Aunt Harriet in the 1966 movie.

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Therin of Andor

Aunt Harriet in the 1966 movie.

Post by Therin of Andor »

Hi all,

Do we know if Madge Blake was originally supposed to have more to do in the 1966 movie? I saw a salary breakdown and she received a princely sum for kneeling, smiling and waving.

Any intel on draft scripts with dropped scenes, please?
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
High C

Re: Aunt Harriet in the 1966 movie

Post by High C »

On page 67 of the pdf, there is a short scene in which Dick is upset that Bruce has been kidnapped and Aunt Harriet talks about getting ransom money ready. It follows another cut scene, of the Air Force being scrambled about all the flying umbrellas. Sterling Holloway was to play Major Terry and there is a promo photo of him in the role.

http://www.knowitalljoe.com/wp-content/ ... ttened.pdf
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Therin of Andor

Re: Aunt Harriet in the 1966 movie.

Thanks!

Yes, I knew about Sterling Holloway as Major Terry. Interesting it is next to that other cut scene. I wonder if Madge filmed her part?

Aunt Harriet by Ian McLean, on Flickr
Therin of Andor

John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Funny you use the BatLaff card! When I was young I had like 8 of them. No one would trade anything for poor Aunt Harriet.
Music. BAT! Music.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Too bad that scene was cut. It would have been fun to see Aunt Harriet get snippy with the GCPD.

Thanks for the link to the movie script. I hadn't seen it before.

The biggest revelation I got from the script? Arguably the most famous bit of 1966 bat-dialog ever wasn't even in the final draft!

"Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb" appears (worded slightly differently) in Semple's stage directions, but not as a spoken line. The decision to have Batman say it out loud must have been made during production.
Tom1980

Post by Tom1980 »

Thanks for the script copy, this is very interesting.

There is a little more dialogue from Batman when he calls the Pentagon over the submarine which appears to have been shortened in editing.

The ridiculousness of that scene went over me when I was little, but I find it very funny now. Asking if he has done anything foolish with a totally innocent look on his face always gets a laugh.
Therin of Andor

I am looking forward to my next viewing with this script on my lap! Thanks High C!
Therin of Andor

Commodore Schmidlapp

Post by Commodore Schmidlapp »

I always liked Madge Blake in both Batman and Leave it to Beaver. One of my favorite LITB episodes is where Larry Mondello throws his mother's money out the window and claims he found it, as it probably fell out of the pockets of pilot doing upside down tricks. ;) And Madge Blake was hysterical in that episode.

I was just reading up on her, and found this interesting tidbit on her Wikipedia page:

At one point, the producers of Batman wanted to fire Blake for unknown reasons. Adam West, with whom she had become friends, stood up for her and she kept her job. The next day, he found a freshly baked cake in his dressing room.

I can't imagine why they would want to fire her, but if she was receiving a high salary for a bit part, I could see the producers wanting to keep costs down. Especially in the first two seasons where she was more prominent, as the sets were more elaborate.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

I thi k she was going up on her lines and causing delays
BatmiteReturns

Post by BatmiteReturns »

Commodore Schmidlapp wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:51 pm I always liked Madge Blake in both Batman and Leave it to Beaver. One of my favorite LITB episodes is where Larry Mondello throws his mother's money out the window and claims he found it, as it probably fell out of the pockets of pilot doing upside down tricks. ;) And Madge Blake was hysterical in that episode.

I was just reading up on her, and found this interesting tidbit on her Wikipedia page:

At one point, the producers of Batman wanted to fire Blake for unknown reasons. Adam West, with whom she had become friends, stood up for her and she kept her job. The next day, he found a freshly baked cake in his dressing room.

I can't imagine why they would want to fire her, but if she was receiving a high salary for a bit part, I could see the producers wanting to keep costs down. Especially in the first two seasons where she was more prominent, as the sets were more elaborate.
stop the clock.

She was Larry's mom wasn't she?

I'm a huge leave it to beaver fan and I never once put that together.
Therin of Andor

Commodore Schmidlapp wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:51 pm I can't imagine why they would want to fire her, but if she was receiving a high salary for a bit part, I could see the producers wanting to keep costs down.
My comment regarding her high salary was only in relation to the movie. With the dropped scenes, she essentially only did a cameo.
Therin of Andor

Commodore Schmidlapp

Post by Commodore Schmidlapp »

BatmiteReturns wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:40 pm
Commodore Schmidlapp wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:51 pm I always liked Madge Blake in both Batman and Leave it to Beaver. One of my favorite LITB episodes is where Larry Mondello throws his mother's money out the window and claims he found it, as it probably fell out of the pockets of pilot doing upside down tricks. ;) And Madge Blake was hysterical in that episode.

stop the clock.

She was Larry's mom wasn't she?

I'm a huge leave it to beaver fan and I never once put that together.
Yep, she sure was!

Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

With all this discussion of Madge, I'm surprised nobody has brought up her work for the government during WWII.
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

Keith Mayo wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:54 pm With all this discussion of Madge, I'm surprised nobody has brought up her work for the government during WWII.
What?!?! Please tell! :o
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

From IMDB::
During World War II, her husband, James Lincoln Blake, and she worked in Utah on construction of the detonator for the atomic bomb and performed such jobs as testing equipment destined for the Manhattan Project. The couple received a citation for their work from the U.S. government.

Another source:

http://carpefactum.typepad.com/my_weblo ... atman.html
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11