False Face - Should He Have Appeared More?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Lounge lizard

Re: False Face - Should He Have Appeared More?

Post by Lounge lizard »

"Who's that little old man ?"
It's Wilfred Bramble, best known for his role as 'Steptoe' in the BBC's Steptoe & Son. A classic sit com still broadcast today.
I'm pretty sure the photo is from the Beatles 'Hard Day's Night' film where he played McCartney's Grand-Dad.
LL
Mr. Deathtrap

Post by Mr. Deathtrap »

Citizens,

I'd love to have seen more stories featuring False Face. Having Malachi Throne return in the role would have been fantastic, but he was great in "It Takes A Thief". (Too bad he was not retained for the third and final season.)

Anyway, unlike Riddler; Mister Freeze; and Catwoman, False Face was a villain who could have plausibly been recast again and again. Also, what is great about False Face stories is the opportunity for Batman to do detective work to see through the disguises.

As for other comic book villains, Dozier may not have been aware of Poison Ivy while developing the show prior to the broadcast of the first episodes. I have read, perhaps here, a television version of Two Face was considered and they may have wanted Clint Eastwood for it.

For Scarecrow, I cannot think of a better actor than Don Knotts. With a good script, he might have been outstanding in season two. I'd also have liked to see Doctor Hugo Strange in the show with Vincent Price or Telly Savalas (SP?) in the role. (Egghead was good, but Dr. Strange would have let us see more of the actor.)

Mr. Deathtrap
Tune in for their exciting conclusion. Same Bat-Time! Same Bat - Channel!
Batfan 66

Post by Batfan 66 »

I would have loved False Face to make another appearance.
What other actors wanted the part, but turned it down because the producers and directors decided to use a mask instead of make-up? Is there any more information about that?
Has the whole world gone batty!?!?
mattman

Post by mattman »

False Face, the Bookworm and the Clock King should have had more episodes. False Face could easily have been season 3 villains as it was a mask and possibly impersonating any of the regular cast (imagine him as Batman or Alfred) and therefore cost effective. The Minstrel and Archer were executed poorly but good villains. Would have liked to have seen another Mad Hatter story and possibly a more devious Egghead. Ma Parker could have been used a lot better and one final note, season 2s very own False Face- Colonel Gumm, very underrated in the Green Hornet story and funny and a master of disguise and voices
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Two Face was considered for the show, but his appearance was considered too ghoulish. False Face wasn't a creation of the show, he was a character from the 50s as well, so the writers and producers did look back at bat-history. DC Comics often provides reader copies to companies working on the characters.
Killer Moth

Post by Killer Moth »

I would have liked to see more False Face & Siren
LittleLouisGroovy

Post by LittleLouisGroovy »

False Face was, in my opinion, the most terrifying of all the villains. That shot of him laughing, reflected in the vending machine, scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. As for the plastic mask, I found it quite disturbing because I never knew who or what he was underneath it. The gimmick of his being a master of disguise had great potential for suspense because you never knew where he would pop up. I think he would have been a great recurring character, but perhaps he was deemed too "dark" as the series went on.

I agree that The Bookworm would have also been great to see again. Considering his gimmick of literary-based crimes, I would imagine that the writers could have come up with quite a few good ideas for him