"Myths" Surrounding The Show

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BATWINGED HORNET

Re: "Myths" Surrounding The Show

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

While both employed by Greenway, Williams was in superior shape to West, as seen in the photos I posted. There is no denying or spinning that.
Beneath Wayne Manor
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Therin of Andor wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:44 pm
Bob Furmanek wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:40 pm What's the origin of claiming the movie was supposed to precede the TV show?

In looking at the trades and Adam's schedule in 1965, that would not have been possible.
But wasn't the TV series screened earlier than originally planned? Had they been going to do the movie first, the TV series would simply have been made and screened much later than actually happened.

I didn't think there was any doubt that the movie was originally planned to be done first, and used in overseas markets to draw attention to the TV show.
I don't remember anymore where I saw it (will have to re-consult my sources), but I believe you're right. My understanding has been that the original plan was movie in summer of '66, series premiere in fall of '66, but ABC's 1965-66 season was tanking, and Batman was moved up to be a midseason replacement.

Surely, a film preceding the series would have been a somewhat different film. A bit hard to imagine, as the movie we have is considerably sillier than the first month or two of the series.
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

I wouldn't describe Adam as having a "swimmer's body." Long legs and broad shoulders, sure. He wasn't particularly out of shape and he wasn't fat like the common jokes make him out to be, but he also wasn't "in extremely good physical shape" or "powerfully built" by any means.

If anything , I think his physique punctuated a lot of the jokes in the show - some of the feats of strength Batman performs are made hilarious by his scrawny arms and Adam's overly dramatic facial expressions. And I wouldn't change a thing.
Commodore Schmidlapp wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:35 pm Bruce Wayne was a millionaire philanthropist in his mid thirties. Even today when one can roid their way to an exaggerated body, it would look odd for someone in Wayne's position.
I do disagree that a muscular Batman would have been out of place, though. Batwinged Hornet's example of Bruce Lee shows how a man can be well-muscled while incognito, if you will. Or a later example of Christopher Reeve's Superman/Clark Kent comes to mind.
- Boy Genius
Commodore Schmidlapp

Post by Commodore Schmidlapp »

Dan E Kool wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:45 am I wouldn't describe Adam as having a "swimmer's body." Long legs and broad shoulders, sure. He wasn't particularly out of shape and he wasn't fat like the common jokes make him out to be, but he also wasn't "in extremely good physical shape" or "powerfully built" by any means.

If anything , I think his physique punctuated a lot of the jokes in the show - some of the feats of strength Batman performs are made hilarious by his scrawny arms and Adam's overly dramatic facial expressions. And I wouldn't change a thing.
Commodore Schmidlapp wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:35 pm Bruce Wayne was a millionaire philanthropist in his mid thirties. Even today when one can roid their way to an exaggerated body, it would look odd for someone in Wayne's position.
I do disagree that a muscular Batman would have been out of place, though. Batwinged Hornet's example of Bruce Lee shows how a man can be well-muscled while incognito, if you will. Or a later example of Christopher Reeve's Superman/Clark Kent comes to mind.
I would still find an overly muscular Batman/Bruce Wayne odd, mainly because unlike Clark Kent, who was a newspaper reporter, Bruce Wayne was supposed to be a man of unusually high intelligence. He quoted Shakespeare with Puzzler line for line; Minstrel deemed him one of the most brilliant minds alive when it came to electronics.

Now I know it may be perceived as stereotyping bodybuilders to think a Schwarzenegger clone couldn't also be highly intelligent. But it's really more the sound mind/sound body mantra. Most bodybuilders spend all their time in the gym, at the detriment of developing other parts of themselves. So an overly muscular man who is also tremendously smart is unusual.

It takes a good amount of suspended disbelief to accept that no one can figure out who Batman is, even in the highly campy Third Season. But making Bruce Wayne an oddball in that he'd be extremely muscular, intelligent, yet no one could figure out he was also Batman, would be a stretch.

Now a fit guy with low body fat, with some strength and muscle - which was essentially Adam West when the show was filmed - to me is much more believable and much better for the character.

Cool differing opinions on this, and that's mine. ;)
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

Scrawny arms? :)

Dan E Kool, admit it, you'd sell your soul to the devil to be in the shape he was in 1966! I sure would. Here, get schooled a little.

http://gothamalleys.blogspot.com/2011/1 ... rance.html

West had long capable arms. He was built utilitarian. Like a man of action, not an extra in a Beach Blanket Bingo movie. He was quite fit, in the same aspect as Sean Connery. He was obviously very strong -- he lifted fat 250 plus pounds Otto Premenger in his arms for crying out loud! -- and was an outdoorsman. William Dozier described him at first meeting as carrying himself well and classically handsome -- or words to that effect. In his book, West said one pre-Batman blurb said his looks "suggest strength & good breeding." lol. And he was a soldier with com(bat!) training. He didn't have as bulgy muscles as some of the contract players doing horrible male cheesecake photos, but had lived a life and appeared manlier & tougher than 90% of those guys. He was a perfect Batman for his time.

The suit -- I love it, but it was often not flattering. The very muscular guy from Return to the Batcave makes my point better than I can.

Compare to West ....

Omg, you're right! His physique punctuated a lot of the jokes in the show! He's a pig! How could I be so blind.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Yeah, I'd say at the time Adam was in great shape. Heck, he still looked better than most 40 year olds when he was 80. The first photo may be photoshopped. I'm sure there's an expert here who can verify whether on not it's been manipulated.
Attachments
AW04.JPG
Lad01d.jpg
Lad01d.jpg (63.73 KiB) Viewed 7686 times
adam-west-yng1.jpg
adam-west-yng1.jpg (22.99 KiB) Viewed 7686 times
28471195_10214461796313754_2060350283922462806_n.jpg
28378467_10214461794433707_7112708792920433995_n.jpg
28378467_10214461794433707_7112708792920433995_n.jpg (20.52 KiB) Viewed 7686 times
32fc4a73bca0f10496cd3101babd0ba8.jpg
32fc4a73bca0f10496cd3101babd0ba8.jpg (34.7 KiB) Viewed 7686 times
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
BATWINGED HORNET

Dan E Kool wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:45 am I wouldn't describe Adam as having a "swimmer's body." Long legs and broad shoulders, sure. He wasn't particularly out of shape and he wasn't fat like the common jokes make him out to be, but he also wasn't "in extremely good physical shape" or "powerfully built" by any means.
No, he was not--by any stretch of the imagination, He was in average shape, but not well muscled like other actors of the same era, as in the photos I posted days ago.
If anything , I think his physique punctuated a lot of the jokes in the show
Well, the "fat" jokes did not come out thin air, and date back to the ABC run, so some of the audience must have found West's body a little soft.
some of the feats of strength Batman performs are made hilarious by his scrawny arms and Adam's overly dramatic facial expressions.
Yeah, his arms did not receive much attention, which is apparent in or out of costume.
Yeah, being a millionaire philanthropist does not prevent a person from being dedicated to fitness or bodybuilding. As in the comics, if Wayne had the time to develop his fighting skills, fitness for what was to be a constant battle and create a wealth of Bat-weapons/devices, then he had time to train his body. We see this necessary training as part of Bale and Affleck's versions of Wayne--

--and again, this is not anything new, as Christopher Reeve made a dramatic change with the training he received from David Prowse for Superman (1978), while we know other actors put the time in during the 60s.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

Commodore Schmidlapp wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:02 pmBut it's really more the sound mind/sound body mantra. Most bodybuilders spend all their time in the gym, at the detriment of developing other parts of themselves. So an overly muscular man who is also tremendously smart is unusual.
I'm surprised that stereotypes like this are still common. A bodybuilder can quote Shakespeare just as well as anyone else. Maybe spend some time in your local gym. I think you'll find that many of the most muscular guys and gals are often doctors and lawyers who aren't lacking in the brains department whatsoever.

Progress Pigment wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:48 am Dan E Kool, admit it, you'd sell your soul to the devil to be in the shape he was in 1966!
The devil would be getting a hell of a deal. :D
Progress Pigment wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:48 amHere, get schooled a little.

http://gothamalleys.blogspot.com/2011/1 ... rance.html
I read the article, but there seems to be a disconnect between the author's words and images. They write that Batman was not a weightlifter, but feature images of him lifting weights. Likewise they describe him as average and not muscular, but show images of a very muscular Batman. :?:
Progress Pigment wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:48 amOmg, you're right! His physique punctuated a lot of the jokes in the show! He's a pig! How could I be so blind.
I think my comment might have been misunderstood. It's not my opinion that Adam West was a pig. I agree with Keith Mayo - the "Batman paunch" is a myth. But I also agree with Batwinged Hornet - Adam West was not particularly muscular or athletic looking. He was an average looking guy. Perhaps we just have different standards of what "athletic" looks like.

While we disagree about whether Adam West was Apollo incarnate or if Batman (as a character) should be portrayed as a muscular man, we do agree that Adam West was perfect for the show. He's very much the reason why I watch and I don't want to give the impression that I think badly of his portrayal.

My comment about his physique and some of the jokes in the show has more to do with what Commodore Schmidlapp referenced to, a suspension of disbelief. I'm thinking of moments like when Batman thrusts a loaded barbell at the Joker in "He Meets His Match" or how Blaze cries out that Batman has such a strong grip in "True Or False Face." The difference between the strength that Batman possesses and Adam West's otherwise normal physique is funny, and I believe it's very intentional.
BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:51 amYeah, being a millionaire philanthropist does not prevent a person from being dedicated to fitness or bodybuilding. As in the comics, if Wayne had the time to develop his fighting skills, fitness for what was to be a constant battle and create a wealth of Bat-weapons/devices, then he had time to train his body.
I agree. Batman (as a character) is a fit, muscular guy. Though in fairness to the show, they do often mention that Bruce Wayne spends his free time fishing... Not the best cover for a guy who's in great shape :D
- Boy Genius
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

I just wanted to give my two cents, I think that Adam was in fine shape, not great, but still better than me! I think it was just the costume that made him look chubby, the way the belt was positioned, so high up! Personally I think we should just put this little fight to bed and move on to more myths about the show we love, but I guess I'm not the one who decides that...
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

THE BATPHONE! wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:18 pm I think we should just put this little fight to bed and move on to more myths about the show we love, but I guess I'm not the one who decides that...
Waddya got in mind?
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
Progress Pigment

Progress Pigment wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:11 pm
Keith Mayo wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:24 am Yeah, I'd say at the time Adam was in great shape. Heck, he still looked better than most 40 year olds when he was 80. The first photo may be photoshopped. I'm sure there's an expert here who can verify whether on not it's been manipulated.
It wasn't. It's a publicity shot from "The Happy Hooker Goes Hollywood"! The same basic shot is in the film. I saw it in my long separated father's Laserdisc collection when I visited him in California in the 90's. I watched it continuously over & over thru the night! There he was! My guy doing a semi raunchy film.

West was just past fifty. He'd done Legends of the Super-Heroes just prior, where he looked as fit as most of the late-20's aged guys.

This is a stupid argument. But hey, I had it with fanboy fat guys in ponytails & army jackets in comic shops way back in 1989 when pipe-cleaner armed Michael Keaton WAS their Batman, and am just as happy to have it now with remnants of those same guys who have apparently reached portly, giggly middle-age. Do you boys own mirrors?
Progress Pigment

Dan E Kool wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:14 am
Commodore Schmidlapp wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:02 pmBut it's really more the sound mind/sound body mantra. Most bodybuilders spend all their time in the gym, at the detriment of developing other parts of themselves. So an overly muscular man who is also tremendously smart is unusual.
I'm surprised that stereotypes like this are still common. A bodybuilder can quote Shakespeare just as well as anyone else. Maybe spend some time in your local gym. I think you'll find that many of the most muscular guys and gals are often doctors and lawyers who aren't lacking in the brains department whatsoever.
No! They can't quote Shakespeare as well as anyone! How much can Anthony Hopkins squat? Most muscular guys and gals are most often waiters or trainers. Gear-heads are largely idiots. It's fine, you choose your own path. They generally will ask you one searching question. Do you "lift"?
BATWINGED HORNET

Progress Pigment wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:27 pm West was just past fifty. He'd done Legends of the Super-Heroes just prior, where he looked as fit as most of the late-20's aged guys.
:lol:

Nope!
Beneath Wayne Manor
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

Keith Mayo wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:39 pm
THE BATPHONE! wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:18 pm I think we should just put this little fight to bed and move on to more myths about the show we love, but I guess I'm not the one who decides that...
Waddya got in mind?
Well first, I really apologize if my post seemed rude or offensive, (I was a little cranky at the time :| ) but I guess to awnser your question I feel that the myth that Burt ward has spread around about the stunts he had to do, and I know the tiger one has been discussed recently but I remeber the scene from "return to the batcave" it depicts Burt being where severely burned by the sparks from the anti theft system, is this true...I didn't think so, but maybe I'm wrong?
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
Progress Pigment

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:20 pm
Progress Pigment wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:27 pm West was just past fifty. He'd done Legends of the Super-Heroes just prior, where he looked as fit as most of the late-20's aged guys.

Nope!
Yep!

The show was terrible. But I thought Adam looked great. Could Van "addicted to mashed potatoes" Williams, 5 yrs younger than West in 1979 pull it off any better? Did Van open a pie shop in his home after The Green Hornet was cancelled after the most dismal ratings ABC TV had ever seen? Did he get into speed eating competitions in the 70's/80's? Did he ingest more hotdogs than Takeru Kobayashi? His belly and his CHIN says yes.