BAT 77 Episode #17 - Legends of Yesteryear

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BAT 77

BAT 77 Episode #17 - Legends of Yesteryear

Post by BAT 77 »

Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 11.40.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 11.40.07 AM.png (218.58 KiB) Viewed 4960 times
After a decade of Hollywood typecasting and subsisting on personal appearances in costume, Adam West and Burt Ward were hopeful that NBC would give them a shot at reviving the live-action adventures of Batman and Robin. Instead they and the majority of Bat fans were let down by the shoddy production known as “Legends of the Superheroes”. Will JB find anything good to say about these television “specials”?

SHOW LINK - http://bat77.libsyn.com/17-legends-of-yesteryear

NOTE: My episode discussing the toys and merchandise of the 1970s will be recorded and released at a later time - probably around the holidays. Starting next episode, I will begin my reviews of Batman and Detective Comics of the 1970s which will take at least two years to get through. So buckle your Bat Belt and get ready to begin the journey with me!
BAT 77 - My '70s Batman Childhood
Subscribe to the Podcast at http://bat77.libsyn.com
Visit me on Facebook.com/bat77podcast
robinboyblunderer

Re: BAT 77 Episode #17 - Legends of Yesteryear

Post by robinboyblunderer »

While it's near impossible to ignore the stupid end of the cowl looking awful on Batman, there is something good about the 77 specials. Batman beating up Solomon Grundy and getting to punch out the Riddler one last time in live action.
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

I remember being SORELY disappointed with these when they aired. The Superman movie and Wonder Woman and Hulk shows, whatever failing they may have had, presented their heroes earnestly. Now, the less said about the Spider-Man TV show, the better. Well, it did have an awesome theme.

Obviously, I don't mind parodies, or I wouldn't love the 66 Batman show, but it was funny and creative. This....Isn't. Isn't it sad that this was the first time we got to see Flash, Huntress, Hawkman or Black Canary in live action. Poor Canary. This is even more humiliating for her than the fact that she's been dating Green Arrow for decades.

Anyway, I've only seen these once since they originally aired. They were even worse as an adult. JB, I can't imagine sitting through them enough times to prep a podcast on them. Don't torture yourself like that.
BAT 77

Post by BAT 77 »

gothosmansion wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:56 am

Obviously, I don't mind parodies, or I wouldn't love the 66 Batman show, but it was funny and creative.
See, I never thought of '66 Batman as a parody. It was my first encounter with the character, so I wouldn't have known better, but by most accounts, it was a pretty accurate rendition of what the comics were doing since the late 1950s. This set of 19'79 specials was more a farce than a parody of the comic book genre.
Anyway, I've only seen these once since they originally aired. They were even worse as an adult. JB, I can't imagine sitting through them enough times to prep a podcast on them. Don't torture yourself like that.
Well, it's all done, so I won't have to watch them again. :)

It wasn't that traumatic of an experience, and I enjoy poking at cheesy films and TV shows I really only concentrated on Adam's, Burt's and Frank's performances for the podcast. Hope you enjoyed the recap and review.
BAT 77 - My '70s Batman Childhood
Subscribe to the Podcast at http://bat77.libsyn.com
Visit me on Facebook.com/bat77podcast