TO THE BATPOLES podcast #098: “Three Villains of Doom”: A “Novel” bit of Bat-Merch

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES podcast #098: “Three Villains of Doom”: A “Novel” bit of Bat-Merch

Post by bat-rss »

In 1966, Signet released the novel Batman vs. Three Villains of Doom by Winston Lyon. Like most Batman '66 tie-in merch, it was released very early in the show's run, which means that its ability to ape the show is limited. Lyon sometimes borrows from the comics to augment what he doesn't know about the show, and sometimes simply has to make stuff up.

The novel deals with a contest between Penguin, Joker, and Catwoman to defeat Batman and earn the coveted Tommy Award. But wait — where's Riddler? And just who is this Winston Lyon, anyway? In this episode we look into those questions, discuss what is and isn't in line with the '66 show in this novel, and somehow even find time to go on a camping trip.

Plus, the Nashville Five version of the Batman theme, and your mail!

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/098-thr ... -bat-merch
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
crazedvillain 2

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #098: “Three Villains of Doom”: A “Novel” bit of Bat-Merch

Post by crazedvillain 2 »

I recently bought the Fearsome Four book through Etsy. I've been considering this one.
John Mack

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #098: “Three Villains of Doom”: A “Novel” bit of Bat-Merch

Post by John Mack »

The Nashville Five version is actually a cover version of the Marketts version and the Dynamic Batmen version from the Panda records release.
Music. BAT! Music.
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

bat-rss wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:33 am In 1966, Signet released the novel Batman vs. Three Villains of Doom by Winston Lyon. Like most Batman '66 tie-in merch, it was released very early in the show's run, which means that its ability to ape the show is limited. Lyon sometimes borrows from the comics to augment what he doesn't know about the show, and sometimes simply has to make stuff up.
Fun remembrances.

As I listen to you chatting, I recall reading that Winston Lyon was given the movie novelisation gig on the strength of this one and it makes me wonder if his teaming of three major villains, plus the public reaction to Gorshin's Riddler, helped to consolidate what the feature film would be about? Or was it already determined that the delayed movie script was firmed up before the episodes were rushed into production.

And yes, the Catwoman descriptions match her then-contemporary comic costume (and the opening credits of each episode!)

The Signet version of "vs the Fearsome Foursome" (1966) has Adam with the bomb and Burt in his sidecar on the cover. The Four Square UK edition (1967) has the Batcycle on the front cover and lacks the colour photo of the villains on the back cover.

UPDATE: Wow! What fun to hear my "Mego memories" post quoted as part of this episode of "To the Batpoles!" Thanks guys! I am way behind on my podcast-listening. I used to have a good routine going, and it seems I have lots to catch up on.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

John Mack wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:41 pm The Nashville Five version is actually a cover version of the Marketts version and the Dynamic Batmen version from the Panda records release.
I did think the arrangement was lifted from one of the other versions! Thanks
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Therin of Andor wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:46 am UPDATE: Wow! What fun to hear my "Mego memories" post quoted as part of this episode of "To the Batpoles!" Thanks guys! I am way behind on my podcast-listening. I used to have a good routine going, and it seems I have lots to catch up on.
Reading everyone else's action figure memories was as fun as re-living our own! Thanks!
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Another great one, guys! My older brothers bought this long before I was In the world, but by the time I came along and read it, I did not think it was necessarily "wrong" despite being a TV-tie-in, anymore than coloring books or Whitman's Bat-books which took clear cues from the TV series. In other words, the Signet Bat-book was not strictly a "based on" publication in the way of the James Blish Star Trek or Richard Deming Mod Squad novels, so I guess I did not have too many dashed expectations about Lyons' interpretation.

I do agree that the book's version of the Joker was more Gorshin Riddler than Romero; in the series, it was Gorshin would go from delivering a mocking stream plots or riddles, then suddenly explode into a rage. That was certainly not the Romero Joker. In fact, of the TV villains, only the Bookworm shared Riddler's 1-to-1000 personality of calm to anger.

About Mego, I'm surprised you guys never spotted the Wayne Foundation playset; it was that great, untouchable thing that was on the shelves for about a year (as far as I can remember) then gone forever. Here's a photo of it--

The commercial--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBLHyzERklw

...and the Mego Museum link: http://www.megomuseum.com/wgsh/playsets ... ation.html

Needless to say, my young eyes nearly jumped out of my head when seeing this. It was the next, logical step to promote Batman, and had everything Mego's Batcave should have, like plastic computer consoles, chairs, etc.

Oh, and here's the Mego Hall of Justice playset--

And the commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKiGJYIsfhY
Beneath Wayne Manor
BAT 77

Post by BAT 77 »

Thanks for the small plug for my podcast when reading my Bat letter on the latest episode. Hope you get a chance to listen soon and enjoy. Right now I'm in the middle of my reviews for the '77 Filmation Batman, and after a short break after the holidays I will be starting my look back at the Power Records Batman stories.

Great episode of your podcast, as always.
BAT 77 - My '70s Batman Childhood
Subscribe to the Podcast at http://bat77.libsyn.com
Visit me on Facebook.com/bat77podcast
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Love the power records
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!