (between 3 and 4 inches tall)
Colorforms Batman

Corgi Batcopter, BatBoat and a non-66 Batcycle
Simms Batmobile
They had a batboat too with Trailer (still have both of these

Aurora 1973 Comic Scenes with Batman and Robin

Plaidstallions.com has a bunch of 1970s Batman toys
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!