1966 Batman Trading Cards Questions

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

dreddbatfan

1966 Batman Trading Cards Questions

Post by dreddbatfan »

I was wondering if anybody has the 1966 Batman Trading Cards that the back are a puzzle that when you collect them all they make a picture?How many cards are there total?Are there stickers that go with those cards and how many of them?Thanks for any help that you can give me.
Lounge lizard

Re: 1966 Batman Trading Cards Questions

Post by Lounge lizard »

Topps really got busy in 1966. 5 sets in total.

They did 3 different sets of cards which featured art by Norm Saunders.
The Black Bat series described the story behind each painting on the back while the Red Bat and Blue Bat series had more art that was put together like a jigsaw.

Finally they got round to releasing photo trading card sets of which there were 2.
A 55 card set which also had photo jigsaw sets on the back then the 38 card Riddle Back series had a decoder in each pack to solve the riddle printed on the back. The photos on the front were all framed and featured a number taken from the 1966 movie.
Curiously the cards printed in England by A & BC (a sister company of Topps) were slightly smaller in size...?

No stickers that I'm aware of

Slightly off topic.A & BC sold a Land Of The Giants set in the UK which Topps tested in the USA but didn't go ahead with. The small amount of slightly larger sized US test cards that were printed sell for ridiculous amounts of money.
Therin of Andor

Re: 1966 Batman Trading Cards Questions

Post by Therin of Andor »

Lounge lizard wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:35 am Finally they got round to releasing photo trading card sets of which there were 2.
A 55 card set which also had photo jigsaw sets on the back then the 38 card Riddle Back series had a decoder in each pack to solve the riddle printed on the back. The photos on the front were all framed and featured a number taken from the 1966 movie.

Curiously the cards printed in England by A & BC (a sister company of Topps) were slightly smaller in size...?
In Australia, we got the first 1966 movie photo "Bat Laffs" set from Scanlens in 1967, but never the "Riddler Back" set.

Scanlens Bat Laffs movie cards, 1967 by Ian McLean, on Flickr

I finally rebought a Scanlens set a few years ago - and then found the Dutch-language edition of the UK "Riddler Back" set for a good price. (Those cards have a coin-scratch waxy covering over the riddle panel, to reveal the answers, instead of the hard-to-find plastic US decoder.)

Dutch "Riddler Back" movie card reverse by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Topps "Riddler Back" movie card reverse by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Topps "Riddler Back" riddle decoder by Ian McLean, on Flickr
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)