Batmobile #1 up for auction

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

greenhornet66

Batmobile #1 up for auction

Post by greenhornet66 »

George Barris's famed Batmobile #1 is on the auction stage on Barrett-Jackson tonight. Mr. Barris is letting it go, i seen an interview how heart broken he is for saying goodbye to it.
NX01JB

Re: Batmobile #1 up for auction

Post by NX01JB »

Why would he want to get rid of it? Once he does, does he still own the copyright for merchandising?
logar2

Post by logar2 »

It's surprising how unusually quiet it is on this board about this topic. I thought for sure that if anyone was going to comment on this it would be Scott. Seeing how he has somewhat of a relationship with Barris. Curious.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

This has already gotten a pretty hefty discussion over here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=431

As for me, I'm simply staying out of it and hoping for the best auction results for George and his family.
greenhornet66

Post by greenhornet66 »

The auction is going to go on through the weekend at Scottsdale, AZ. So iam not sure what day it will be up for auction. Just keep watching at 7:00 e.t.
greenhornet66

Batmobile - Saturday night

Post by greenhornet66 »

The Batmobile will go on the auction floor saturday night on the Barrett-Jackson show. Anyone have any predictions of how much it will sell for? Will it go over $250.000 ?
Wayne Faucher

Post by Wayne Faucher »

Well, I think it's indisputably the most famous car in the world. I guess Bond's Aston Martin is pretty close, but I can't think of any other automobile in this class... 250G sounds low to me. I don't think the economy will have much to do with the sale either, as it will most like be taken out of the country. Just my opinion, though....
Space Ghost

Post by Space Ghost »

I'll be ready with my bid on Saturday! ;)
You're Never Too Old to have a Happy Childhood
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

George has a reserve on the car which you can bet is VERY high. I think it may be close to a million if not that much; only thing that may keep him from getting that much is the fact that there enough replicas - including the ones he built for the series - available for someone who wants one.
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Wayne Faucher

Post by Wayne Faucher »

True. But this is the only one with the "55 Futura underneath. It's like a first edition of a rare book which had a print run of one. How that translates into dollars remains to be seen.

I'll be curious to see if it's restored to it's TV version or if the new owner will retain the changes made by Barris over the years. I'd hate to be the one to make that decision. Luckily, I probably won't be...

Does anyone know what time (EST) the auction airs?
Lee Kirkham

Post by Lee Kirkham »

I would die laughing if the winning bidder decided to restore it back to the Futura. THAT would be hilarious and cool at the same time.
I find you to be odious, abhorrent and insegrevious.
batdom28

Post by batdom28 »

Actually if im not mistaken the car has a 5 million dollar reserve .. this car isnt gonna go for cheap, i dont care what anyone says.. this is most famous car in the world.. and i hope i sells to a museum who will continue to show it to people.. around the country /world
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Here we go...

SOLD for $4,200,000!!!

"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."