Where is Gotham City

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Kite Kid

Re: Where is Gotham City

Post by Kite Kid »

Yellow Oval wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:19 am Kite Kid - Love the name, love the avatar! 8-)
Thank you, Yellow Oval! He's a superhero character I imagined years ago, obviously inspired by Kite Man, who obviously was inspired by Charlie Brown. I am a "Peanuts" fanatic, so I envisioned him as a grown-up "Chuck" Brown using trick kites in a manner similar to how Green Arrow employs trick arrows. KK fights crime with his superhero wife, Red Hot (the now-grown little red-haired girl, natch) and their canine companion, UltiMutt (guess who?). UltiMutt is, of course, inspired by Blue Falcon's Dynomutt, which was heavily influenced by Batman. See how it all comes full circle? :-)
Yellow Oval wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:17 am I also pictured (and still do) Metropolis to be D.C.'s version of Chicago, Star City is Dallas, Central City is St. Louis, and Coast City is Los Angeles.
I've generally thought along these same lines: that Gotham is New York and Metropolis is Chicago, and the others you mentioned. The series references a few more fictional cities analogous to real places, including: Motor City and Windy City (The Motor City Wheels and the Windy City Wildcats baseball teams are mentioned in "Rats Like Cheese"); and Southern City (Julia Davis, the winner of the Miss Galaxy contest, hails from there in "A Riddle a Day Keeps the Riddler Away"). I assume these are meant to suggest Detroit, Chicago and Atlanta, respectively.

There are other superhero series that took this same approach: "Black Scorpion" was set in Angel City (clearly a stand-in for Los Angeles) and "Superboy" was in Capitol City, FL (Tallahassee?). Similar to the suggestion that Gotham City is in the state of Gotham, Blue Falcon & Dynomutt lived in Big City, which was said to be in Big County in Big State.