Were the Green Hornet episodes the only ones not to have a Guest Villian in the credits?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

dell

Were the Green Hornet episodes the only ones not to have a Guest Villian in the credits?

Post by dell »

The Green Hornet and Kato are listed as Guest Heroes, but Colonel Gumm is not listed as a villain in the opening credits.

And another thing, it is rather sad that Colonel Gumm manages to defeat Batman and Robin and the Green Hornet and Kato all in one bat fight. I found him to be rather underwhelming, but he somehow defeats all four good guys in about a minute.
dell
High C

Re: Were the Green Hornet episodes the only ones not to have a Guest Villian in the credits?

Post by High C »

Correct, old chum. Worse yet, he was paid only $2000 instead of the standard $3500, per Dozier's files.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Kamdan

Re: Were the Green Hornet episodes the only ones not to have a Guest Villian in the credits?

Post by Kamdan »

Jill St. John was billed as a guest star in the first two episodes.
cammy85

Post by cammy85 »

Colonel Gumm was left out probably because of the Green Hornet and Kato's schtick as a crimefighters masquerading as master criminals.

With the difference in tones in both shows (especially by Batman's second season), how many of you can admit to watching both shows when they originally aired? This may have been a way to show the differing styles of the characters as they both end up fighting the rooks and each other in the end.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

cammy85 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:14 am With the difference in tones in both shows (especially by Batman's second season), how many of you can admit to watching both shows when they originally aired?
I was nearly four when Batman premiered (my birthday is in March) and immediately captivated by the show. As a kid that young, I naturally relied on my folks to watch the show with me and my younger brother.

I remember my dad asking me a few days before the GH premiere if I wanted to watch Green Hornet or Tarzan (the Ron Ely series was premiering the same night and time as GH, on a different channel.) I knew nothing of Tarzan or Green Hornet, but when my dad described each one I decided on GH (after much agonizing over the unfairness of not being able to watch both), probably because it seemed more Batman-like. When we watched the show, though, I found it confusing. I loved the car and gadgets, and Kato was obviously a force to be reckoned with, but I didn't get the notion of good guys pretending to be criminals. (I'm still not sure I get that; wouldn't the underworld figure out the ruse pretty quick, even if the police and Mike Axford didn't?) I also think a lot of the criminal-syndicate type plots were harder for my kid mind to understand than, say, Riddler robbing a bank.

After a few weeks, curiosity got the better of me, and I asked Dad if we could check out Tarzan. We did, but I didn't like that any better, and I think we eventually stopped watching TV on Friday nights. My folks lost interest in Batman after season 2 as well—the arrival of another brother and a family move may have had something to do with that—so I never knew about Batgirl until discovering season 3 in syndication several years later.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

cammy85 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:14 am With the difference in tones in both shows (especially by Batman's second season), how many of you can admit to watching both shows when they originally aired?
I was nearly four when Batman premiered (my birthday is in March) and immediately captivated by the show. As a kid that young, I naturally relied on my folks to watch the show with me and my younger brother.

I remember my dad asking me a few days before the GH premiere if I wanted to watch Green Hornet or Tarzan (the Ron Ely series was premiering the same night and time as GH, on a different channel). I knew nothing of Tarzan or Green Hornet, but when my dad described each one I decided on GH (after much agonizing over the unfairness of not being able to watch both), probably because it seemed more Batman-like. When we watched the show, though, I found it confusing. I loved the car and gadgets, and Kato was obviously a force to be reckoned with, but I didn't get the notion of good guys pretending to be criminals. (I'm still not sure I get that; wouldn't the underworld figure out the ruse pretty quick, even if the police and Mike Axford didn't?) I also think a lot of the criminal-syndicate type plots were harder for my kid mind to understand than, say, Riddler robbing a bank.

After a few weeks, curiosity got the better of me, and I asked Dad if we could check out Tarzan. We did, but I didn't like that any better, and I think we eventually stopped watching TV on Friday nights. My folks lost interest in Batman after season 2 as well—the arrival of another brother and a family move may have had something to do with that—so I never knew about Batgirl until discovering season 3 in syndication several years later.