WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 12, 1966

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AHTrois

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 12, 1966

Post by AHTrois »

"Hi Diddle Riddle" (prod. #6028-Pt. 1) first aired @ 7:30p.m. EST on ABC as the premiere episode of Batman, a thrilling new 30-minute action series based upon the characters created by Bob Kane appearing in Batman and Detective Comics Magazine published by National Periodical Publications, Inc., starring Adam West and Burt Ward and executive-produced/narrated by William Dozier.

First appearance of the late Frank Gorshin as The Riddler.

It was based on "Remarkable Ruse of the Riddler" from Batman #171 (May 1965), written by Gardner Fox; in it, The Riddler, jealous of the attention Batman is giving The Mole Hill Mob, arranges a trap so Batman will apprehend the gang and give The Riddler The Caped Crusader's undivided attention.

Aunt Harriet Cooper (Madge Blake) was written into the series to counter the rumors that Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson were gay. The series producers felt that a female aunt would "round out" Wayne Manor.

The series would add a feature film version released by 20th Century-Fox in July 1966, and would air on ABC for 2 1/2 seasons and 120 shows until March 14, 1968. It has maintained a huge cult status in the rerun circuit ever since.

Which makes today an exceptionally special Baturday!
:mrgreen:
Attachments
The Second Season! Iconic January 1966 TV Guide ad heralding the highly touted premiere of Batman on ABC!
The Second Season! Iconic January 1966 TV Guide ad heralding the highly touted premiere of Batman on ABC!
Catfan

Re: WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 12, 1966

Post by Catfan »

Thank you for mentioning this great anniversary!!! I remember this day, believe it or not! Hard to believe it was 47th anniversary!!! The episode was heavily referenced in my 2011 fan film, as some of you know. Anyway, I will be celebrating tonight!
Attachments
JILL_ST__JOHN_-19__3__002.jpg
batusi.jpg
jillstjohnadamwest.jpg
molly_029.jpg
molly_029.jpg (33.17 KiB) Viewed 1767 times
Bat Tom

Re: WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 12, 1966

Post by Bat Tom »

Thank you sharing the pictures, how time flies.