What replaced BATMAN ?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

FLOYDLEWIS

What replaced BATMAN ?

Post by FLOYDLEWIS »

What replaced BATMAN ?
when the episodes were cut to once a week , it was ok , because wednesday was replaced with
The Avengers , when BATMAN was really cancelled , it was replaced by something called The Ugliest Girl in Town (I was there and I still don't remember that thing)
finally BATMAN returned as reruns on our local TVs during the 1970s , but now most of us , at last , we had color tvs to view it with..
..in 1978 batman was again pulled from the airwaves , but this time it was replaced in most markets by a cartoon hanna barbera got from Japan , there it was called gatchaman , but we remember it as the show that replaced BATMAN , Battle of the planets ,and it was great
gothosmansion

Re: What replaced BATMAN ?

Post by gothosmansion »

In my heart, nothing ever did.
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

In Sydney, Australia, "Batman" didn't start airing until halfway through 1967 (Sunday and Tuesday nights), but when episodes ran out, I am sure the Sunday time slot went to "Captain Nice" and/or "Mr Terrific".
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
High C

Post by High C »

Complete and utter lawlessness in Gotham City.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
FLOYDLEWIS

Post by FLOYDLEWIS »

"Captain Nice" was NBC and "Mr Terrific was CBS (yes CBS had a superhero also) here in the states they were long gone before BATMAN left ..come to think of it ..all of TV became boring ever since ...and how many program or movie pitch meeting starts with the words "its just like BATMAN"
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

The show that technically replaced it on ABC's schedule following the Minerva episode was "The Second Hundred Years," a one-season comedy starring Monte Markham. The Ugliest Girl premiered that September.

That show had been airing on Wednesday nights, with that spot replaced by a game show, "Dream House," where contestants would compete to win --a $40,000 house. Of course, in 2019 terms, that would be a home close worth nearly $300,000.

The Avengers actually followed a half-season flop, "Custer," a fictionalized version of the ill-fated general.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Dr. Shimel wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:42 am The show that technically replaced it on ABC's schedule following the Minerva episode was "The Second Hundred Years," a one-season comedy starring Monte Markham. The Ugliest Girl premiered that September.

That show had been airing on Wednesday nights, with that spot replaced by a game show, "Dream House," where contestants would compete to win --a $40,000 house. Of course, in 2019 terms, that would be a home close worth nearly $300,000.

The Avengers actually followed a half-season flop, "Custer," a fictionalized version of the ill-fated general.
Interesting information, Dr. Shimel. The network had it on the chopping block for some time, and they actually bet on the Markham show just filling a long held slot and succeeding. Apparently, it was cancelled not long after taking Batman's slot.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

"Custer" and "Batman" Season 3 ads in a Marvel comic by Ian McLean, on Flickr

"All new 'Batman' adventures: Batman and Robin with Batgirl. See your favorites, The Penguin and Catwoman! See diabolical new villains as the Caped Crusader battles them with the new crimefighter, Batgirl, at his side! Thursday nights at 7.30. All times EST. Check local listings for your area. (c) 1967 National Periodical Publications, Inc."
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)