TO THE BATPOLES #142: Fine-Tuning "The Penguin Goes Straight"

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES #142: Fine-Tuning "The Penguin Goes Straight"

Post by bat-rss »

When you see a script marked “FINAL,” you probably assume that it’s word-for-word the same as what was shot. In the case of “The Penguin Goes Straight”/“Not Yet He Ain’t”, it’s not even the final script! It was followed by a “revised final” script, which still varies significantly from what was shot. Many lines are changed, scenes are tightened up, unnecessary scenes are cut. This time we take a look at both scripts in comparison with what made it to film, and contemplate the reasons for the changes.

Plus, the Finality (drumstep) version of the theme, and your mail about episode 139, "Batman Meets Godzilla" #2 and the Battle Over the Batmobile!

https://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/142-fi ... s-straight
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Gotham Traveler

Re: TO THE BATPOLES #142: Fine-Tuning "The Penguin Goes Straight"

Post by Gotham Traveler »

Long-time listener of your podcast, but first-time poster (about your podcast and on this message board!). :D

I really enjoy these script review episodes as it's always so interesting to see what changed in the Final, then what changed again in the Final Revised, and then what changed AGAIN in the filmed episode! I was surprised to learn that Penguin's little song wasn't actually scripted as a song and agree that Meredith must have decided that was a suitably Penguin-y thing to do, which I tend to agree with. Paul, I also have to agree with you about Meredith's nose makeup/prosthetic - that was a little bit of a drawback of the glorious high-definition release of the show, but it's easily forgiven. As a fan of Doctor Who, I'm used to having to deal with somewhat dubious special effects and makeup designs, especially when viewed on Blu-ray. :)
"Watch out, Batman! The powers of darkness lurk in this room!"
High C

Post by High C »

Sirs, thanks for the shoutouts on my comments. This was an interesting look at how TV scripts are tweaked right up until the final minute.

Paul, you made a good point. I misread the room when I said that the ending was a deus ex machina. As you noted, what it really boiled down to was Semple retrofitting the rest of the story to fit the ending so that he could make the Batmobile/Birdmobile the star of the climax. Nonetheless, I still think it did not fit Pengy.

Semple's decision to cut the Reggie Rich character out of a subsequent scene, so that the actor wouldn't be needed for another day of shooting, made me hark back to your show with former University of Wyoming archivist Oscar Lilley. He noted how Semple often made decisions and suggestions that were budget-savers, more like a producer than a writer, and here was another case of that.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

I really enjoyed this episode, and in going over all that went into the aired episode, it just hammers home the glaring differences of how the show was intended to be produced as opposed to the often downward direction of episodes from seasons 2nd and almost all of the 3rd season, which (as I've pointed out before) too many--including part of the '66 fanbase--like to see as the true tone of the series.

You guys mentioned how some scenes were like something you would see on The Green Hornet, and as I was recalling the episodes, that's true. Remove the ejection-seat dummy bodies and O'Hara's usual thick-skulled behavior, then think of the cliffhanger (one of the best of the series) and the "deaths" of Batman and Robin (shocking / sad t anyone who watched it for the 1st time) and the tone of this arc seems like it could be a more primary colored story you would find on TGH.

As much as there is to love about the GH crossover, imagine how that arc would have played if the Batman series still had the tone of episodes like this one, or the False Face or 1st Mr. Freeze episodes...
Beneath Wayne Manor
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:59 pm As much as there is to love about the GH crossover, imagine how that arc would have played if the Batman series still had the tone of episodes like this one, or the False Face or 1st Mr. Freeze episodes...
...or even The Joker is Wild! ooh, the mind boggles! It could have been a legitimately exciting story.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Another instance of impish Batman: When Alfred waylays Joker on the batpole steam lift in Flop Goes the Joker, pinning him to the ceiling of the pole alcove, the distraught crook crows that he can’t breathe. Batman suggests that Alfred “give him some more breathing room,” and sends Joker plummeting down the shaft toward the Batcave. Joker’s complaint took on unfortunate connotations stateside this year, and Batman’s response definitely wasn’t by-the-book procedure for a duly deputized law officer, but IMHO Joker had it coming.
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Jim Akin wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:25 pm Another instance of impish Batman: When Alfred waylays Joker on the batpole steam lift in Flop Goes the Joker, pinning him to the ceiling of the pole alcove, the distraught crook crows that he can’t breathe. Batman suggests that Alfred “give him some more breathing room,” and sends Joker plummeting down the shaft toward the Batcave. Joker’s complaint took on unfortunate connotations stateside this year, and Batman’s response definitely wasn’t by-the-book procedure for a duly deputized law officer, but IMHO Joker had it coming.
Ooh! Very good D'oh Prize candidate!
High C

Post by High C »

Any hint on when (and what) the next script episode will be (he said, fingers crossed)?
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:59 pm As much as there is to love about the GH crossover, imagine how that arc would have played if the Batman series still had the tone of episodes like this one, or the False Face or 1st Mr. Freeze episodes...
So true. It's a shame they couldn't meet under better circumstances. That stamp guy is a bore.

My favorite moment of "Impish Batman" comes from Episode 10, 'A Death Worse Than Fate.'

With the Dynamic Duo trapped inside his Inescapable Doom Trap, Eivol Ekdol is feeling pretty smug and refers to himself as a genius.
Robin quips, "Yeah, that's what they all say!"
But Batman shushes him and says that they have to humor the villian.
He calls out to Ekdol, "WHAT'S THE BIG IDEA, GENIUS?" :D

Very corny. Totally over the top. I love it.
- Boy Genius
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

Another impish Batman moment is the way they reprogrammed the Joker's robots in The Joker's Epitaph