How did the Bat-Poles/Automatic Bat-Costume Changer work???

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

To The Batpoles!

How did the Bat-Poles/Automatic Bat-Costume Changer work???

Post by To The Batpoles! »

Hi Gang!

YEARS ago, I posted this question to the Bat-Community and it got an AMAZING response and we had a lot of fun with it, so I thought I would try it again since there have been so many new members since then!

Here we go:
Since they never, "ACTUALLY" showed or really explained how it worked on the show, how did YOU decide (in your mind), just how the Automatic Bat-Costume changer worked when Batman & Robin would slide down the Bat-Poles?

:?: Exactly HOW do you think their costumes changed???

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!
HappyDude

Re: How did the Bat-Poles/Automatic Bat-Costume Changer work

Post by HappyDude »

As a kid I always imagined there to be an intermediate level where they changed. Nowadays I like to think it's more akin to the device used in Wallace & Gromit "The Wrong Trousers".
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

I always think there's an intermediate level where they change clothes, as well.
To The Batpoles!

Post by To The Batpoles! »

Phil B wrote:I always think there's an intermediate level where they change clothes, as well.
If that were the case, then WHY would they need the Automatic Bat-Costume Changer Device?

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!
Batman1962

Post by Batman1962 »

As a kid, I never put much thought into it... I always assumed there was some Bat device that instantly clothed them as they slid down. I read in the Official Batman Batbook that Alan Napier, who played Alfred, thought of a gag where he was cleaning the Batpoles and slipped and slid down into the Batcave wearing Robin's costume. Alas, they wouldn't do it. :(
Aussie Batfan

Post by Aussie Batfan »

The automatic costume changer on the Bat Poles worked in the same way as the never-ending array of gadgets stored in the Utility Belt.
Put logic aside and it's all very easy! ;)
cheers,
Terry
exm

Post by exm »

So the leggings are hanging all stretched out, positioned so that the duo will slide right down into them. As soon as they drop into the leggings, they raise their arms. The super-strong fabric then "sproings" them back upwards into the top half of the one-piece costume (which stretches so much that there is a several foot-gap between the lower and upper half). Their upward momentum lifts the sleeves off the hanging hooks, and gravity forces their descent back down the Bat-poles.

Then - after the Batmobile leaves the Batcave - they undress so they can get their civvies off, and re-don the costumes (Batman is adept at steering with his toes)
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

Well, since Batman is an expert on EVERYTHING, I think that they're both quick change artists.

Either that or they go through something similar to the wardrobe machine that George Jetson had.
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

I bet Burt Ward wishes he could have changed so quickly. His costume was pretty complex. It must have taken at least an hour.
BilltheBat

Post by BilltheBat »

Early transporter technology beamed the costumes onto them. Same rig was being used over on the Desilu lot to send Shatner and Nimoy from the soundstage Enterprise set to the Vasquez Rocks location...
mattman

Post by mattman »

Come on guys
You know how it works
;)
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

Wishful thinking?

Pure imagination?

Something like the watch from Ben10?
brinke

Post by brinke »

I was just thinking of this. I don't think the "Auto Changer" signed showed on the series, just the movie. But I remember thinking of this in 66! As a kid! HOW is he wearing a sweater & slacks..then it all comes off, and the costume comes on? As he is zooming down the pole? RIGHT. And why are the poles labeled? Don't they know who's is who's? And why the sign that says BATPOLES to the BATCAVE? Don't they know where they go? HA!
mattman

Post by mattman »

Looks like a subject I am going to have to try and tackle in the new series!
mattman

Post by mattman »

Looks like a subject I am going to have to try and tackle in the new series!