TO THE BATPOLES #141: The Red Hood and a Couple of Top Hats

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES #141: The Red Hood and a Couple of Top Hats

Post by bat-rss »

This time we resume reviewing the Batman '66 comic book series, with issues 3 and 4, featuring Joker, the Red Hood (huh? Isn't that Joker?), Egghead, the Mad Hatter, and Clock King. We discuss why Robin had two "holys" in a row, the mysterious floating egg-hat, Londinium suddenly becoming London, an unexpected kinship between villains, and more.

Plus, Hefti's “Batman” theme performed by Eddie Vedder and daughter Harper, and your reaction to episode 138's "Batman Forever" discussion!

https://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/141-th ... f-top-hats
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Dan E Kool

Re: TO THE BATPOLES #141: The Red Hood and a Couple of Top Hats

Post by Dan E Kool »

Adam West looks like he's got those Val Kilmer lips in that cover art.

Great show as always. Listening to you two critique these comics takes me back to when I first read them so many years ago. I think my initial reaction was about the same.

The dialogue is often ...not Semplian. Ditto the story lines. And, like you two, that was initially a let down. But as time goes by, I find that I can enjoy the '66 comics more than I did the first time around. Rereading the stories after listening to this podcast, I find that Jeff Parker gets a lot more right than he gets wrong. "BATMAN DOES NOT SAY BOY WONDER!!!1" aside, Parker gets Adam West's line delivery style across well. And the art is true to the source material, too. As Tim mentioned, the Batmobile and Bat-copter look spot on. Overall I think it's a cool series and I'm glad it was made.

Perhaps it's unfair (or even blasphemous) to hold a mere mortal like Jeff Parker to the standard set by Lorezno Semple Jr.
Jeff did alright.

I've only read these as digital comics (because I'm young and hip and "with it" and it's all I could get). In fact, they're the only digital comic books I've ever read. As a medium it's fine I guess. Kind of gimmicky. Better than nothing.

PS - I think the Warden Crichton redesign is a nod to DC character Amanda Waller. Maybe?
- Boy Genius