Can anybody identify this switch?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

dreddbatfan

Can anybody identify this switch?

Post by dreddbatfan »

In my neverending project to get all the gadgets for Batmans Utility Belt I'm stuck at the 50,000 volt pouch.What I need to know is what type of switch is that at the top and where do I get one?I figured if anybody could tell me it would be the members on the message board.Thanks for any help that someone can give me,I really appreciate it.
Attachments
tumblr_nz9ykdrx2y1ultu3qo1_540.jpg
dell

Re: Can anybody identify this switch?

Post by dell »

Just looking at it I would guess it is some sort of push button switch. Most toggle switches "lean" to one side and you flip them to the opposite side to activate. This switch is not leaning so I don't think it is a toggle switch. That pretty much leaves a push button switch.

I don't remember ever seeing this device? Where is the photo from? An episode? The movie? Do we see Batman activate this device?
dell
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

It's from Trapped In The Spiders Den Batman uses it to electrocute Black WIdow's spiders.
rajung

Post by rajung »

If that is a plunger type switch, I think it's from an automotive dash mounted glove box that turns on the light when opened. Not the same amount of prongs but a good starting point. I'm sure the reason it is slightly popped up and shows the prongs in your pic, is that it must be a wooden block with a hole to fit switch but that would not have a thin sharp edge for the prongs to grip under and so would need adhesive to avoid the same thing during use. 50,000v is a little on the beefy side
switch.jpg
switch.jpg (11.99 KiB) Viewed 5828 times
switch 2.jpg
switch 2.jpg (84.91 KiB) Viewed 5825 times
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

rajung wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:20 am If that is a plunger type switch, I think it's from an automotive dash mounted glove box that turns on the light when opened. Not the same amount of prongs but a good starting point. I'm sure the reason it is slightly popped up and shows the prongs in your pic, is that it must be a wooden block with a hole to fit switch but that would not have a thin sharp edge for the prongs to grip under and so would need adhesive to avoid the same thing during use. 50,000v is a little on the beefy side
switch.jpg
switch 2.jpg
Yes, 50,000 volts is a lot, but generally it's the amperage that will kill you.
Music. BAT! Music.
To The Batpoles!

Post by To The Batpoles! »

Look again, folks. It's actually 5,000 Volts, NOT 50,000 Volts.

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

Still quite a jolt, since an electric chair generates about 2000 volts. Since spiders use electricity to fly, maybe those giant spiders just needed a really big dose to kill them. Gotham City Science is a lot like Toho Science (and science in most pop culture ;) ).
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Lord Death Man wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:22 am Gotham City Science is a lot like Toho Science (and science in most pop culture ;) ).
Yes indeed. I've sometimes wondered what an actual 12,000 dB pulse would be like. If it were possible, it'd certainly do much more than flush out Bookworm and his twisty goons. :)
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

There was another example of Gotham City science gone wrong in the Bookworm arc. Batman uses the Bat Magnet to try and open Bookworm's steel book. He tells Robin to turn it up to one ton and points the shot gun like magnet at the book. Unless Batman can lift and hold one ton he should have flown at the book and face planted in the steel cover.
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

You'd think Batman would have learned that from his experience with Penguin's magnet... :lol:
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

Jim Akin wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:18 am
Lord Death Man wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:22 am Gotham City Science is a lot like Toho Science (and science in most pop culture ;) ).
Yes indeed. I've sometimes wondered what an actual 12,000 dB pulse would be like. If it were possible, it'd certainly do much more than flush out Bookworm and his twisty goons. :)
It would probably destroy the universe. There's a theory that just 1,100 db would create a black hole larger than the Milky Way because the quantity of energy needed to produce it would create mass with enough gravity to do so. Batman must have wanted those fine twisty worms awfully bad :)

EDIT: I just clicked on your link and saw it goes to the same thing. :lol:
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!