Wow! Unseen Adam West Interview 1966

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BatMite

Wow! Unseen Adam West Interview 1966

Post by BatMite »

The Green Hornet topic posted newly unearthed interview footage with Bruce Lee and while watching that I noticed the same interviewee also interviewed Adam West in full Batman costume in 1966. It begins with short behind-the-scenes footage. It’s amazing footage like this turns up. There’s also Leonard Nimoy in his Spock costume. Adam appears at 22:08.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb_W2kC7BEw&t=1535s
Commodore Schmidlapp

Re: Wow! Unseen Adam West Interview 1966

Post by Commodore Schmidlapp »

Tremendous find!

That's some excellent footage of Adam climbing the giant umbrella.

He even seems somewhat in character for the interview. Then again in that costume, it'd be hard not to be. ;)
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I adore this footage! It has been floating around for a number of years but this recent upload that you've linked to appears to be a better quality than the version I have saved.

Any opportunity to see Adam interviewed (in costume to boot!) whilst the show was in production is always a thrill. Throw in that awesome behind the scenes shot of him climbing the umbrella and this is pure gold.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

I love the clip -- and it's new to me.

Any idea of the date of this clip? If they were still shooting Fine Feathered Finks when this interview was shot, wouldn't it have to have been before the show premiered? Even if they'd finished shooting the episode and just had Adam climb the giant umbrella as a photo op, it still would have been very early in production, right? (The umbrella setup would have been broken down quite soon after it was needed, wouldn't it?)
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Adam West in that suit will always bring a smile to my face. I go right back to that little kid with my eyes locked on the screen.
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Jim Akin wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:37 am I love the clip -- and it's new to me.

Any idea of the date of this clip? If they were still shooting Fine Feathered Finks when this interview was shot, wouldn't it have to have been before the show premiered? Even if they'd finished shooting the episode and just had Adam climb the giant umbrella as a photo op, it still would have been very early in production, right? (The umbrella setup would have been broken down quite soon after it was needed, wouldn't it?)
During an initial Google search I came up blank for an original airdate of the interview with Adam. I don't have a call sheet or shooting schedule for these episodes, so sadly I can't tell you which specific day of the six day shoot that the interview took place. I can however tell you by way of a "Cast Requirements" document that "Fine Feathered Finks" started shooting on Monday 22nd November 1965 and wrapped on Monday 29th. I don't have a call sheet or shooting schedule for these episodes, so sadly I can't tell you which specific day of the six day shoot that the interview took place.
Cast_Requirements-E03_E04.jpg
PNGUINN

Post by PNGUINN »

Note his bat emblem is considerably higher than usual in that interview, it’s usually slap bang in the middle of his breast and it’s higher here. As discussed on another thread this is much more flattering and more like the comics.

For comparison :

batbelfry

Post by batbelfry »

You can see Batman and Robin in costume in the background during Bruce Lee's interview...
Bruce Lee Int.jpg