Which Comic Books/Graphic Novels are closest to the TV Series?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

dell

Which Comic Books/Graphic Novels are closest to the TV Series?

Post by dell »

Some of the local libraries have a selection of graphic novels that can be checked out. I have read a few, but none of the Batman ones. Which, if any, titles are closest to the Batman TV show that you would recommend? The cover art on many of them makes me think they have nothing to do with the characters from the TV series, which is why I have been reluctant to check them out.
dell
Keith Mayo

Re: Which Comic Books/Graphic Novels are closest to the TV Series?

Post by Keith Mayo »

Seen at BAM for $5.

Description

For the first time, DC Comics collects Batman stories originally published between 1948 and 1966 that were adapted into specific episodes of the classic Batman TV series! Starring The Joker, The Penguin, The Riddler and Mr. Freeze (here called “Mr. Zero”), and featuring the debut of Batgirl, these stories have never been collected together before. Collected from BATMAN #53, 73, 121, 140, 169 and 171, and DETECTIVE COMICS #230, 346 and 359.
Attachments
61dd97d590L._AC_SY400_.jpg
61dd97d590L._AC_SY400_.jpg (37.68 KiB) Viewed 2990 times
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
dell

Post by dell »

Thanks. The library in town doesn't have this, but the library in the next county has several Batman 66 graphic novel. The libraries are closed, but they offer curbside pickup. I'll get down that way soon.
dell
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I’d agree with Keith here.
You can also see if they have CAPED CRUSADER ARCHIVES— 2 volumes of the stories featuring the “new look” Batman. Batman in the 50s is a trade paperback and much of what they took for the show came from that era too— False Face, etc. Batman in the 60s is the follow up and that even has an introduction by Adam West.

Eventually as the show went on the comics started to mirror the show more so any collection that contains the show years will reflect some of this.

If you want to read prime Batman, which has the flavor of the best of the first season, Batman in the 40s is IMO his best era.
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

dell wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:14 pm The library in the next county has several Batman 66 graphic novel. The libraries are closed, but they offer curbside pickup. I'll get down that way soon.
I assume you are referring to “Batman ‘66” collection (the licensed comics collected in both hardcover and trade paperbacks)? Five volumes, comprising the 30 regular issues and the Two-Face special.

Batman 66 collection by Ian McLean, on Flickr

There is also the chunky “Solo” omnibus (top left), which features a "Batman '66"-inspired story. There are alternate covers, but one even features the Batusi cover.

All the crossover team-ups (with “Green Hornet”, Steed & Mrs Peel “The Avengers”, “The Man from U.N.C.L.E.” and “Wonder Woman ‘77” are available as collections. Not yet reprinted (bottom row, right) is a single-issue “The Legion of Super-heroes” team-up. Unlikely to find that story in a library.

The more recent "Archie meets Batman" (below) came out in a paperback collection (no hardcover) after being single issues:

Archie meets Batman 66 omnibus by Ian McLean, on Flickr

And arriving soon is the delayed "Catwoman 80th Anniversary" comic (below); it has a "Batman '66" story within and Newmar's Catwoman on one of the alternate covers. But it's not a collection, just a square-bound comic.

Catwoman 80th Anniversary comic by Ian McLean, on Flickr
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)