Siren costume change?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

vintagematt

Siren costume change?

Post by vintagematt »

I recently watched "The Wail of the Siren" and noticed that in the scene where the siren and commisoner gordon are in the parking garage, the siren has a completely different hairstyle and costume! Anyone know why that is?

Thanks! :D
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
dell

Re: Siren costume change?

Post by dell »

I assume this is her street apparel which would allow her to blend in to a crowd while out and about. At least more than her silver Siren dress. Remember, it was the 1960's so her second outfit would not have been as outrageous back then as it would be today. Especially for a fashionable woman in a large city like Gotham City.
dell
High C

Post by High C »

As the person who probably has watched this particular episode more times than anyone else on the planet, I'll do my best to explain.

Yes, logistically it makes little sense because when would The Siren have had time to change not only her clothing, but her hairstyle?
dell wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:05 pm I assume this is her street apparel which would allow her to blend in to a crowd while out and about. At least more than her silver Siren dress. Remember, it was the 1960's so her second outfit would not have been as outrageous back then as it would be today. Especially for a fashionable woman in a large city like Gotham City.
As for the reasoning, dell is correct. In the script, she is identified as Lorelei Circe, not Siren, in the parking garage scene. The stage directions note that it's Lorelei Circe (Siren dressed for street).

As dell also noted, other than perhaps the color, the dress itself wouldn't have been completely outrageous in a large U.S. city in 1967. The 'mod' style, which began in Joan Collins' (and Siren's?) native England, had made its presence well-known in America by then. Joan herself was photographed in some sleeveless mod dresses around that time.

As for why the show itself did it, my educated guess is this--the scene, which was longer in the script, was the only one Joan shot on the second day of filming, Aug. 7, 1967. And it was the last scene of the day. I suspect it wasn't worth the time and effort to have Joan in the makeup chair for so long, having the wig attached, for only one scene.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Joan has been on record as saying how the wig gave her a headache so I'm sure she was glad to skip it for a day!