BAT 77 Episode #02 - The Moonman Shines / The Catwoman Designs

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BAT 77

BAT 77 Episode #02 - The Moonman Shines / The Catwoman Designs

Post by BAT 77 »

1970s Purr-fection!
1970s Purr-fection!
#02 The Moonman Shines - The Catwoman Designs.png (252.24 KiB) Viewed 2357 times
ZAP! POW! TO THE MOON! Batgirl enters the scene as she joins the Dynamic Duo (and Bat Mite) in stopping a Lunar Loony and the Princess of Plunder in our next two episodes of the 1977 Filmation series “The New Adventures of Batman”. JB reviews “The Moon Man” and “Trouble Identity”.

SHOW LINK - http://bat77.libsyn.com/02-the-moonman- ... an-designs
BAT 77 - My '70s Batman Childhood
Subscribe to the Podcast at http://bat77.libsyn.com
Visit me on Facebook.com/bat77podcast
gothosmansion

Re: BAT 77 Episode #02 - The Moonman Shines / The Catwoman Designs

Post by gothosmansion »

Enjoyed the show. I didn't think about the similarities between the Moon Man and Mark of the Man-Wolf. You're right, though. Also, when you mentioned that he turned when a comet passed close to earth, I immediately thought of Comet the Super Horse turning human when a comet passed near the Earth. At least the script-writer had read some comics.

I was surprised that Filmation re-designed Catwoman. On the 68 Filmation cartoon, Catwoman's costume looked similar to the short-lived costume that she wore on the cover to Batman 197. Maybe Filmation thought it looked old-fashion since Catwoman wasn't wearing it in the comics anymore?

Bat-Mite really didn't bother me as a five/six year old watching the show. I was even pleased to see him in Detective 482. Now that I'm older, I find him irritating. At that time, I hated that Batgirl was on the show so much, but now she is the highlight of it for me.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

A few things...

Filmation redesigning Catwoman was so pointless in that her costume was--a leotard with nothing that would sell the "cat" motif at all--as in head gear, mask--anything that the comics ever used in the then-past three decades of the character. A cat logo on the chest might as well be any random iron-on anyone would wear.

At least with the 1968 version the costume was based on a short-lived comic costume--

--which was also based on Newmar's, with the notable change of color to green.

They would have been better off using her comics costume of the period (the green dress, cat cowl, etc.), so at least there would be some source consistency.

You mentioned the Power Records Spider-Man book/record--that was the heavily edited version of Amazing Spider-Man #124-125 (September / October, 1973). Good memories of Power Records.
Beneath Wayne Manor
BAT 77

Post by BAT 77 »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:17 am A few things...

Filmation redesigning Catwoman was so pointless in that her costume was--a leotard with nothing that would sell the "cat" motif at all--as in head gear, mask--anything that the comics ever used in the then-past three decades of the character. A cat logo on the chest might as well be any random iron-on anyone would wear.

At least with the 1968 version the costume was based on a short-lived comic costume--

--which was also based on Newmar's, with the notable change of color to green.

They would have been better off using her comics costume of the period (the green dress, cat cowl, etc.), so at least there would be some source consistency.
Fair enough. I'm guessing that Filmation thought the '68 costume was too dated, and the long green dress and cape would've been too complicated for the animators. The Cat Molls looked more like the Golden Age Catwoman with some modifications (mini-skirts and no capes). Perhaps they could've switched and had the molls dressed in the tan costume instead, but I happen to like it on Selena. To be fair, they also didn't really bother having her commit cat-themed crimes as her next appearance has her stealing oil with Clayface. Although I really dig the Catmobile in that upcoming episode. At least they didn't use the short-lived costume design from the '70s comic that was also used for the Mego doll. That was pretty bad.
You mentioned the Power Records Spider-Man book/record--that was the heavily edited version of Amazing Spider-Man #124-125 (September / October, 1973). Good memories of Power Records.
Yes, I'm looking forward to reviewing the Power Records Batman stories once I'm done with the '77 series.
BAT 77 - My '70s Batman Childhood
Subscribe to the Podcast at http://bat77.libsyn.com
Visit me on Facebook.com/bat77podcast