John Astin appears on the Gilbert Gottfried podcast!

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Progress Pigment

John Astin appears on the Gilbert Gottfried podcast!

Post by Progress Pigment »

I was very excited by this, as I am a big fan of JA, one of the last living Bat-Villains. He's, by all I've ever heard, a great guy, and has had a very interesting life. He teaches acting these days. The show had apparently been chasing him down for two years! They finally got him through of his actor sons, one of which is of course Sean Astin. He seemed to really enjoy appearing on Batman, which is nice to hear.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 17204&_rdr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUZECfOfDU4

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
John Mack

Re: John Astin appears on the Gilbert Gottfried podcast!

Post by John Mack »

When I was about 10 or so, I started noticing the change of actors. I was always fascinated by the music, so his episode has a special place in my heart what with what I call the anniversary Battheme and the underwater music for the fight scene. Both of which written and performed ONLY for that episode. A rare treat in the series, as by that time, they were "recycling" the music for most episodes.
Music. BAT! Music.
Kamdan

Post by Kamdan »

Always wondered if they asked him to shave his mustache or decided not to after Romero’s refusal.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

John Mack wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:18 pm When I was about 10 or so, I started noticing the change of actors. I was always fascinated by the music, so his episode has a special place in my heart what with what I call the anniversary Battheme and the underwater music for the fight scene. Both of which written and performed ONLY for that episode. A rare treat in the series, as by that time, they were "recycling" the music for most episodes.
Yes, the underwater Bat-fight music was a nice variation of the theme. I would love to hear all of the takes of that piece. Just another of the many reasons you know....
Beneath Wayne Manor
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Sigh. I have tried to contact him through his university to get him on our podcast, but never got an answer. Guess I'll have to settle for a listen to this instead!
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Maybe I should also try going through his sons!
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

As mentioned in the interview!
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

bat-rss wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:06 pm Maybe I should also try going through his sons!
You should! He obviously had a great time on Batman, and would probably love talking about his episode, once he got started. In the next podcast after this one Frank Santopadre, Gilbert's co-host, mentioned that John Astin had been their "Great White Whale". :)

A couple of things I took away from their talk. John Astin appeared on the 1970's Horror anthology Ghost Story, and I was a little surprised they didn't bring it up. Gilbert Gottfried & Frank Santopadre are huge classic horror fans, and not only was the series produced by the legendary William Castle, who they have mentioned many times, but he also appeared in Astin's episode! My assumption is that it was off the table because his wife Patty Duke Astin also appeared in the episode. If you want the "tea" as the kids say, Sean Astin's parenthood was in question after his birth, and there was an assumption he was the biological child of Desi Arnez Jr. or secondly John Astin. DNA tests later proved the father was a photographer Patty Duke Astin had previously been involved with. However, indicative of the man, John Astin raised Sean Astin as his own son. Patty Duke Astin also apparently has some mental issues. I think all this has made John Astin gun-shy about interviews. Being uncertain of the interviewers motives. Hopefully his good experience on Gilbert's podcast will loosen him up! I wish they'd at least asked him about Adam West. Who appeared on the podcast, and who they both obviously adored.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Interesting. Yeah, he may have dragged his feet even for Gilbert. I'm a little reluctant to try the same path Gilbert took, since I have way, way less Hollywood cred than Gilbert (in fact, I have none, last I looked), and also I'm afraid every podcaster and his brother (haha) is going to be contacting Astin's kids now about interviews!
Lars Limpet

Post by Lars Limpet »

bat-rss wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:10 am Interesting. Yeah, he may have dragged his feet even for Gilbert. I'm a little reluctant to try the same path Gilbert took, since I have way, way less Hollywood cred than Gilbert (in fact, I have none, last I looked), and also I'm afraid every podcaster and his brother (haha) is going to be contacting Astin's kids now about interviews!
No offense, but I doubt any of your listeners want to hear from the most sub-standard recast in the history of Batman ‘66. It would amount to two minutes of “replacing Frank Gorshin” chat and lead into a 45 minute monologue about what it was like to work with Carolyn Jones, Jackie Coogan, and Ted Cassidy’s hand. Spare us, please.
High C

Post by High C »

Lars Limpet wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:41 pm No offense, but I doubt any of your listeners want to hear from the most sub-standard recast in the history of Batman ‘66. It would amount to two minutes of “replacing Frank Gorshin” chat and lead into a 45 minute monologue about what it was like to work with Carolyn Jones, Jackie Coogan, and Ted Cassidy’s hand. Spare us, please.
I would respectfully disagree. As a regular listener of their podcast, I enjoy the Bat-history lessons and have NO desire (and also, no offense to anyone), to see another replica Bat-cowl, belt, shield, etc. I don't care about the toys. I want insight into what it was like at the studio, on the set and in the Greenway offices in 1965-67.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

High C wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:45 am
I would respectfully disagree. As a regular listener of their podcast, I enjoy the Bat-history lessons and have NO desire (and also, no offense to anyone), to see another replica Bat-cowl, belt, shield, etc. I don't care about the toys. I want insight into what it was like at the studio, on the set and in the Greenway offices in 1965-67.
Of course Astin would have limited input on that, but he and Julie are about the only ones left with insight on how villains were cast and what it was like to be on set. I'm not really interested anymore in the "replacing Frank Gorshin" question.
High C

Post by High C »

bat-rss wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:20 pm Of course Astin would have limited input on that, but he and Julie are about the only ones left with insight on how villains were cast and what it was like to be on set. I'm not really interested anymore in the "replacing Frank Gorshin" question.
Hmmm, I happen to remember someone else who still is alive and doing a lot of interviews and public appearances, and she might have some insight into the topic of how villains were cast. I think she lives in a subterranean grotto somewhere. 8-)

But to be fair, Joan Collins rarely talks about the show.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

What about Lee Meriwether?