"Myths" Surrounding The Show

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BATWINGED HORNET

Re: "Myths" Surrounding The Show

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Dan E Kool wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:59 am He wasn't better built than his comic book counterpart of the time, as seen in the 1960s comic book covers above.
Yeah, the comic book Batman actually had a build comparable to other superheroes of the time. The comic version did not have thin arms or a paunch. the wold would not see anyone truly muscular in the role until Christian Bale and Ben Affleck decades later.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:55 pm
Dan E Kool wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:59 am He wasn't better built than his comic book counterpart of the time, as seen in the 1960s comic book covers above.
Yeah, the comic book Batman actually had a build comparable to other superheroes of the time. The comic version did not have thin arms or a paunch. the wold would not see anyone truly muscular in the role until Christian Bale and Ben Affleck decades later.
Bale? Yeah, I thought he was great. Probably my second favorite Batman. Ben Affleck? Yeah, Affleck is an Adonis. ;) This pic is at the time of Batman vs Superman. Truly muscular? Yeah, isn't he ripped?

The New Yorker was called out for "fat shaming" him.

https://www.thewrap.com/did-the-new-yor ... fleck-fat/

Not nice I suppose. I'm not an Affleck fan, but I generally don't like seeing Bat-men held up to ridicule. Not even the lesser ones. Irregardless of my view on BF as a person or his talents, like Lewis Wilson, Val Kilmer, or voice actor Olan Soule, he's one of the guys now. He's on the team. But I hear his tenure is ending, and I think most Batman fans are grateful.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
BATWINGED HORNET

The New Yorker has no bearing on Affleck's form--undeniably muscular--as Bruce Wayne/Batman in Dawn of Justice as seen in the column on the right--

So, Affleck and Bale had--by far--the best shape for the character. No other actors were a live action version of the comic book Batman's appearance, and in many ways, the opposite of the comic book look.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Progress Pigment

Mary Ann Mobley as Batgirl .... :) Myth or not? She certainly photographed well, and was womanly. More of a Bat-Woman than a Batgirl I guess. She might've changed the dynamic of the series. Who knows? As Batman said, who EVER knows?

Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Progress Pigment wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:41 pm Mary Ann Mobley as Batgirl .... :) Myth or not? She certainly photographed well, and was womanly. More of a Bat-Woman than a Batgirl I guess. She might've changed the dynamic of the series. Who knows? As Batman said, who EVER knows?

If it's a myth then just add it to the pile of those that have been repeated in books and magazines over and over and over...................
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
Progress Pigment

[quote="BATWINGED HORNET" post_id=63797 time=1536463646 user_id=261]
The New Yorker has no bearing on Affleck's form--undeniably muscular--as Bruce Wayne/Batman in Dawn of Justice as seen in the column on the right--

Actually, quite deniably muscular!!

Respectfully, are those real? Look at it. So much can be faked these days. The bottom right pic looks extremely fake. And could he have let himself go this much weeks later, in January of 2018? That said, if I was fatboy, I sure would have not let Jennifer Garner go. :) But that's just me.

https://www.lipstickalley.com/threads/b ... k.1409204/

"Batman was looking a little worse for wear as he strode through the terminal on Wednesday, but to be fair we would probably look the same if all we wanted to do was get to the First Class lounge but you had to first make your way through a crowd of fans asking you to write on portraits from your Good Will Hunting days. But we digress."

I'VE GOT THAT JACKET!!! AT LEAST A CHEAPER VERSION. I WONDER IF IT MAKES ME LOOK FAT TOO?
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

Progress Pigment wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:30 pmRespectfully, are those real? Look at it.
Now that you mention it, the shot of Affleck training does look off. I haven't seen the movie, but just going on that image, it looks a little weird. A Google search brings me here:
https://comicbook.com/2016/03/28/meet-t ... tman-body/

The article title led me to believe that Affleck had a body double, possibly added into the final film later. But as you can read for yourself, it's actually about who Batman's sculpted suit was modeled after. Other than that, I didn't find anything. I agree it looks fake, but no one online seems to be talking about it.

Conspiracy?! ;)

Bale looked great, though.
- Boy Genius
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Dan E Kool wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:06 pm
Progress Pigment wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:30 pmRespectfully, are those real? Look at it.
Now that you mention it, the shot of Affleck training does look off. I haven't seen the movie, but just going on that image, it looks a little weird. A Google search brings me here:
https://comicbook.com/2016/03/28/meet-t ... tman-body/

The article title led me to believe that Affleck had a body double, possibly added into the final film later. But as you can read for yourself, it's actually about who Batman's sculpted suit was modeled after. Other than that, I didn't find anything. I agree it looks fake, but no one online seems to be talking about it.

Conspiracy?! ;)

Bale looked great, though.
Folks, this thread is heading way off the course... Engage emergency Bat-Turn.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Here ya go!
Attachments
OT Alert.jpg
BatMite

Post by BatMite »

Keith Mayo wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:06 pm
Progress Pigment wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:41 pm Mary Ann Mobley as Batgirl .... :) Myth or not? She certainly photographed well, and was womanly. More of a Bat-Woman than a Batgirl I guess. She might've changed the dynamic of the series. Who knows? As Batman said, who EVER knows?

If it's a myth then just add it to the pile of those that have been repeated in books and magazines over and over and over...................
I’m not familiar with the Mobley story. If it’s a myth, why is there a photo of her in the Batgirl costume?
BATWINGED HORNET

Dan E Kool wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:06 pm The article title led me to believe that Affleck had a body double, possibly added into the final film later. But as you can read for yourself, it's actually about who Batman's sculpted suit was modeled after. Other than that, I didn't find anything. I agree it looks fake, but no one online seems to be talking about it.
No, Affleck did not have a body double. In Dawn of Justice and Justice League it is clear he has the build as seen in the pictures posted here.

EDIT: Ben, I just spotted your post after I submitted this, so its back on topic.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

BatMite wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:31 pm
Keith Mayo wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:06 pm

I’m not familiar with the Mobley story. If it’s a myth, why is there a photo of her in the Batgirl costume?
Don't think that's Mobley but most likely Yvonne's seldom used stunt double Audrey Saunders. Anyone know for sure?

As to the question of her being considered for the role, this statement has been reported ad nauseum over the years:

"Actress Mary Ann Mobley, Miss America 1959, was the original choice to play Batgirl. However, she was cast for the ABC series Custer, and Ms. Craig was chosen.". http://catwomanfan.com/en/other_ladies/ ... /index.php

"According to comments in DC Comics (and other places), it was former beauty queen Mary Ann Mobley who was all set for the part. Veteran of glossy B-flicks like MGM’s Get Yourself a College Girl and eventual wife to Gary (SIXTH SENSE) Collins, Ms. Mobley would have surely dazzled us with her own brand of sexy, good girl vivaciousness. Instead, longtime Fox contract player Yvonne Craig was tapped… and filmdom’s first comics-inspired superheroine burst into our appreciative lives (we’re not counting Irish McCalla’s mostly forgotten turn as jungle queen Sheena; meanwhile, Jane Fonda was about to raise the super-babe bar considerably in 1968’s BARBARELLA. So the times, like our hormones, were a’changin’… )".
http://tothebatpoles.blogspot.com/2011/ ... atman.html
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Just in case there's any confusion, this is a pic of Yvonne.
Here's another from the session. Yvonne once asked me if I should Photoshop out the pack of cigarettes from her hand.
YC S09E005.jpg
YC-S09E004.jpg
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I always loved that the wardrobe assistant to Yvonne's right in these images looks like she dressed to audition for Lola ;)