If the series ever comes out on Blu Ray

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

clavierankh

If the series ever comes out on Blu Ray

Post by clavierankh »

I would just as soon they go aha and release a set with the whole series right away.

The problem with the way they release series a season is that they wait and see how sales are then decide about the next season. I thin we can assume sales would be good enough to release all three seasons. Then they release the full series with additional extras. Now if you want the additional extras you have to buy everything you bought already all over again.

This happened with the Wild Wild West. I bought all four seasons. Then they came out with the full series set including the reunion movies which were never released any other way. I didn't buy the full set because I couldn't see paying that much when I already had at least 90% of what was in the set. So I never got the reunion movies.

The problem is if you say "I'm going to wait for the full series" then sales of the single season sets might not be enough to justify the company putting out more.

I fon't think this will be a problem with Batman but I hate the idea of buying the three seasons individually and then them coming out with the full series with more extras.
That_weirdo_Cage

Re: If the series ever comes out on Blu Ray

Post by That_weirdo_Cage »

I'm a cheapskate and a skinflint (and not without reason), but this is one area where I would pinch pennies for many other things and probably get the initial releases and then the box set later, as well. Then the original releases could be given to someone as a gift or something. Possibly I am too obsessive about some things, though. :lol:
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

Pennies nothing; pinch quarters!

They accumulate MUCH faster than measley old pennies!

I know you don't mean to pinch them literally, but quarters really DO add up a lot quicker!

I've got nearly $200.00 saved up in the little darlings myself.
Space Ghost

Post by Space Ghost »

Heck, at this point I would take the release on VHS! :roll:
You're Never Too Old to have a Happy Childhood
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

Do they even make VHS anymore????
LittleLouisGroovy

Post by LittleLouisGroovy »

It would be interesting to see how Fox would release this, considering the two-episodes-per-week format of the first two seasons. Because the first season was only a half-season, it would balance out, but the second season, in terms of episode count, is like two seasons of a regular series. Would they release season two as one set or in two separate volumes?

Personally, I think it would make sense for Fox to go ahead and release the entire series as one big set, and then at a later date, release individual seasons if the demand is there. I know that there are fans who might not want to own all three seasons, but I imagine that most fans would want the whole series and would be willing to splurge on a deluxe set that includes all the episodes and lots of extras.
That_weirdo_Cage

I think most of the potential extras have already been released in other projects. IIRC, that's pointed out at the tvshowsondvd site (don't recall the site URL... :? ), where they note that Batman is an unusual case because it's been unreleased for so long that all of the extras have already come out on various DVDs. Aside from a full version of the Batgirl pilot, I don't know what else they could put on them. Commentaries would be nice, but (being a Gloomy Gus) I would expect something like the Gilligan's Island or Wonder Woman releases, or the Batman/Super Friends/Justice League cartoons, with few if any episode commentaries. :? :(

Not that I'd gripe if there were extras. Please let there be extras! But... I get ahead of myself. Please let there be a release of the episodes! :lol:
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

LittleLouisGroovy wrote:Personally, I think it would make sense for Fox to go ahead and release the entire series as one big set, and then at a later date, release individual seasons if the demand is there. I know that there are fans who might not want to own all three seasons, but I imagine that most fans would want the whole series and would be willing to splurge on a deluxe set that includes all the episodes and lots of extras.
The all-at-once option might be best, since I can see the sales for S3 dropping considerably, given the oft-mentioned criticisms.
BatMite

Post by BatMite »

That_weirdo_Cage wrote:I think most of the potential extras have already been released in other projects. IIRC, that's pointed out at the tvshowsondvd site (don't recall the site URL... :? ), where they note that Batman is an unusual case because it's been unreleased for so long that all of the extras have already come out on various DVDs. Aside from a full version of the Batgirl pilot, I don't know what else they could put on them. Commentaries would be nice, but (being a Gloomy Gus) I would expect something like the Gilligan's Island or Wonder Woman releases, or the Batman/Super Friends/Justice League cartoons, with few if any episode commentaries. :? :(

Not that I'd gripe if there were extras. Please let there be extras! But... I get ahead of myself. Please let there be a release of the episodes! :lol:
There's still Adam West's on set home movies, behind the scenes dailies, the supposed Lave Soap commercial from '67, the seat belt safety film, the UK street safety film, guest appearances on Hollywood Palace, Merv Griffin, and no doubt other potential extras that would make fantastic incentives to double dip if necessary.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

That_weirdo_Cage wrote:I think most of the potential extras have already been released in other projects. IIRC, that's pointed out at the tvshowsondvd site (don't recall the site URL... :? ), where they note that Batman is an unusual case because it's been unreleased for so long that all of the extras have already come out on various DVDs. Aside from a full version of the Batgirl pilot, I don't know what else they could put on them.
Fox could try to get the rights to show cast appearances on 1960s variety programs (in and out of costume), which have not seen an official release. That would give a great period feel to how the world outside the series percieved Batmania.

Any Dynamic Duo-related product commercials that cashed in on the style of the series are another kind of extra revealing a relevant look into the era--even if the products were selling the comic version of the characters.

Then, there's a 60's magazine gallery (cover and articles)--and not just the well-seen/known issues of Spies, Spoofs & Super Guys, the Super Heroes movie special, LIFE, MAD, American Cinematographer, Cracked, Hot Rod, Monster World, Castle of Frankenstein, TV Guide, etc. You can include the aforementioned issues, but there were a ton of running or one-shot TV and movie star magazines which covered the series (two years ago, I posted one such magazine called Teen Book).

Of course, one would need to be selective about the titles making the cut, but this is not an uncommon practice (ex. the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea DVDs featured the MAD satire in full), so there's a lot of gold left to unearth to make a well-loaded package for the official release--and i'm sure just about everyone would eat it up.

Oh, one more thing: a meaty feature on the explosion of TV-centric merchandising, with detailed images, collector interviews, etc.
Beneath Wayne Manor
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

For seasons one and two, I think they should release all first part episodes and then tell us at the end of each episode.... WAIT! THE BEST IS YET TO COME! And then release all second parters about six months later in another box set! That would be WILD! (To quote Mr. Freeze.) That way it would be in keeping with the cliff hanger form and completely new to the format. Afterall, they were trend setters in TV doing that, why not think out of the "boxset?"

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Batguitarist wrote:For seasons one and two, I think they should release all first part episodes and then tell us at the end of each episode.... WAIT! THE BEST IS YET TO COME! And then release all second parters about six months later in another box set! That would be WILD! (To quote Mr. Freeze.) That way it would be in keeping with the cliff hanger form and completely new to the format. Afterall, they were trend setters in TV doing that, why not think out of the "boxset?"

John
That would just annoy everyone--specifically because just to watch one full episode, you'd have to take out a disc, put a new one in, etc. For the first two seasons, that would be 46 times.
TheBlueHombre

Post by TheBlueHombre »

Batguitarist wrote:For seasons one and two, I think they should release all first part episodes and then tell us at the end of each episode.... WAIT! THE BEST IS YET TO COME! And then release all second parters about six months later in another box set! That would be WILD! (To quote Mr. Freeze.) That way it would be in keeping with the cliff hanger form and completely new to the format. Afterall, they were trend setters in TV doing that, why not think out of the "boxset?"

John
I got a smirk on my face when I read this. What a concept! In today's society, people have to have everything right away or else they don't want it. When stations show the series today they usually piggyback the two parts together to fill out an hour. Making people wait, like we had to do when the showed aired originally, would be a hoot. I can see the possibilities: Netflix gets the rights to distribute the Batman show on DVD and what they do is release a part one episode on DVD and then people get the second part when they mail the first one back.
Same Bat-Time
Same Bat-Channel
Same Perilous Predicament
I act the riddler

Post by I act the riddler »

Lets hope it does soon!
Please do not embed videos into signatures.
- The management.
That_weirdo_Cage

I'm glad I'm wrong, if there's not a lack of extras that could be included with a release! :D

I'm starting to worry that if we ever see a release, it will be after the era of home video as we've known it. I've read that the entertainment industry wants to implement a "cloud computing" sort of standard for the sort of thing we now get on DVD, with the content stored somewhere on a network and the buyer gaining the right to watch it, but never having a separate copy at home. I may be silly for wanting it, but I want to have a set of the shows on a shelf, where I can watch them at will without having to have cable or internet or some other account, or risk losing access altogether if something goes wrong with my account status. :?

But that's just my latest neurotic worry. :lol: I have loads of them. Regular Eeyore, me. :oops: