"New Look" vs Tv Show

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Keith Mayo

Re: "New Look" vs Tv Show

Post by Keith Mayo »

Scott Sebring wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:45 am The Infantino image Kieth used (LOVE IT) as an example of that design is a little bit of an oddity in that the bat on the chest emblem has more points on the bottom (7) as opposed to the traditional 5 points used by him and virtually everybody else who drew the new look. I always loved that illustration but the bat always read "wrong" to me. It's the only time I recall seeing him use that many points.......

The bat emblem even fluctuated in shape and placement with the new look. Starting with straight edges on the bat wings and a more circular shape rather than oval shape to eventually the curved edges of the wings and the classic oval shape.
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

For Batman Day, I watched (appropriately enough) the episode, "Batman's Anniversary," and was reminded once again of how purple the cowl and gloves could look under certain lighting. I remember as a kid watching the (Black Widow?) episode where the GCPD puts out an APB on Batman and describes him as wearing "purple cape and tights". I remember thinking, "Come again? Purple???" Of course I had a black and white set at the time, but it suggests the writers didn't spend much time reading comics.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

SprangFan wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:49 am I remember as a kid watching the (Black Widow?) episode where the GCPD puts out an APB on Batman and describes him as wearing "purple cape and tights". I remember thinking, "Come again? Purple???"
I had a similar reaction after looking up "mauve" in the dictionary, in an effort to understand the title of Joker's prize-winning non-painting, "Death of a Mauve Bat," in Pop Goes the Joker.
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

SprangFan wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:49 am I remember thinking, "Come again? Purple???" Of course I had a black and white set at the time, but it suggests the writers didn't spend much time reading comics.
Comics started before anyone conceived that one day TV shows based upon them could be rendered in full colour... ;)
Jim Akin wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:50 am I had a similar reaction after looking up "mauve" in the dictionary
My grandmother loved mauve. So it was a colour known to me.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Comics started before anyone conceived that one day TV shows based upon them could be rendered in full colour... ;)
I'm not sure I follow. Do you mean if the comics had thought of it, they'd have actually made the tights purple, too?

The Phantom pre-dates Batman by several years, and his outfit was purple, so that color was certainly on the table.
"Or worse. Let's go..."
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Ha! My last comment sparked a dim memory of an article I once read about the Phantom. I looked it up and behold, it's still on the Web.

Interestingly, it suggests the Phantom, like Batman, was supposed to wear gray, but turned purple to take advantage of his translation to a more colorful medium:

http://www.deepwoods.org/purple.html
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Great stuff Scott!
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

SprangFan wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:49 am For Batman Day, I watched (appropriately enough) the episode, "Batman's Anniversary," and was reminded once again of how purple the cowl and gloves could look under certain lighting. I remember as a kid watching the (Black Widow?) episode where the GCPD puts out an APB on Batman and describes him as wearing "purple cape and tights". I remember thinking, "Come again? Purple???" Of course I had a black and white set at the time, but it suggests the writers didn't spend much time reading comics.
Loved the specially made onomatopoeia and the new underwater fight music.
Music. BAT! Music.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

As a kid in the 70s i made tape recordings of Batman when it aired and I kept coming back to this one. That music track ranks as one of my favorites in the series. And yes, the sound effects graphics were fun, too, including how they floated up and out of frame. At this stage of the game, any extra effort out in to make an episode stand out from the routine was much appreciated.

Plus...true confession time...as a kid I liked Astin's Riddler better.
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

Phantoms costume was purple by accident (it was supposed to be gray)

(sad about costumes fading , for example Skeletors black hood from the movie has turned purple over time)