Script: THE SECRET OF THE IMPOSSIBLE CRIMES, by Leonard Stadd

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

vintagematt

Re: Script: THE SECRET OF THE IMPOSSIBLE CRIMES, by Leonard Stadd

Post by vintagematt »

I agree with High C, this seems very salvageable to me and could have made a decent episode!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

High C wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:29 pm I'd like to reiterate that once I got past the obvious missteps by the scripter, I thought the arc had a workable plot with decent motivations for Joker, certainly better than much of the silliness of seasons 2 and 3. Put it this way--I am at a loss to understand why this one was tossed and the Jay Thompson 'Dr. Temporal' script was deemed salvageable. That one was unfilmable from jump street. I will be fascinated to see Semple's letter to Dozier about this script, because they soon would be receiving far worse scripts in terms of overall quality.

I think Semple was too hasty in tossing this one, unless maybe he already had mined it for his Penguin arc deathtrap. As epaddon said, a furnace in an umbrella factory is a weird sell to the layperson.
I think 100% of the reason Thompson's script was salvaged and this wasn't was that, for this one, Lorenzo Semple was the script editor, and for the Thompson script, he wasn't! More on that in the podcast itself.
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
High C

Post by High C »

bat-rss wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:53 am
High C wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:29 pm I'd like to reiterate that once I got past the obvious missteps by the scripter, I thought the arc had a workable plot with decent motivations for Joker, certainly better than much of the silliness of seasons 2 and 3. Put it this way--I am at a loss to understand why this one was tossed and the Jay Thompson 'Dr. Temporal' script was deemed salvageable. That one was unfilmable from jump street. I will be fascinated to see Semple's letter to Dozier about this script, because they soon would be receiving far worse scripts in terms of overall quality.

I think Semple was too hasty in tossing this one, unless maybe he already had mined it for his Penguin arc deathtrap. As epaddon said, a furnace in an umbrella factory is a weird sell to the layperson.
I think 100% of the reason Thompson's script was salvaged and this wasn't was that, for this one, Lorenzo Semple was the script editor, and for the Thompson script, he wasn't! More on that in the podcast itself.
I'll look forward to hearing that next week. Although that sounds odd, given that both scripts are dated November 1965. I hope today's episode went well.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17