TO THE BATPOLES podcast #102: Egghead & Olga: A Strange Way to Run a Three-Parter

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES podcast #102: Egghead & Olga: A Strange Way to Run a Three-Parter

Post by bat-rss »

In what we promise will be our last Egghead and Olga episode (maybe), we dig into the script for the original three-part version of their third-season story featuring Vincent Price and Anne Baxter. Because of an apparent aversion to running a three-part story (besides Londinium, that is), Batman's producers chopped part one, The Ogg Couple, and ran it six weeks AFTER broadcasting the second and third parts. As this decision was made AFTER shooting was completed, the decision necessitated not only script changes, but re-shooting of some scenes, and a lot of mucking with the ending tag scenes of a couple of other episodes. It also scuttled some much-needed part-one exposition and what was supposed to be a running gag through the three parts. We uncover some surprising details!

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/102-egg ... ree-parter
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
BAT 77

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #102: Egghead & Olga: A Strange Way to Run a Three-Parter

Post by BAT 77 »

Great episode of the podcast as always.

You were asking about the musical "It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman". ABC produced a television version of the musical which aired once in 1975 in the late night slot after the 10pm news. I would've been seven at that time, and I remember cajoling by dad into letting me stay up past my bedtime to watch this. I think I lasted 15 minutes before falling asleep on the couch. In retrospect, it was probably for the best as it's the epitome of 70's variety show schlock, complete with superimposed fight sounds straight from '66 Batman.

The whole program is on YouTube if you're brave enough to see for yourself - (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNXbdLDZLKM). The cast of the television production included Leslie Ann Warren as Lois Lane, a role she auditioned for at the casting call for the Richard Donner film, as well as David Wayne playing Dr. Abner Sedgwick. I may have to break down and watch this if you two decide to dedicate a podcast about it.

The original Broadway cast recording can also be found on YouTube.
BAT 77 - My '70s Batman Childhood
Subscribe to the Podcast at http://bat77.libsyn.com
Visit me on Facebook.com/bat77podcast
epaddon

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #102: Egghead & Olga: A Strange Way to Run a Three-Parter

Post by epaddon »

The 75 ABC TV broadcast is a truncated version of the original Broadway script, eliminating one character and subplot (the lab assistant of Dr. Sedgwick who falls for Lois Lane) and also changing the henchmen from Chinese acrobats to standard Mafia types. So it isn't a completely faithful version but its as good a representation as you can find of just about *any* failed Broadway show.

The ABC production aired late night at 11:30 PM as part of ABC's "Wide World Of Entertainment", which at the time was its latest desperate attempt to find a way to offer counter-programming against Johnny Carson. After Dick Cavett's talk show was deemed a failure, they came up with the idea of presenting different entertainment specials every night (with Cavett still doing an occasional week of talk shows). This lasted until 1976 I think.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

The Superman musical was broadcast on ABC on Feb. 21, 1975.

Regarding Baxter's knack for Russian dialogue, this was from an interview in August 1967 during the filming:

"Years ago, I learned a Russian accent from the great actress Maria Ouspenskaya. And I'm using it now, for this part. Little did I know that I'd learn a Russian accent just to go around saying, "Ah, Batushka, you are doomed!"

Maria Ouspenskaya's IMDB page:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0653642/?ref_=rvi_nm

Interestingly, Baxter also says that she was offered the chance to play "Marion" Queen of Diamonds, but she turned it down, saying, "One must still pick and choose."

Regarding the script change to exploit the Alan Hale, Jr./Gilligan connection, that show was originally renewed for the 1967-68 season. However, because Gunsmoke (which had been cancelled) was the favorite show of William Paley's wife, two 30-minute shows were axed--Gilligan and what would have been a new sitcom "Doc," starring John McIntire--which never actually made it on the air. Hale's now-available status might have been a reason for the script change.
Mr. Glee

Post by Mr. Glee »

An enjoyable and informative show, as always.

One little detail about Part 2 that I don't think was mentioned in the podcast - if you watch carefully during the post-kidnapping scenes in Gordon's office, the egg sandwich comes and goes from Gordon's desk (sandwich present = original footage; sandwich missing = later re-shot footage.)

About the "X" notations seen on the revised pages of the script - those are to flag the specific changes made, for the benefit of cast and crew. If you check the July 18 revised pages, you'll notice an "X" marking every appearance of the name "Gilligan" - I believe this indicates that the character's name was changed from "Mike" to "Gilligan" on that date. Reviewing the July 17 revised pages, I notice that most of the X's there seem to correspond to egg-related word-play ("Eggsquisite," "Eggsplain," etc.), suggesting these were late additions that Sherman had not included in his original script.
High C

Post by High C »

Another terrific episode (yours, not theirs). The script episodes are my favorites. They are so informative.

I liked Tim's points about how the tag scenes kept having to change because of the changes in airing order. His Egghead impression also was a winner. Paul's Bill and Ted reference made me laugh.

My best guess is that as story editor, Charles Hoffman probably did the rewrites for the scenes that needed to be re-shot.

I was surprised (maybe you did it when you reviewed the actual arc and I forgot) that you didn't comment on how Gordon's kidnapping would ensure a big ransom? Only if the other arch-criminals paid it. Penguin to Olga/Egghead: 'Don't kill the Commissioner! We want him to stay in office, forever, wack, wack.'

Another good point was made about how Adam flubbed a line but then recovered to add the original word.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/bAXLCwJCugA[/YouTube]

Just checking in to let you know that I care.

Also, and I know this pales in comparison to the points brought up already in this thread, but... Though strudel is a German word, it is also a traditional food of more eastern European countries as well. Though I agree that a word like "baklava" or "burek" might've sounded more authentic. Damn, I'm hungry.

Looking forward to the upcoming camping trip! Save me a wiener and a marshmallow or two ;)
- Boy Genius
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

On the topic of Rear Window action figures, we're almost there...

Barbie as Grace Kelly in Rear Window

Hitchcock has had several plastic avatars, so we just need Jimmy Stewart.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

mwilbury wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:58 pm On the topic of Rear Window action figures, we're almost there...

Barbie as Grace Kelly in Rear Window

Hitchcock has had several plastic avatars, so we just need Jimmy Stewart.
No Raymond Burr? :lol:
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

I just found a copy of the libretto (script) for the original 1966 production of the Superman musical, which should help if that ever becomes the subject of a future podcast (since the 1975 TV version made a number of drastic changes).

https://mega.nz/#!okMhiYCT!oJxUeAcNlRxa ... nMoXsYkXGc
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Thanks. It seems we will definitely have to get to this in a relatively short amount of time (translation: within 2019!)....
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"