TO THE BATPOLES podcast #104: Batman Returns ...and Kyle appears

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES podcast #104: Batman Returns ...and Kyle appears

Post by bat-rss »

You might say that the latest episode of TO THE BATPOLES is the 180-degree opposite of the previous one -- from academic thought about interpretations of the Batman character, we swing to a review of the 1992 film "Batman Returns" and a lot of reminiscing about our bat-childhoods with old friend Kyle!

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/104-bat ... le-appears
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
High C

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #104: Batman Returns ...and Kyle appears

Post by High C »

A fun show. You guys and Kyle sounded as if you had just been hanging out the day before. The good feelings and chemistry still were very much in evidence.

I agree with him, the grotesque-ness of the Burton-ized Pengy origin story took me completely out of the movie. And unlike Kyle, I couldn't get back into it.

Tim made a good point about Michael Keaton not really fitting into a Tim Burton movie. He was an OK Bruce Wayne for me, but I didn't buy him as Batman.

When Penguin was getting pelted by the crowd, he should've said 'please omit tomatoes.' I don't get his plan of killing the first-born sons. Taking over the surfers and hippies would make more sense, honestly. Penguin is about profit, not random murders. Again, my problem with Burton is how he takes material not his own and frames it through his own weird image, which I, personally, do not find entertaining.

Paul, I have a question about The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. The guy he was using to commit murders, was he in animated suspension?

You guys also could have noted that Radar O'Reilly of MASH was from Ottumwa, Iowa.

Tim, nice job on finding interesting info about the CW costume. Talk about Pfeiffer suffering for her art.

Kyle made the point about Batman adopting Selina's cat. Perhaps that was a callback to CW's cat winding up in Wayne Manor after CW fell down the crevasse in her first (and by leaps and bounds her best) arc.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
cammy85

Post by cammy85 »

I believe Penguin's plan had to do with the fact that he was a first-born son as well and was sent off to die because of his appearance. He wanted everyone in Gotham to see how it felt to be cast away like that.
High C

Post by High C »

cammy85 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:15 am I believe Penguin's plan had to do with the fact that he was a first-born son as well and was sent off to die because of his appearance. He wanted everyone in Gotham to see how it felt to be cast away like that.
Yes, but where's the profit? Pengy usually is all about the benjies, the benjamins.

If Burton did a Peanuts movie, Charlie Brown would murder Lucy with a giant football and Snoopy would be a half-human, half-dog vowing revenge on Charlie for making him the mutant freak that he is. Hard pass.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

High C wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:04 pm If Burton did a Peanuts movie, Charlie Brown would murder Lucy with a giant football and Snoopy would be a half-human, half-dog vowing revenge on Charlie for making him the mutant freak that he is. Hard pass.
You tempt me to create a thread in "Off-Topic" in which Burton remakes of other famous properties would be summarized.....!
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
P “Junior Batman” Y

Post by P “Junior Batman” Y »

Animated suspension, High C? Yes. Yes he was.
High C

Post by High C »

P “Junior Batman” Y wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:16 am Animated suspension, High C? Yes. Yes he was.
Thanks for the clarification. :lol:
bat-rss wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:24 am
High C wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:04 pm If Burton did a Peanuts movie, Charlie Brown would murder Lucy with a giant football and Snoopy would be a half-human, half-dog vowing revenge on Charlie for making him the mutant freak that he is. Hard pass.
You tempt me to create a thread in "Off-Topic" in which Burton remakes of other famous properties would be summarized.....!
HAHA. I know this much--if Burton used, let's say, Siren as a villainess, she'd be half-bird like in the original mythology, and men would be leaping off buildings in conga lines.

P “Junior Batman” Y

Post by P “Junior Batman” Y »

...and then, Batman would tie himself to the hood of the Batmobile and compel Robin, his ears stuffed with Noiseproof Bat-Plugs, to drive him past Siren's apartment (or obvious, badly dressed soundstage?) as she sings her Emergency Broadcast System alarm. Quite the odyssey.
High C

Post by High C »

P “Junior Batman” Y wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:03 am ...and then, Batman would tie himself to the hood of the Batmobile and compel Robin, his ears stuffed with Noiseproof Bat-Plugs, to drive him past Siren's apartment (or obvious, badly dressed soundstage?) as she sings her Emergency Broadcast System alarm. Quite the odyssey.
Well-played with outstanding Burton-esque details.

...and then, Charlie would betray Batgirl because he really is Siren's half-brother...

robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

High C wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:16 am
HAHA. I know this much--if Burton used, let's say, Siren as a villainess, she'd be half-bird like in the original mythology, and men would be leaping off buildings in conga lines.
Holy Burtonesque! That about nails it.

Batman Returns is terrible save Michelle Pfeiffer's performance.Anti-climatic, boring and nonsensical.
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

P “Junior Batman” Y wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:03 am ...and then, Batman would tie himself to the hood of the Batmobile and compel Robin, his ears stuffed with Noiseproof Bat-Plugs, to drive him past Siren's apartment (or obvious, badly dressed soundstage?) as she sings her Emergency Broadcast System alarm. Quite the odyssey.
Holy Homer!

Funny!
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

High C wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:16 am
P “Junior Batman” Y wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:16 am Animated suspension, High C? Yes. Yes he was.
Thanks for the clarification. :lol:
bat-rss wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:24 am
I can see that...in every Burton film, since he's so obsessed with misfit and/or "freak" characters. The Burton / Schumacher Bat-films were one long nightmare.
Beneath Wayne Manor