How do I license BM 66 for a product?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

rsaffle

How do I license BM 66 for a product?

Post by rsaffle »

I am designing a Batman 66 board game ( something I have always wanted to do ) and I was wondering if anybody knows how to go about or possibly has licensed anything Batman related?
Who owns the Batman 66 rights...Disney?
I have no idea how much it would even cost but I'm willing to see if its possible.

Any ideas or advice is welcomed. It would be a shame to go do all of this work and then not be able to produce it.
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
High C

Re: How do I license BM 66 for a product?

Post by High C »

rsaffle wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:16 pm I am designing a Batman 66 board game ( something I have always wanted to do ) and I was wondering if anybody knows how to go about or possibly has licensed anything Batman related?
Who owns the Batman 66 rights...Disney?
I have no idea how much it would even cost but I'm willing to see if its possible.

Any ideas or advice is welcomed. It would be a shame to go do all of this work and then not be able to produce it.
Warner Bros. owns Batman '66.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

I would assume the rights aren’t cheap. But if your product did get to market I would be glad to support it. A ‘66 bat-board game sounds fun!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
rsaffle

Re: How do I license BM 66 for a product

Post by rsaffle »

THE BATPHONE! wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:45 pm I would assume the rights aren’t cheap. But if your product did get to market I would be glad to support it. A ‘66 bat-board game sounds fun!
Yeah, I wouldn’t think it would be cheap either. I may contact a couple companies that already have a license going..maybe I could sell it through them?
Big ideas have to start somewhere. Lol
vintagematt

Re: How do I license BM 66 for a product

Post by vintagematt »

rsaffle wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:33 pm
THE BATPHONE! wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:45 pm I would assume the rights aren’t cheap. But if your product did get to market I would be glad to support it. A ‘66 bat-board game sounds fun!
Yeah, I wouldn’t think it would be cheap either. I may contact a couple companies that already have a license going..maybe I could sell it through them?
Big ideas have to start somewhere. Lol

Make sure to keep us posted! It would be great if it becomes a reality! :D
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
dell

Post by dell »

I don't want to discourage you, but what is the intent of this endeavor? Is this a serious attempt at creating a board game that will make money? Or is this something you want to do as a fan of the Batman TV show and you are willing to do it even for a loss?

A quick check of Boardgamegeek.com shows 82 games with a Batman tie-in of some sort. I didn't look carefully, but only a few of those have a 1966 theme, but there is still there is a lot of competition in the overall Batman theme.

Are you a gamer? What kind of game will this be? Competitive? Cooperative? Solo? A Eurogame or American-style? Have you designed a game before? A friend of mine did it; it's a lot of work. It took him a couple of years.

I am a serious board gamer and can tell you that games based on TV shows are usually not well received by serious gamers. The games tend to be forced to compromise either on the game play to accommodate the TV show theme or the show theme is poorly implemented on top of a game engine.
dell
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Sounds cool! Our member, Mark Racop got the license to build real Batmobiles. he probably has real genuine insight and experience than anybody else here with it. You can try reaching out to him here via PM or though his Batmobile company, Fiberglass Freaks:
https://fiberglassfreaks.com/
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

dell wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:04 pm I don't want to discourage you, but what is the intent of this endeavor? Is this a serious attempt at creating a board game that will make money? Or is this something you want to do as fan?
I appreciate all comments. I have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting myself into but I do like to hear the good and the bad of the idea. I have no published commercial games but I have designed a couple that I mocked up and put into test phases with gamers. I have experience designing toys and simple card games for kids and some comic book experience. I helped a good friend design and produce fashonable sandels and a dog toy chew line based on created cartoon characters...but both ultimately failed in the market and each one did lose money...but not mine. Lol

I know I can produce the graphics and i have some experience dealing with Chinese production companies and self marketing Im looking into the idea of selling it through a game company that is already established and what it would take to market it myself. I'm not in position to lose money but I'm open to a crowd funding effort too.
I have been working towards designing a game for production but only recently thought of combining my Batman love into it. No idea if its possible to get the license but then again I see some small companies getting the license and producing buttons, paper crafts etc. So some people have done it. It probably won't happen because i do realize how much work it will take but that's why I'm asking outloud. Groups like this have many creative and knowledgeable members like yourself and i need that help.

BTW, if I can't get a license I could always release it as a print and play style game and make any game pieces 3D printable. I guess the answer to your question is yes. i'm a fan boy wanting to just make a game and yes I want something serious.

Appreciate your help guys.
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

First, let me say that I love the idea of a sit down board game based on the 1966 Batman. I have no clue how successful it will be, but I would be thrilled to sell copies in my upcoming museum. Licensing is expensive, time consuming, and at times a big pain in the butt, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. The doors it will open for you are tremendous, especially for publicity. There will most certainly be an up-front fee, and then there will be a quarterly royalty payment due.

It sounds like you're pretty serious. Send me an email and I'll give you more detailed information: mark.racop@fiberglassfreaks.com