TO THE BATPOLES podcast #92: BATMANIA pt 2: Is nothing impossible?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES podcast #92: BATMANIA pt 2: Is nothing impossible?

Post by bat-rss »

The BATMANIA fanzine of the 1960s and '70s turns out to be an endless source of bat-history; it would take a whole separate podcast series to really do it justice. In this episode, we hit the highlights of the newsletter's description of, commentary on, and unique background information on the 1940s Batman serials, and our beloved 1966 TV series!

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/092-bat ... impossible
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Dan E Kool

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #92: BATMANIA pt 2: Is nothing impossible?

Post by Dan E Kool »

I really dig these Batmania episodes. Maybe once you've finished Season 3 you can return to this topic. ;)
- Boy Genius
HELLOLARRY

Post by HELLOLARRY »

Loved the episode.

There actually was sound Super 8mm film back in the day. Called 'magnetic sound' there was a soundtrack on the actual film. I personally didn't have a sound projector but as a treat, my Dad would rent the one the library had so I could watch the sound films they had for rent.

That same library had the Batman serials too. That was my first exposure to them. I don't know if sound editions were ever released however the editions my library had were of the 1943 serial and they were silent with superimposed titles. The entire 15 chapter serial was condensed down to 6 chapters on 6 separate 10 minute reels.

Good memories. Thanks guys!
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

One thing that Tim and Paul should seek out is the Adventures of Jerry Lewis comic #97. It is contemporary to the TV show (November 1966) and might be the best pop-culture examination of the real-life Batmania that hit the US in 1966-in my opinion, way better than the Mad magazine parody (although the cover using TV Batman instead of comic Batman with Alfred E Neuman as Robin is a classic-and Mr. Paul will appreciate that it is designated the special summer "camp" issue).
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
HELLOLARRY

Post by HELLOLARRY »

I have that comic book hanging in my living room. It is pretty cool. On the other side of my TV is a Batman comic with the Beatles on the cover. I love when those universes cross over.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Great episode, guys.

Tim, I think the appeal of the '43 serial to 60s generations and beyond had much to do with a fascination with superhero productions most were not around to watch in theatres, and back in the 60s, how often were superhero serials broadcast on TV to reach the average millions? Baby Boomers were old enough to remember The Adventures of Superman, but were likely in diapers (or not yet born) when the superhero serial was in its heyday. For that reason, the '43 serial was the comic come alive (for some), no matter how much it strayed from the source. Warren Publishing must have been aware of this interest to some degree when they took advantage of it all in their one-shot magazine One the Scene Presents Super-Heroes from 1966--

Obviously, the magazine's lead story was the '66 Batman movie, but the rest of the issue was filled with serial superheroes. I would like to think they were added not just to meet a page count, but cater to a then-new appreciation for the golden age of superheroes on film.

Paul, The Incredible Hulk was the most successful of the superhero shows that premiered in the 70's, from its two 1977 pilot movies, to the regular series running from '78 to '82, outlasting Wonder Woman, The Amazing Spider-Man, or Shazam.

Regarding the serial's availability on Super-8, my family had one of the Castle Films 8mm reels of the Batman serial--with the title "Batman's Last Chance"--

--and as you point out, it was silent with subtitles, but it was as close to DC's "Earth-2" as we were going to get, and it was fun.

Fascinating that the West and Gorshin Shea Stadium stage show was a flop--while (I'm guessing) at the height of the show's popularity. To top it off, Gorshin made a pun-stuffed reference to West's flab...

I wonder if the failure of the stage show sort of predicted Dozier's thoughts on the movie--in other words, why pay for something you could get for free at home?

Regarding the letter wondering why Ward did not use his martial arts skills often on the show...blame Dozier. I thought Dozier and/or the stunt crew should have allowed Ward and Bruce Lee to work out some martial arts fight moves for their fight, but that's one of the many missed opportunities of the show. But hey, at least we would go on to experience the thrills of washed-up comedians taking control of flower children, horse racing and surfing! ...ughhh!
Beneath Wayne Manor
High C

Post by High C »

Yet another well-constructed podcast. Paul did a nice job of drilling his points home to the listener. Seriously, nice job on the mixing, Tim, I'm sure you minimized the noise damage as much as you could.

Some thoughts:

--Trivia: Biljo actually did a SurfSide 6 fanzine before Batmania. What were the odds? (kidding)

--Some of the letters from people were very prescient, but like Paul, I remain skeptical that Biljo plucked Cesar's name out of thin air. Some inside info, perhaps.

--In a strange way, I can understand how the Batmanians felt. I don't necessarily like the way The Siren has been used in the '66 Batman comics, but she's in the current Batman/Archie crossover, and of course I've bought the first two digital issues of it. It's fun to see her utilized even if I don't exactly like the execution, although the art on her costume in the next digital issue is nice.

--Speaking of Archie, I don't how much Batman influenced it, given that the first issue came out before the show premiered, but I think the whole Pureheart the Powerful, Archie as a superhero thing, owed some debt to it as it went along. They actually had their own terrific trio first, as Archie, Betty and Jughead all had superpowers and were battling an evil Reggie. But some of the villains seemed like season 3 Bat-villains, such as The Looker, a buxom blonde who could immobilize men (and only men) with her gaze. This was pre-Siren, and if a man looked into her eyes long enough, he would be turned into liquid chicken fat. Was Stanley Ralph Ross moonlighting?
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
P “Junior Batman” Y

Post by P “Junior Batman” Y »

Hello HelloLarry--

You're absolutely correct. I discovered my error a couple of days after Tim and I recorded that episode and made a correction in the next episode. Apparently optical soundtracks weren't used for 8mm, but magnetic soundtracks certainly were. I regret the error, and thanks for checking in! I would've killed for an 8mm projector--silent OR sound--during our childhood!

Paul
HELLOLARRY wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:24 pm Loved the episode.

There actually was sound Super 8mm film back in the day. Called 'magnetic sound' there was a soundtrack on the actual film. I personally didn't have a sound projector but as a treat, my Dad would rent the one the library had so I could watch the sound films they had for rent.

That same library had the Batman serials too. That was my first exposure to them. I don't know if sound editions were ever released however the editions my library had were of the 1943 serial and they were silent with superimposed titles. The entire 15 chapter serial was condensed down to 6 chapters on 6 separate 10 minute reels.

Good memories. Thanks guys!
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

High C wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:53 am Yet another well-constructed podcast. Paul did a nice job of drilling his points home to the listener.
Bing! Pow! Boom! Ping! :D
- Boy Genius