Batman scripts

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

chrisbcritter

Re: Batman scripts

Post by chrisbcritter »

Finished with the St. Joseph Sandman script. Better than the final, final one? In some places. In others, eh... There is a rather dark twist near the end which I can see why it was changed - although it wouldn't be a good enough reason for the rewrite it got.

Still, Tim and Paul have the script, so I won't comment further since I would imagine they'll want to go in depth when they tackle it on the podcast (Bat-rss, is your copy dated the same as mine?) and I don't want to be a spoiler.

As to "Death in Slow Motion", like I said it's nearly identical to the episode as aired. It now has the "Pauline in the Batcave" sequence almost exactly as filmed.

Minor differences include Mrs. Jane Van Jones being the one who throws the punch in the "dress color" scene (her character was dropped); Pauline gasses Robin with her bonnet rather than the shepherd's crook; Robin is tied to the conveyor belt; and in the Chessman Building sequence, Riddler is "wearing spectacles and silly hat, costumed a la Harold Lloyd". At the end of that sequence Batman pulls Robin into a nearby window rather than onto the roof.

As I said, this final draft was dated March 7, 1966, which was a little over a month after Howie Horwitz received the "Final Draft Polish" that was the latest one on the podcast. Anyone know the filming dates?
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

chrisbcritter wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:20 am As to "Death in Slow Motion", like I said it's nearly identical to the episode as aired. It now has the "Pauline in the Batcave" sequence almost exactly as filmed.

Minor differences include Mrs. Jane Van Jones being the one who throws the punch in the "dress color" scene (her character was dropped); Pauline gasses Robin with her bonnet rather than the shepherd's crook; Robin is tied to the conveyor belt; and in the Chessman Building sequence, Riddler is "wearing spectacles and silly hat, costumed a la Harold Lloyd". At the end of that sequence Batman pulls Robin into a nearby window rather than onto the roof.

As I said, this final draft was dated March 7, 1966, which was a little over a month after Howie Horwitz received the "Final Draft Polish" that was the latest one on the podcast. Anyone know the filming dates?
D.I.S.M. started shooting on Friday 25th March, and wrapped on Friday 1st April, 1966. The Batcave scenes were shot on Wednesday 30th March. Interestingly, Batcave pickup scenes for The Bookworm episode were also shot the same day as well as Jerry Lewis' appearace durint the show's debut window cameo.
Screenshot 2020-07-15 at 11.05.28.jpg
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Thanks Ben!
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

I have since gotten the Bookworm and Curse of Tut scripts; unfortunately the latter is missing the last 25% or so - it cuts off shortly before the second kidnapping of Bruce/Batman. Some scripts are listed as missing pages, but not this one. I contacted them last month and asked for another copy, or confirmation that their copy was incomplete, and have heard nothing back.

Has anyone else purchased that script? It's dated March 7, 1966. Part 2 is titled "Some Kind of a Nut" instead of "The Pharoah's in a Rut".
Troy

Post by Troy »

The final script was also re-written to include Kitty
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

chrisbcritter wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:14 pm I have since gotten the Bookworm and Curse of Tut scripts; unfortunately the latter is missing the last 25% or so - it cuts off shortly before the second kidnapping of Bruce/Batman.
The Tut episodes are among my favorites, and I'd love to read any draft scripts that turn up. Please let us know if you locate a complete version.

Part one has a scene I really love, just because it's so odd—the chat between henchmen Scrivener and Grand Vizier as they're driving the ambulance with Bruce in the back:

Scrivener: I wonder how much he's going to ask for Bruce Wayne? I hear he's a rich millionaire.

Vizier: You know, Harry, that Tut's a kook—but he's got brains. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't wind up with the keenest gang since old Moe got the hot squat.

There's no comparable scene I can think of anywhere else in the series—a pure character beat (it does nothing to advance the plot), focused solely on goons. The bit about "old Moe" and the "hot squat" (presumably the electric chair?) is both wacky and suggestive of a larger Gotham underworld outside the scope of the show. The scene does a lot with a couple of lines.

I'm also curious about how that scene was scripted, because only the Vizier's lines are delivered onscreen. The Scrivener's line is spoken over a shot of Bruce Wayne on the gurney, suggesting it may have been looped in as an afterthought. Was it scripted as shot, or did they make changes in post?
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Does anyone have the revised scripts of the Sandman episodes after Catwoman was included?

cheers
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

robinboyblunderer wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:07 pm Does anyone have the revised scripts of the Sandman episodes after Catwoman was included?

cheers
Reach out to Troy here on the message board via PM.
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Ben Bentley wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:44 am
robinboyblunderer wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:07 pm Does anyone have the revised scripts of the Sandman episodes after Catwoman was included?

cheers
Reach out to Troy here on the message board via PM.
Thanks will do.