TO THE BATPOLES #112: Court BAT-tles: The Law on the '66 Show

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES #112: Court BAT-tles: The Law on the '66 Show

Post by bat-rss »

Batman and Robin are "duly deputized agents of the law." Law comes up on the '66 show on a number of occasions, including two courtroom scenes. The very first episode features the Riddler filing a lawsuit against Batman. But, you might ask, how accurately is the law portrayed on Batman?

In this episode, lawyer Jim Dedman is here to fill us in. How good of a prosecutor is Batman? Does he behave properly as an agent of the law? How would Alfred's method of breaking up the Batman - Marsha nuptials go over in real life? Would Gordon and O'Hara face any charges for unknowingly shooting the Duo in Penguin's shooting gallery? All this and more!

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/112-cou ... he-66-show
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
clavierankh

Re: TO THE BATPOLES #112: Court BAT-tles: The Law on the '66 Show

Post by clavierankh »

Ironically today is the 53rd anniversary of the Miranda decision.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Seen on FB in response to a troll:
"You have the right, but not the ability to remain silent. All this stuff you post will be used against you by the Court of Owls...…..". :-)
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

clavierankh wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:36 am Ironically today is the 53rd anniversary of the Miranda decision.
We always seem to manage to unwittingly hit these anniversaries!
High C

Post by High C »

This was an interesting podcast. Attorney Jim Dedman had many fascinating things to say about how '66 Batman was often off the mark in terms of legal issues.

I'll admit it was disappointing to me that Siren wasn't referenced. I would liked to have heard Mr. Dedman's thoughts on how someone with Siren's powers would be treated by the legal system. In fact, she was one of the few villains to note the heroes (Robin and Batgirl) were trespassing and in violation of the Fourth Amendment. Oh, well.

Speaking of missed opportunities, I agree with him that it would have been fun to make the Catwoman/Joker trial much longer on screen. He made a lot of excellent points about both trials, including what a terrible trial attorney '66 Batman is.

Dedman also was enlightening about how Riddler already had the lawsuit ready beforehand, which was unethical. I also had no idea Alfred impersonating an attorney could be excused because it could be argued it was necessary because others were in danger.

Oh, and I was surprised Tim forgot about Batman endorsing the check in the Joker arc (bad check nananananananana, bad check nananananananana). ;)
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

High C wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:10 pm Oh, and I was surprised Tim forgot about Batman endorsing the check in the Joker arc (bad check nananananananana, bad check nananananananana). ;)
As I believe we said in a recent episode, it's been so long since we watched a lot of the early episodes (four years ago already, except ones that we've done script episodes on), we need to go back and start the series over to refresh our memories!
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Its odd that a series that set out to have Batman be so "up" on just about every law known to mankind would eventually be portrayed as being legally inept in certain episodes. I'm nut sure If that was done for humor (not that average audience member would be able to identify holes in Batman's application of the law), or was it a case of writers being clueless and just throwing "legalease" into the script just to move from one page to another?
Beneath Wayne Manor
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:50 am Its odd that a series that set out to have Batman be so "up" on just about every law known to mankind would eventually be portrayed as being legally inept in certain episodes. I'm nut sure If that was done for humor (not that average audience member would be able to identify holes in Batman's application of the law), or was it a case of writers being clueless and just throwing "legalease" into the script just to move from one page to another?
Considering the S3 episodes offered up some of the weakest comebacks against villains (i.e. batsuits created from a pill in water, becoming pied pipers for mice, 3-second flat combination unscrambler), it eas presumably just lazy "get it done" writing.