Neil Hamilton Talkie Clip from 1930

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dr. Shimel

Neil Hamilton Talkie Clip from 1930

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Given that yesterday (9/24) was the anniversary of Hamilton's 1984 death, here's a scene from "The Widow From Chicago," where Hamilton plays someone Batman might be trying to get. Check out the bag in the scene: :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYFMWKH-5x0
Jim Akin

Re: Neil Hamilton Talkie Clip from 1930

Post by Jim Akin »

The full movie is available online. Runtime is just over 1 hour because, per Wikipedia, it was shot as a musical, but had songs removed before release, as musicals were seen as falling out of public favor. Hamilton co-stars with Edward G. Robinson in a typical gangster role. (I wonder if Robinson and Hamilton did any reminiscing when Robinson shot his window cameo—some 35 years later!)

I was struck throughout by how much Hamilton's delivery and appearance remind me of Fred MacMurray in 1944's "Double Indemnity," which also co-starred Robinson.

It's kind of interesting that the satchel in this scene isn't as loaded with sinister intent as it would have been during WWII. The Widow from Chicago came out very soon after the nazis took control in Germany, and the swastika stickers signify only that Hamilton's character has traveled there—a fact that's never mentioned in the movie, and that has no bearing on the plot; the stickers make the satchel easily identifiable to Hamilton's character (and the audience). The contents of the "grip" are never revealed, but they're presumably just Hamilton's character's personal items; he's surprised to see the bag because he abandoned it months earlier, but it doesn't contain secret papers or any other macguffin.